Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 13:52   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: What Basics Are Needed for a Bluewater Boat ?

I see that you already have the most essential need for "blue water" cruising,- a captain who is willing to seek and measure advice from others.
Old 08-08-2011, 14:46   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Not a wish list, but rather the list of what I've added so far to get my boat where it wants to be. Boat was a stock production boat purchased new. The goal, ultimately, is to be far beyond "basic."

*emergency rudder
*dual Racor filter system
*two backup handheld GPS units
*backup handheld VHF for the ditch bag
*satphone
*drogue
*all-chain rode on primary anchor
*two backup anchors with rodes
*EPIRB
*solar panels + wind generator
*radar (and yes, it is essential)
*autopilot
*networked chart plotters at nav station and helm
*wind/depth/knotlog instruments
*satellite radio (with killer stereo system)
*electric windlass
*spinnaker primaries (boat came stock with four winches, but now has six)
*storm jib
*davits capable of transporting the 10' RIB with 15hp outboard
*dodger, bimini + transition (and I consider shade an essential)
Old 08-08-2011, 15:18   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
First, find your boat...

My opinion is that there are very few small "bluewater" boats.

A mass produced fibreglass boat the size of a trailer sailer is unlikely to make it.

Its a function of size. Big boats don't have to be proportionately as strong as small boats as the forces are distributed over a larger "point". If I remember my naval architecture correctly stability is proportion to the 4th power of the beam. Its what makes cats, well, cats.

So a 36' boat built to the same standards as a 26' boat is going to more "bluewater" suitable. About 4 times more suitable to be approximate. Wind force is proportional to the square of the speed so...

So, if you want a "bluewater" boat then sell the 26', forget the toys, and get the best 36+'er you can find.

Otherwise stick to limited coastal cruising, short hops and sheltered water.

VHF, compass, chart and a couple of packed lunches could do the trick.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:24   #19

Boat: csy 37

minimum on nav gear would be paper charts, cruising guides, couple of handheld gps's, compass, handbearing compass, binoculars.

one suit of sails might be enough if you bring along s sail repair kit and some dacron tape.

one diesel engine with spares.

i prefer a hard dinghy but on a small boat a rollup inflatable would be more practical. if you have some rail space a small outboard might be kept there.

i've found solar suits my style better than windgen but you need a place to mount the panel and that can be a problem on a smaller cruiser.

unless you're at sea for weeks there's no need to overstock on provisions. i do like to carry all the water i can - dont forget a jerry jug for refilling the tanks.

a vhf is NOT emergency gear - put the antenna on the masthead. if you're going beyond the U.S. coast and the Abacos get an epirb.

get the biggest anchor you can carry - after many years of anchoring with many different anchors, i've come to love my latest - a manson supreme. i prefer all chain, as do most cruisers. for the east coast and bahamas you only need 100 feet.

a built in pump out head like my raritan phII is best but i freely admit that when i had smaller boats i used a five gallon bucket and a toilet seat with pegs on the bottom to hold it in place.

we use the local phone system when we're not in the U.S. but if we can get internet access then we use Skype.

forget radar if you're in the bahamas or the southeast U.S. - it's a waste of money and space on a small boat. spend it on golf cart batteries instead.

good luck!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:43   #20

Boat: Sceptre 41

Advice similar to this was given to me, "Buy the boat. Use it for 6 months. Then figure out what you "need" to have on the boat." If I had followed this advice I would have saved myself a few boat bucks. Take the time to get everything on the boat working and then start adding things that suit you lifestyle.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 15:43   #21

Boat: Tartan 30
Don't forget the Epoxy putty!

Currently working towards fitting my boat for bluewater... Things I'm planning on getting (not necessarily essential) are:

Auto pilot, and if monies provide, also a windvane (can use sheet to tiller of no windvane).

Radar, I'd love to have it, but I'd go without it If need-be. Radar reflector is essential.

Navigation, minimum two handheld mapping gps's, or better is a plotter with handheld for backup. I already have laptop navigation but prefer the purpose built (and weatherproof) units... A chart or two of wherever your going as double backup... (no need for a sextant, just keep heading west...)

Adding more water storage beyond my existing 40 gallan tank and Jerry jugs, can't ever have too much water... Rain catchment as well.

Most major crossings (and there's only like, 3 of them) are going to be inthe 30 day range (for smaller boats) so it's not too difficult to provision, plan on buying groceries as needed instead of stockpiling.

I have plenty of sails, but I'm not sure that 'backup sails' are necessary, just learn to hand sew...

Solar power. Currently using minimal power and getting by just fine with a 40 watt panel and two batteries. I'd consider this minimum, but I'll be adding a start battery, upgrading the two current batteries, and mounting around 200watts of panels. That should be Enough even with autopilot and radar... If not, a decent alternator will make up the difference.

Wetsuit and snorkelling gear, fishing gear...

Rollup dingy with rigid inflatable floor and inflatable keel, plus motor (can also push your boat if it's under 30 foot or so) mounted on stern (not rail) thisgivea you that backup motor, and regular usage dinghy motor at same time (again, only for smaller boats).

Spare rigging parts, turnbuckle or two and wire clamps, plenty of extra line.

At least 3 anchors, plenty of chain (whatever fits) and atleast one spare rode.

What else is there? Lots of sunscreen and a cooler for the beer
Old 08-08-2011, 15:48   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: First, find your boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
So, if you want a "bluewater" boat then sell the 26', forget the toys, and get the best 36+'er you can find.
Sage advice.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:46   #23

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
I feel our 26 foot boat is capable of what I wish to accomplish and it has been surveyed by two different individuals and commented upon by many. It is a hand laid fibre glass boat not a mass production boat.
Bigger is not always better and the more boat I have the more cost it is to upkeep.

That being said we have nearly everything we need and are working on solar and wind power now and eventually a radar. I have redundancy upon redundancy aboard in terms of most things.
We live aboard full time and are very comfortable but I always want to learn as much as I can and value everyone's advice.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 15:10   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: First, find your boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post

Otherwise stick to limited coastal cruising, short hops and sheltered water.

VHF, compass, chart and a couple of packed lunches could do the trick.
And yet that doyen of sydney built boats - the Top Hat 25 has a number of of circumnavigations to its credit. The Hiscocks went round and round on a 25 footer and the list goes on.

Now a 36 footer is gunna be a lot more comfortable, but a good 25 footer clearly will do the job. Jessica Watson did it alone and non stop on a 33 foot boat.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 15:51   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

GPS EPIRB, life raft, compass food and sails

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 15:53   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Its my opinion...

Its my opinion.

I know it can be done in smaller boats.

30 years ago Top Hats were new and they were all that was available to those of modest means.

In most cases the current difference in cost between a seaworthy 25 and an equally seaworthy 34 is small, and the difference in comfort is huge.

For Australia I'd be suggesting looking at 32'-34' as a minimum now, in the USA there are way more 36' boats available at good prices.

I'm reminded of the joke about someone who was banging their head against a brick wall being asked why they did it. The reply: "It feels so good when I stop."
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 16:01   #27

Yea but my original post was to invite comments about supplies needed to rig a boat assuming you already have a sea worthy craft. The basic supplies should be similar regardless of size of the boat... Granted bigger boats have more storage and are more comfortable, I feel there are lots of threads debating which boats are sea worthy but few that list the basics considered essential by those who are experienced.
I find it interesting and educational to see what others consider essential as I am sure other readers do as well....
The best way to learn is by doing but it doesn't hurt to observe and ask questions along the way....
Old 09-08-2011, 16:30   #28

Boat: PETERSON 44
Seems like you know the answer. Your a small boat so limited by that. I'd put money in the basics first hoses, hose clamps rigging. Toys depth sounder if electronic charting get ais before radar. Radar would be way down my list. Good clothing choices in layers foulies, dodger and Bimini. When I refit my boat if a tool came onboard it stayed on board. Sup rising how few are really here. One really heavy bag and then an assorted individual bags of wrenches and drill bits. Proper spares. It's so nice to have these when needed.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 16:47   #29

We have the following so far:
Rigging checked and evaluated as sound and tuned
Mainsail in good condition, genoa, working jib and storm jib all in good condition
Five anchors of three types with extra chain and rode
Extra lines, sheets and halyards
GPS, Inav on both I phones, paper charts, compass, depth sounder, knot meter
Emergency supplies, flashlights, tools, batteries etc
VHF radio
In board engine in good repair, back up four horse outboard mounted on rear of boat
Inflatable dingy with motor
Extra fuel containers in addition to 20 gallon tank
40 gallon water tank with extra water containers
Life slings, bosuns chair, bag of extra shackles and other goodies
Lots of tools...too numerous to list
Human clothing and supplies
Shore power and dual batteries
Refrigerator that runs on DC or AC
Icebox
New head with dockside pumpout or the ability to dump
Scuba equipment and wetsuit and snorkel mask fins etc
Bilge pump and back up bilge pump
Cruising parrots and cat

We are in the process of installing solar power and more batteries and a custom Bimini and dodger are on order

Not planning on going anywhere for a while but want to properly outfitted and safely outfitted
Old 09-08-2011, 17:00   #30

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

wrote an article for a sailing mag a few years ago about a guy we happened to run across while stopped in Coos Bay..
We were setting on the docks between our boats, mine on one dock and his on another, both facing nose to nose..
We had just installed all new electronics, an SSB with a pactor ll and a weather fax, the chartplotter/radar was an overlay so we could see the radar over the charts, the auto helm was in sinc with all electronics so it was a push button, follow the cursor, and steering according to wind shifts, and it did it all by itself..
and the guy I was talking to, well, he had engin problems a few years earlier, and at the cost of a rebuild, he figured he could cruse for a couple more years.. so the motor came out and a pulg went into the hole..
he propelled the boat in marina areas with a sculling oar.. had been cruising for 15 years, with his wife, with NO batteries, no electrical,
just a few oil lamps and simple tools..
and as we sat there on the docks, drinking coffee, well, his was black coffee, mine was a capachino with a little foam..
we shared stories of where we had been and who was the best at telling lies..
The story is true, and the guy with little is probably still out crusing..and probably injoying it just as much as anyone else..
you dont need all the fancy gear to go cruising..............................
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water