Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 22:01   #16

Re: What a dump marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Wow I haven't been there since 06, they were cleaning boats out of Sannibel then. But I never thought the keys were junky just funky. I guess I would not be welcome in Naples today, as well as Venice....
What is it like off Miami?
Actually about 4-5 years back we stopped in Venice on the way from St. Pete to Key West. I kind of liked it. Very laid back and not yet hoity-toity. May be that's changed too, I don't know.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 05:10   #17

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Venice is still the same. Nice town if a little boring with great running along the beach or in old Venice.
Coming into Key West at night was a bit shocking. A few boats, unlit of course, had dragged into the channel Couldn't see them until just a few feet away due to the cloud cover. I can't help but wonder why people living aboard full time with apparently little interest in moving wouldn't attach stronger ground tackle. The derelicts in Bradenton Beach, for instance, mostly had two anchors set on all chain. Didn't see that much in KW.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 06:10   #18

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

We get out of Naples and goto the keys about 10 times a year, we love the keys but the amount of junk boats with no masts half sinking at all the anchorages seems really bad lately. I agree that the keys are actually getting cleaned and the water has greatly improved but it's no wonder there attacking us as boaters for those of you that defend this it is going you ruin it for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 06:12   #19

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Just because the Keys are not as squeaky clean and white as Hoity Toity Naples, doesn't mean it doesn't have more flavor, and it's certainly a lot more interesting to see characters, both people and boats...heheh. Wanna see a rich old white man? Naples. Someone fun with things to say? Key West.
Your talking about something total different than people going to the keys to dump the junk in the water.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 06:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I can't help but wonder why people living aboard full time with apparently little interest in moving wouldn't attach stronger ground tackle.
Could it be that their ground tackle budget is spent at the liquor store or with their favorite herbs seller? That seems to be the obvious explanation for everything that is not right at Key West.
Old 15-03-2015, 06:37   #21

Boat: Monk 36

I've been watching the whole FL anchoring discussion for some time with a lot of interest. I don't live there but when there on business I've seen derelict boats, and they sure are an eyesore. In this wonderful economic recovery we are experiencing (I trust you see the sarcasm) many people cannot afford a place to live or even keep it up. I guess if a boat is your home, that you are normally in, it makes for a difficult recommendation for authorities to remove it and make you join the many thousands of homeless already in the States. Yes, a lot of those look like crap and I wouldn't want one as my neighbor.

I do not see an issue with removing an abandoned, derelict boat. Then, of course, you come to the expense of doing so. Who will do it, how will you do it? They are certainly not worth a tinker's damn for salvage so no private entity will do it on their nickel. So that makes it a governmental agency and we all know how efficient they are. And that also means the taxpayers get to foot the bill for it.

Haul it out to sea, use it for target practice, scuttle it and make a reef out of it? Then you'll have the enviro whackos after your hide.

We don't have much of a problem with derelicts in Maine. I guess it has something to do with the ice and snow.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 06:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpddj View Post
We don't have much of a problem with derelicts in Maine. I guess it has something to do with the ice and snow.
Here in New England our we don't have a problem with old derelicts because they're all at the local boatyards being offered for sale at their original MSRP price.
Old 15-03-2015, 08:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
they're all at the local boatyards being offered for sale at their original MSRP price.
So are you telling me when spring comes and I put the sailboat 1989 Ericson 28' (not a derelict ) for sale that I should ask MSRP of $50,694 rather than the $18,000 I was going to ask? That would work for me, but I suspect there won't be a path beaten to my front door.
Old 15-03-2015, 08:13   #24

Quote:
So are you telling me when spring comes and I put the sailboat 1989 Ericson 28' (not a derelict ) for sale that I should ask MSRP of $50,694 rather than the $18,000 I was going to ask? That would work for me, but I suspect there won't be a path beaten to my front door.
dpddj, chill. I was being facetious.

For me 1989 is far from even close to derelict. I was talking more about 60s-70s old beat up ones with A4 (no disrespect to the A4 owners but come on) and in need of complete TLC (or even beyond it) being for sale for 10X their market value for years and years by their clueless owners.

I often shoot the breeze with our boat yard owner and he constantly harps on the owners whose boats are there for sale for years and the owners can only pay the yard bill upon sale. Even though part of the yard is a boat junk yard the yard owner does not see even a junk value in these "for sale" boats enough to justify reposessing them for nonpayment. But being a decent guy he feels bad for these people but on the other hand I think lately he's getting a short fuse toward them.
Old 15-03-2015, 08:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
dpddj, chill. I was being facetious.
Yes, I know. Sorry you missed my tongue in cheek.

I know a guy who several years ago bought a yard in the Detoilet area. There were numerous boats way behind in yard bills. He made one attempt to contact them. Those he did not hear from were placed into a huge ditch he dug, run over with a D9, and buried. What boat? Never saw it?
Old 15-03-2015, 08:27   #26

Quote:
Yes, I know. Sorry you missed my tongue in cheek.

I know a guy who several years ago bought a yard in the Detoilet area. There were numerous boats way behind in yard bills. He made one attempt to contact them. Those he did not hear from were placed into a huge ditch he dug, run over with a D9, and buried. What boat? Never saw it?
Actually the owner of our yard makes a decent amount parting out these junk boats. And then pays few hundred $$ to have them taken to a cheaper dump 60 miles away which accepts bare hulls for $50-100. He did a ton of insurance business picking up total losses after Sandy. His drivers were making a killing shuttle between Tri-state and MA.
Old 15-03-2015, 08:31   #27

If we had MORE government regulations, taxes, fees, and licenses, and several other ways to control human behavior things would be much better right? NOT! Besides, look at all the BILLIONS of dollars that your and my tax dollars go to foreign countries, most of which hate the U.S.. Hey can you imagine what the billions of our tax dolars could do for youth programs showing kids how to fix up, and learn to sail these boats instead?. That would seem better than night basketball..... Just a thought. The best part would be that the dollars would be kept in the U.S. economy and promote better conservation of our waterways. The trick for this to work though, as we all know, is that it must be private run not a bureaucracy that wil waste the money and bog it down with red tape. Fund the volenteers and Marina owners with the $billions$ that are going to the middleEast and improve America instead.
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:34   #28

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:

I do not see an issue with removing an abandoned, derelict boat. Then, of course, you come to the expense of doing so. Who will do it, how will you do it? They are certainly not worth a tinker's damn for salvage so no private entity will do it on their nickel. So that makes it a governmental agency and we all know how efficient they are. And that also means the taxpayers get to foot the bill for it.

Florida collects a huge amount of money in tourist taxes. A portion of that money could be used to remove "derelict" or abandoned boats. I don't have a problem with removing them but I do have a problem with "cleaning up" the Keys. People want to go there because it's funky. If you don't like funky there are plenty of other places to cruise to.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:42   #29

Boat: Island Packet 32

Makes me sad to see neglected boats that deserve a little more TLC.
jpstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:45   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy davy View Post
If we had MORE government regulations, taxes, fees, and licenses, and several other ways to control human behavior things would be much better right? NOT! Besides, look at all the BILLIONS of dollars that your and my tax dollars go to foreign countries, most of which hate the U.S.. Hey can you imagine what the billions of our tax dolars could do for youth programs showing kids how to fix up, and learn to sail these boats instead?. That would seem better than night basketball..... Just a thought. The best part would be that the dollars would be kept in the U.S. economy and promote better conservation of our waterways. The trick for this to work though, as we all know, is that it must be private run not a bureaucracy that wil waste the money and bog it down with red tape. Fund the volenteers and Marina owners with the $billions$ that are going to the middleEast and improve America instead.
What you are proposing is still a government based solution. And will result in political cronies getting their hands on the program and steering the funds to their own or muscling out the little guy.

IMO the more workable solution would be a huge tax on new boats and a huge tax break on refurbing/selling and using old ones. And old economic maxim states - "We want to tax what we want to have less of and we don't want to tax what we want to have more of". Sure the glossy baot magazines and new boat dealers would hate it but the environment and the next few generations will thank us for that.

Or require that all new construction be made with X% of recyclable old fiberglass. This technology is here already but is being killed by cheap Chinese mat and resin which is heavily subsidized in China by artificially cheap labor and their total disregard for the environment.