Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 04:35   #46

Re: What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I was more shocked yesterday by the charter boats heading out here in Marsh Harbor. Can't they see the weather and couldn't the Moorings people have suggested maybe they should stay?
Those charter sailors are just made of tougher stuff
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:47   #47

So you sit back , look around, and judge what everyone should be doing ? I've got a 30 ft boat with 10 ft ,18 hp dingy, and not practicle to put it on deck just for a bit of wind . The 30 kt + wind is not what caused the dingy to be lost. I think your judgement is faulty.
ramminjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:49   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Those charter sailors are just made of tougher stuff
They are also braver than I am as I wouldn't take my boat into some of the "anchorages" they go.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:58   #49

I'm anchored in the same wind and have no worries about losing my dingy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1488718587718.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	142496  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:06   #50

Thats 3/4 " line
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1488719125135.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	142497  
Old 05-03-2017, 06:08   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
With my new toy and a cutoff wheel, I spit on your security chain. It takes me less than 10 seconds to free your dinghy.

Makita XAG03 LXT Li-Ion 18 volt Brushless 4 1/2 cordless angle grinder New | eBay
So now we know who steals dinghy's to fund his lifestyle.. but as I said.. can't be done without some noise and that's when you get a kicking..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
So several days of +30 knot wind have been forecast for a week. It was fun to watch everyone come into the anchorage yesterday hurriedly and watch their anchoring style.

Obviously everyone knew it was going to be windy.

As the sun starts to set and the wind starts to build I'm looking around and notice all these boats still have their dinks in the water tied off at the stern. I'm thinking wtf?

Sure enough this morning some Einstein on a power boat comes on the radio declaring "Pan Pan my dink is missing the line got frayed somehow"

Really? What did you think was going to happen? Nice dink too, Aluminum AVB with a 15 horse on it. It's out to sea now. Idiot.
A great way to subtract karma points from your page in Neptune's ledger, is to refer to other sailors like this - "idiot" and "Einstein". There but for the Grace of God. . .

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:47   #53

Boat: Pearson 422

What are the odds? Three of us in the same anchorage. We're tucked up on the NE side. Feel bad for the guy who lost the dink. Looking at the wind, next stop is prob Cuba
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:56   #54

Boat: Island Packet 32

The pics are the same as my procedure, except I have two lines led to two lateral eyes on the front sides of the dink and a longer safety to the center tow eye. Never ever a problem, and I also agree with negative karma points for harsh personal critics of other's techniques. Back when I was an operations chief in a fire department and people would try to get me to bash fire ground decisions made by my colleagues, my normal response would be " A guy who lives in a glass house does not carry rocks in his pocket."
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:59   #55

People labeling others on this forum as judgmental is as laughable as the self-righteous indignation that comes with it. I'd rather be thought of as being judgmental than to be known as a hypocrite.

Personally, I am of the opinion that losing a dinghy to chafe and then calling a Pan Pan to report it are examples of poor seamanship and if me dissing someone for it makes me judgmental than I can live with that.

If some people want to defend these actions by attacking me than I can live with that too because frankly I don't care what they think. Fact of the matter stands he lost his dink to chafe and called a Pan Pan to report it so defend that behavior all you want.

I won't be losing me dinghy in a blow at anchor anytime soon nor will I be wrapping my painter around my propeller if I have to make a hasty exit in the middle of the night and the grace of some god won't have anything to do with it.

It will be because the small effort required to use a halyard to hoist my modest sized nesting dinghy on the foredeck is worth it to me. YMMV
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:31   #56

Boat: Formosa 41

I spend all my time thinking about how I could be screwing up and trying not to screw up.

And I still screw up.

I lost a dinghy once. Fortunately I found it. It didn't chafe through, both lines on the bridle broke. (See the Achilles questionable painter thread.)

From that I learned to have a very strong painter and/or get the dinghy out of the water in a blow.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:33   #57

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
With my new toy and a cutoff wheel, I spit on your security chain. It takes me less than 10 seconds to free your dinghy.

Makita XAG03 LXT Li-Ion 18 volt Brushless 4 1/2 cordless angle grinder New | eBay
With the noise a grinder makes, and being a light sleeper, it would take me 6 seconds to be in my cockpit, grab my fish beater, and beat your *ss! LOL.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:45   #58

Boat: Island Packet 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
What are the odds? Three of us in the same anchorage. We're tucked up on the NE side. Feel bad for the guy who lost the dink. Looking at the wind, next stop is prob Cuba
Yes we hated hearing of thier problems as well. We met them at Lorraines the night they lost the dinghy, very nice people. Sounds like they are getting a new one in Georgetown.

Hopefully we can meet you guys once it gets calm enough to get the boat! We are headed north from here. Our daughter and family are going to be in Hope Town on the 17th. So as soon as we see a window I think we will go to Ships Cay and take ship channel and Fleming Cut north.
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:49   #59

Read once about training for astronauts at NASA. They try to get people to think 'what could kill me next?" and then go eliminate or fix that thing.

We've tried to adopt a slightly toned down version of the same thought process on the boat: "what could go wrong next?" and then fix it. So we have a bridle rather than a single snubber, too much chain thats a size too big, hoist the dink every night, carry too many spares, anchor way before sunset, etc. but it works well for us.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Lyon View Post
Yes we hated hearing of thier problems as well. We met them at Lorraines the night they lost the dinghy, very nice people. Sounds like they are getting a new one in Georgetown.

Hopefully we can meet you guys once it gets calm enough to get the boat! We are headed north from here. Our daughter and family are going to be in Hope Town on the 17th. So as soon as we see a window I think we will go to Ships Cay and take ship channel and Fleming Cut north.
We're still heading south, although the fronts may have other ideas. Certainly not going anywhere for a at least a couple more days.

Good luck getting in to Hopetown. It gets crowded this time of year. Hope you have a great visit with the fam!