Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2012, 21:42   #16

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: What Denomination $$ to Carry

Credit and ATM cards are the way to go. Due to the rampant fraud going on in the U.S., it is best to have several cards from several different banks, and make sure you have a PIN number for at least one of your credit cards in case your ATM card doesn't work one day.

I don't know if it has happened yet, but I do believe the day is coming when Euros will be more widely accepted than USD... I would imagine this is already true on the other half of the world.

It seems like you should carry a range of cash denominations to cover different scenarios. This issue of having "new" cash is something I've never heard before, but it clearly is common.

How quickly will you be moving between countries? It seems like a cruiser would be best served to obtain local currency as quickly as possible, and depend on that. I think the days are gone when US dollars are gladly accepted everywhere. In my recent travels anywhere, local currency is always greatly preferred -- I can't remember the last time USD was the currency of choice.

I never worry about carrying currency out of a country. I always feel like I'll be back there sooner or later and just take it with me. Usually, I tap out just before I leave anyway, and end up using my credit card through the last day or so. If you're not going far (and face it, how far can you go in a sailboat?), it's likely the next place you stop will accept the neighboring currency too.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 21:48   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g

Maybe a pan warmed on the stove to press the money?
Sautéed with shallots and garlic,with a red wine reduction is nice...

dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 21:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochueb

Sautéed with shallots and garlic,with a red wine reduction is nice...

Forget the $. Being on the pasta.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 22:18   #19

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Should the fiat currency bubble busts, the government issued paper money will have only one good use, but it may clog up your head.

Small pieces of silver will always be universally accepted. In times of madness, no one makes change. In the depression, a dime would buy a loaf of bread, but so would a silver dollar.

It makes good planning to have rolls of silver dimes stashed away to use as cash in uncertain times.

I would rather have a roll of 90% silver than a US 100 dollar bill. Silver does not need an exchange rate.

For the guy with a box full of twentys, any coin shop will exchange them for silver coins, if you hurry.
Old 15-11-2012, 04:53   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: What Denomination $$ to Carry

Carrying a lot of cash is foolhardy, in my opinion, and not necessary. As ArtM suggests, using a local ATM is the most convenient way to get local currency. You get the best exchange rate that way. Our ATM provider doesn't charge us a transaction fee, and we've never been charged a fee by the local bank, either. Also, get a credit card with no foreign currency exchange fee, which can be 3% or so--Capital One and Bank of America offer them.