Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 13:40   #151

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Well, there goes my trip to Cuba !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Hmm, must have missed the Cuban change to Reaganomics-like policy.
Really? You have never heard of Reagan's "Trickle Down Economics"? It helps to have some knowledge of history to comment on these subjects.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 13:51   #152

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Really? You have never heard of Reagan's "Trickle Down Economics"? It helps to have some knowledge of history to comment on these subjects.
Hmm.....yes a knowledge of history is required before you talk about it.

I know the difference between Reaganomics and the economic policy of Cuba. Since it's obvious you don't know the difference, even though I highlighted Reaganomics in my previous post, let me explain. Regan's policy put more money in the hands of corporations and those with the ability to create jobs, Cuba policy is the government gets all the money and provides for their citizens.

Do you see any difference?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:42   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I guess I was fooled by your use of the words "trickle down". I still remember Reagan uttering them. Give to the rich and let it trickle down to the poor. Another failed policy just as the one we are talking about.

Bye, bye, I'm outta here.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:54   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I guess I was fooled by your use of the words "trickle down". I still remember Reagan uttering them. Give to the rich and let it trickle down to the poor. Another failed policy just as the one we are talking about.

Bye, bye, I'm outta here.
Hmm, lots of people offer a differing opinion, some with actual facts:

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.o.../pdf/pa261.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics
Old 31-07-2017, 15:33   #155

Quote:
And Canada's policy toward Cuba has helped how?
Quote:
...Instead of complaining what the US policy towards Cuba is or isn't, why not step up the Canadian support of Cuba?
... I can see you're not that interested in really engaging with the subject. It's ok, this isn't the floor of the UN.

Canada's involvement to date has brought:
  • tourist dollars to the Cuban economy
  • cultural exchanges
  • aid
  • etc.

We and other countries would probably do more... but when the world's superpower doesn't want you to get too close to Cuba... there are limits.

The point remains: if the US's Cuba embargo has not shifted the Castro regime in 60 years, and its only effect is to help keep Cuba from trading like a normal nation (as well as placating the vote-rich Cuban expat community)... is it reasonable to continue with it?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 17:35   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... I can see you're not that interested in really engaging with the subject. It's ok, this isn't the floor of the UN.
Your idea of "engaging with the subject" is agreeing with you?

BTW, as of the last vote, 183 countries in the UN agree with you!

Quote:
Canada's involvement to date has brought:
  • tourist dollars to the Cuban economy
  • cultural exchanges
  • aid
  • etc.

We and other countries would probably do more... but when the world's superpower doesn't want you to get too close to Cuba... there are limits.
Just excuses!

Quote:
The point remains: if the US's Cuba embargo has not shifted the Castro regime in 60 years, and its only effect is to help keep Cuba from trading like a normal nation (as well as placating the vote-rich Cuban expat community)... is it reasonable to continue with it?
Obviously, those of us who have a vote in the US policy believe it's worth continuing. For you that have zero say in US policy, all you are doing is making excuses why your own country won't do more. Maybe you should re-direct your efforts!

You only need to buy ~$5.5B more a year worth of sugar, tobacco, and rum. Of course, you have yet to provide evidence it would help the commoner in Cuba.

FWIW, I don't see a lot that Cuba exports that the US would want!
Old 31-07-2017, 18:30   #157

Quote:
Of course, you have yet to provide evidence it would help the commoner in Cuba.

Economics 101? World history?

(Yeah, you don't care. I'll stop pestering you. Sorry)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:56   #158

Boat: Various

I guess I thought this was a boating forum but it seems to have turned into a political one.

I hate their are countries and areas I can't feel free to boat in and visit. Cuba is one but others in central and south America. Others being added daily throughout the world as countries again assume pugilistic stances. Turkey was a great country for boaters and now one many avoid. Venezuela was once beautiful. As a boater, it bothers me I can't visit a country so close to our borders and a country that I know so many people whose parents came from Cuba.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:40   #159

Moderators what happened to no politics? And to all the people spouting off about whether you can or can't go to Cuba. I just visited Cuba last month. You need a reason for visiting just visit. Just look at the following website https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ntry/cuba.htmlbe sure to scroll down to the 1 of 12 reasons that you need to visit Cuba.
Seems pretty simple. And for the love of god theres even a few people on here that haven't even left the country pontificating about what one should or shouldn't do when traveling. Take a deep breath. and realize that things are done very differently in other countries, especially third world countries. You can legally go to Cuba. One quick google search and you have all the info you need.

And leave the politics off the sailing forum.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:17   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
All these Cuba apologists can write on and on and on about how wonderful it is. One boatload of Cubans risking their lives to get out of there tells me more than any yachtie that chats with a few that didn't have the courage to get out and have to justify it.
So, what do the many thousands of American expatriates tell you about the USA?
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:41   #161

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
So, what do the many thousands of American expatriates tell you about the USA?
That they were free to leave and didn't have to risk their lives to do it?
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:48   #162

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Moderators what happened to no politics? And to all the people spouting off about whether you can or can't go to Cuba. I just visited Cuba last month. You need a reason for visiting just visit. Just look at the following website https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ntry/cuba.htmlbe sure to scroll down to the 1 of 12 reasons that you need to visit Cuba.
Seems pretty simple. And for the love of god theres even a few people on here that haven't even left the country pontificating about what one should or shouldn't do when traveling. Take a deep breath. and realize that things are done very differently in other countries, especially third world countries. You can legally go to Cuba. One quick google search and you have all the info you need.

And leave the politics off the sailing forum.
1) ditto on the "no politics"....not why I am here (except where it directly impacts cruising of course).

So there are a lot of alarmist out there, but I will admit I am concerned about carrying on with my plans to visit Cuba this winter. Of course, as of today, nothing has changed since Obama's roll backs.

Trump on the other hand has "promised" to make any commerce with Cuba's military branches off limits (ie; marina at Varadaro) and has "promised" to remove the People to people educational license...the most obvious and easiest license to meet.

So, as it is still possible to go under say "support for the cuban people" proving so may be more difficult. Am I really that worried, nah. But trying to convince the wife is a whole different matter...

happy to have encouragement to go...cheers
windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 13:08   #163

Boat: Presto 36

I refuse to do business with Cuba, a nation that still has political prisoners.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 13:16   #164

Boat: Farrier F9ax, Edel 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
I refuse to do business with Cuba, a nation that still has political prisoners.
a) who's talking about doing business with Cuba?

b) I doubt we are so innocent either...

"The move comes as part of a deal announced December 17 to normalize relations between the United States and Cuba.

Both nations have previously released political prisoners in a show of goodwill."

windhorze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 13:25   #165

The only question is, whether people in Cuba got a better life after the revolution then before under dictator Batista. And if life compared to before is better now, then none has to blame the Cubans or its Communism.

US has intervened almost every country in south and middle America, often cerveral times openly, through regime change and covered economic means.

Did it bring the averange latin american people a better live then those of the Cubans? I doubt this.

27 milion people died in the US campaigns for "Democracy" in latin america alone since the end of WW2. Thats is quite Hitlerish in the scale of mass murder done by gods own country.

I can understand that some people don't like to go to Cuba for some valid reasons.

But you would better understand, that when there are valid reasons not to go to the US as well. One reason may be that the politics of massmurder, support of torture regimes and intervention in order to blackmail and exploit other nations wealth have never stopped.

Tags
Cuba