Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 19:55   #1

What ASA courses do I need to take

If I'm aspiring to buy a sailboat with the intention of cruising fulltime. What ASA courses would I need to take to do so properly.
Is the bareboat courses enough to be able to cruise full time?
Pyroprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 20:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: What ASA courses do I need to take

I am an ASA Instructor and freely admit the classes are just the start. Take 101 and sail anything you can to reinforce the core concepts. Then take 103, do the same. Then hire and instructor to go sailing with you on your boat. Some can do the 104 course on your boat.

Taking 101/103/104 in one shot and then not sailing is a colossal waste of money. Like taking lessons to drive a car and then not driving one for x months.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 02:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am an ASA Instructor and freely admit the classes are just the start. Take 101 and sail anything you can to reinforce the core concepts. Then take 103, do the same. Then hire and instructor to go sailing with you on your boat. Some can do the 104 course on your boat.

Taking 101/103/104 in one shot and then not sailing is a colossal waste of money. Like taking lessons to drive a car and then not driving one for x months.
Is it reasonable for me to seek out a custom teaching class.
Let's say myself and 1 other would like to do the ASA gauntlet so to speak and do everything back to back. Plus 1 other up to 104-106 or whatever baseboard course is.
Could I save money doing everything up front in "bulk"?
Is it possible to be trained on your own boat?
Is that cheaper?
Id love to get 2 people to do 90% of the ASA courses(catamaran based versions) and 1 up to baseboard charter.
Is this possible under 15-20k for everyone?
What should I expect to pay for these 3 people to take this amount of courses in a short duration?
Pyroprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroprone View Post
Is it reasonable for me to seek out a custom teaching class.
Let's say myself and 1 other would like to do the ASA gauntlet so to speak and do everything back to back. Plus 1 other up to 104-106 or whatever baseboard course is.
Could I save money doing everything up front in "bulk"?
Is it possible to be trained on your own boat?
Is that cheaper?
Id love to get 2 people to do 90% of the ASA courses(catamaran based versions) and 1 up to baseboard charter.
Is this possible under 15-20k for everyone?
What should I expect to pay for these 3 people to take this amount of courses in a short duration?

You will not save money doing them “in bulk”. You only get a poorer experience.

Yes any good instructor has a relationship with a school and will do it on your boat. It will cost more, but it will be very relevant to your boat. For example when I teach a rolling hitch in 101, I explain how it can be used to clear an overridden winch. If it was on the owner’s boat we could do it on all 4(or 6) winches.

IMHO take a group 101 and get a taste, then go sailing. Many people look at the classes like Boy Scout merit badges. There one is not omniscient of the subject matter after the class. You can learn more on a 2-week slow-ish delivery on your boat than ASA 104, 105 and 114.

Can you train 4 people for 101 through 114 on your boat for $20k?? Yes. But I would need wear a hood and cutlass to take that much money.

When you are ready PM me and we can discuss training.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa