Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 13:15   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I didn't quote you specifically because, other than your critique of my critique (in which you yourself were judgmental), you weren't the only person to judge me.

I did specifically reference your proselytizing because it's inappropriate for you as a moderator to assume anyone is a believer in your god and not Allah or instead a practitioner of Buddhism or perhaps someone who thinks faith is for the weak minded and fearful.

If you agree that it is bad practice to rely on a single painter than why not just say so instead of taking it upon yourself to castigate me unless of course you have something against me personally? No worries, I know you don't like me. I'm okay with that.

Regardless, what I find laughable about people judging other people as being judgmental, besides being patently hypocritical, is that it is very clear that at least one person has judged me as judgmental because I had expressed an opinion that conflicted with their own.

Really? Is that how it works? Someone doesn't agree with someone else's opinion so that makes them judgmental? What a joke.

This is an Internet forum where opinionated people get together to share opinions. You don't like my gruff demeanor or harsh tone, that's fine. You label me as judgmental because you don't agree with my opinion? Best check yourself.
I never used the word "judgmental". Actually being judgmental about matters of seamanship is a good thing, in my opinion -- critical thinking about it; making judgements. Seamanlike -- unseamanlike. Leaving the dinghy in the water overnight in stormy weather, tied by a single painter -- unseamanlike for sure. I agree.

I didn't disagree with this opinion. I was merely commenting on the unseamanlike attitude expressed by the tone of your post. That's something different from "gruff demeanor" or "harsh tone". It expresses a certain attitude, which is unseamanlike, in my opinion. Good seamanship applies to attitudes, as well as to practices -- maybe even more so.

If you lost your dinghy because you only used a single painter, I would not call you an idiot. Although, yes, I would consider it a mistake (by the same theory, that you would never tie up the mother ship with a single line). There are literally millions of mistakes on this level which can be made, by any one of us, with any level of skill. Recognizing this is so essential to good seamanship, is so much at the core of good seamanship, that most sailors with serious experience with the sea, recoil at the attitudes shown in the original post.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 14:58   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you lost your dinghy because you only used a single painter, I would not call you an idiot. Although, yes, I would consider it a mistake (by the same theory, that you would never tie up the mother ship with a single line).
You always use two anchors and rodes?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 15:22   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You always use two anchors and rodes?
Definitely not. Too much trouble and risk of tangles.

But in my opinion, if you leave a dink unattended, it should have two lines on it. Almost no trouble, and certainly no risks.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 06-03-2017, 15:38   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Isn't there something to be said for the statistical incidence of success?

ONE time I stepped from my dinghy to my anchored boat in Sunset Cove off Key Largo with a hot pizza that had been delivered to a shore address. At this ONE occasion out of many hundreds of returns to my boat over a period of 45 years of living aboard and cruising I failed to properly secure my dinghy.

I had a knock on my hull later from a friend who picked up my dinghy downwind. ....idiocy? Ok, I'll take that, but it's ONE stupid idiotic mistake out of many hundreds of successes.

I'll give anybody "ONE" without a great amount of judgement.
Old 06-03-2017, 15:57   #80

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

ONE time I stepped from my dinghy to my anchored boat in Sunset Cove off Key Largo with a hot pizza that had been delivered to a shore address. At this ONE occasion out of many hundreds of returns to my boat over a period of 45 years of living aboard and cruising I failed to properly secure my dinghy.

I had a knock on my hull later from a friend who picked up my dinghy downwind. ....idiocy? Ok, I'll take that, but it's ONE stupid idiotic mistake out of many hundreds of successes.

This is kinda the point I was trying to make earlier, Hudson. A single painter, of adequate size and made fast without chafe points is unlikely to fail. If it is made from floating line, and/or is also too short to reach the prop, it is not going to foul the prop. I do not see this practice as unseamanlike.

I have used this technique for a long time. The only dinghy loss experienced was due to a thief cutting the painter. He could have as easily cut two painters, but likely not a chain. In some areas we now chain the dinghy at night. If we were in an area with rampant dinghy theft issues, I'd hoist it at night, high enough against the lifelines that it would be very difficult to address for a thief.

Also had it go walkabout once 25 years ago when a faulty snap hook failed... visiting on another boat which had no convenient cleat for attachment. We don't rely upon such any more!

So, I'd save the seamanship comments for folks who fail to do a good job of securing the dinghy, not based solely upon the number of lines used.

Jim
Old 06-03-2017, 16:16   #81

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

That was not stupid, idiocy, or neglect. Keeping the pizza a hot as possible is important* and overlooking something that might interfere with that is accepted. Any, in the end it all apparently turned out well.

*Except the next morning, when it has been on the table overnight, and is almost as good cold.
Old 06-03-2017, 16:48   #82

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I'm reading all this and thinking ... What do I do?

I use a single floating painter for towing, tied to a bridle. On the hook or mooring I cleat off both sides of the longish floating bridle. The bridle cuts down on the swinging.

I have another floating painter tied in and sitting in bottom of the dink so I can grab it with a boat hook when the tow line lets go. When I'm feeling paranoid I cleat that too.

Moonbeam has stern chocks set up for towing. That helps cut down on chafe.
If light wind and current are running opposite and the dink is bumping the transom I pull it up hard, bow out of the water.

If it is going to be really crappy I hoist onto the foredeck, under way or not. I have never dared tow with an engine on.

The Dyer Midget sailing dink sits in chocks on the aft deck.

With a ketch the mizzen sheet or halyard make a fantastic hoist.

That's my practice for what it's worth.

Over the years I have had broken painters, untied painters, painters on the prop of a launch coming along side, dinks surfing down following seas and repeatedly ramming the transom, the dink streaming aft in mid-air doing barrel rolls in squalls.....

Pretty much my own fault.

All an adventure though.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 19:18   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I never used the word "judgmental". Actually being judgmental about matters of seamanship is a good thing, in my opinion -- critical thinking about it; making judgements. Seamanlike -- unseamanlike. Leaving the dinghy in the water overnight in stormy weather, tied by a single painter -- unseamanlike for sure. I agree.

I didn't disagree with this opinion. I was merely commenting on the unseamanlike attitude expressed by the tone of your post. That's something different from "gruff demeanor" or "harsh tone". It expresses a certain attitude, which is unseamanlike, in my opinion. Good seamanship applies to attitudes, as well as to practices -- maybe even more so.

If you lost your dinghy because you only used a single painter, I would not call you an idiot. Although, yes, I would consider it a mistake (by the same theory, that you would never tie up the mother ship with a single line). There are literally millions of mistakes on this level which can be made, by any one of us, with any level of skill. Recognizing this is so essential to good seamanship, is so much at the core of good seamanship, that most sailors with serious experience with the sea, recoil at the attitudes shown in the original post.
I never said you said the word judgmental.

I also NEVER said I was infallible and I certainly have NEVER said I am incapable of making a mistake.

To the contrary, I can quote myself here on this forum where I have been the first to acknowledge my errors and admit my mistakes.

Despite this, you chose to slander me by projecting these untruths onto me and my original post and then use them to justify your opinion of me as unseamanlike.

Whatever your motive, your moralizing is repugnant and demeans you. I doubt your god would approve.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:47   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I never said you said the word judgmental.

I also NEVER said I was infallible and I certainly have NEVER said I am incapable of making a mistake.

To the contrary, I can quote myself here on this forum where I have been the first to acknowledge my errors and admit my mistakes.

Despite this, you chose to slander me by projecting these untruths onto me and my original post and then use them to justify your opinion of me as unseamanlike.

Whatever your motive, your moralizing is repugnant and demeans you. I doubt your god would approve.
"Slander" is a strong word. I said nothing directed at you personally -- I don't know you from Adam. I merely stated my opinion that the attitude which leads some sailors to deride the mistakes of others, is unseamanlike. I'm talking about the attitude, not the person, and there's nothing "moral" in it -- it's a question of seamanship.

No more, no less, and I stand by it.
Old 15-03-2017, 05:35   #85

I won't judge. On our last cruise we were barely out of the harbor when my wife said, " Uh, where is the dinghy?"

Had to go back and retrieve it from where it was floating in front of the whole local yacht club.

But, we managed to go another 2500 miles and not lose it again a single time! Good to screw up early.
Old 16-03-2017, 06:07   #86

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Dinghy painter thread quickly dissolves into arguments regarding slander. That was expected.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 06:36   #87

Has anyone on CF heard ever of "take it to PM"......?
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 11:01   #88

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Well, the thread IS titled,

What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 11:21   #89
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

crap. just send someone to ireland to fetch the dink and continue on.
life happens.
never gamble more than you can afford to lose.
oops.
we had hellacious winds in moorings in san diego and always were missing items--boats, dinghies--i found many fenders, jerry jugs.. things passing by --yaaay seems more bux than brains secures fenders in such manner as to assure my acquisition. love that. we have big winds seasonally here in tropical sw coast of mexico. be ready for em.
out and about? wind?? hunker down and be secure. let out more chain and ride it out. make sure dink aint goin anywhere. toss a bucket over transom to minimize bounciness and chafe....guess what--chafe comes from bouncing...hahahahaha
cook food and enjoy the breezes you donot feel like sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 11:23   #90

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
. . . .
It will be because the small effort required to use a halyard to hoist my modest sized nesting dinghy on the foredeck is worth it to me. YMMV

What kind of nesting dinghy do you have? I'm looking to build one.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote