Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2020, 21:45   #46

Re: What do you call the..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana View Post
If it's up in the air, has two legs that come down to the deck, one on starboard and one on port, and the boom comes down on top of it, it's called a boom gallows.

If it's got a single post and a padded half-moon "seat" on top, it's a boom crutch.

If the boom stops short of it and it has a radar on it, it's a radar arch.

If it's got canvas on it, with windows and such, it's called a dodger.

If it's made out of stainless steel at knee-to-thigh level, it's called the stern pulpit.

If it's on a real ship, with square sails and such, made of wood or steel, and about waist level, it's called the taffrail.

With Warm Aloha, Tim

Wow! I don't know how you didn't turn that first part into some naughty reference or dirty joke! Congratulations for being responsible. Taffrail, I like it! Tim, I'm assuming your last name is Britannica? ���� Thank you for your input!
I was watching some videos that the guy who started Sailing Anarchy, Scott Tempesta, posted to YouTube. He does walkthroughs on racing sailboats of many racing categories and vintages. He is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to rigging and especially why boats are shaped the way they are, usually for getting around rules that certain classes or sanctioning bodies (IOR?) had in place at the time the specific boat was built. It's really fascinating to see, for example when you look at a boat from the front, and as the boat comes out of the water the hull gets wider and wider and then comes back in to the rail. Versus a boat that as the hull comes out of the water it basically goes straight up to the rail. That first one was kind of of cheat for a specific rule in place at the time. Regardless if I got much of what I just wrote correct or not because it seems people love picking my post apart and telling me how stupid I am, so regardless of whether I got it exactly correct or not, the guy who started Sailing Anarchy through these videos is basically teaching the Next Generation why these little quirks are the way they are. He's teaching boat design history. And I think that is priceless. And that's kind of like what you did by giving us the information you gave us Tim. So... thank you ��
Supercat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:28   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercat568 View Post
The front one is called a pulpit? Some things are named strange names! Like the upper bridge on a guitar is called a nut.
A yacht couch is called a settee. Why not call it a couch?
The best is football. Some Americans created a new game with a new ball. The world already had a game named football, but they took that name anyhow. What's worse, they gave the original game of football a new name, they called it soccer. Socker? Soccer. So they stole the name and gave it a lame name with a weird spelling.
Pulpit, settee, port, starboard, bow, stern...
Right, left, front and back just weren't good enough? Did they come up with those terms to confuse people? Like pig latin but actual new words instead of modified words? Okay..sorry for the rant! And thank you for the assistance!

I have read that the word "soccer" was an English invention. The two types of football in Britain were "Rugby Football" and "Association Football". There was a fashion in English public schools (I.e. Expensive private schools attended by the offspring of the aristocracy and wealthy parents) for giving everything short nicknames ending in "-er". So Rugby football became "Rugger" and Association football became "Soccer" ("Asser" has unfortunate connotations). This word was adopted in the US, perhaps thinking it the correct term, but to distinguish it from their own game.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 18:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
I have read that the word "soccer" was an English invention. The two types of football in Britain were "Rugby Football" and "Association Football". There was a fashion in English public schools (I.e. Expensive private schools attended by the offspring of the aristocracy and wealthy parents) for giving everything short nicknames ending in "-er". So Rugby football became "Rugger" and Association football became "Soccer" ("Asser" has unfortunate connotations). This word was adopted in the US, perhaps thinking it the correct term, but to distinguish it from their own game.
That's a better explanation than what I heard previously, thank you! Thinking about it, inventing the word "soccer" would probably have been a bit much for American football players who had just stolen the word football! Especially for a game that one's foot rarely touches the ball
Old 13-11-2020, 21:01   #49

This boat has some kind of wave deflector rail on both sides about a foot below the rail. Based on the shadow cast at the front edge, it looks very...out there. It looks like it comes off the side out about 2 or 3 inches and skinny!? The following isn't a dissertation from me, this is me opening up a discussion so if I get...no...when I get something wrong, don't kill me, again, just a discussion starter.
Features like bow flare and those wave deflector strips are interesting from an engineering standpoint. Bow flare, wave deflector strips, and drag car exhaust pipes all create a force. In both boat examples the force is upward, but creating upward force isn't their job, their job is to deflect water. Lifting the front of that boat as it passes over a wave is a good affect. But the side strips...a wave will hit those strips and create lift of some amount of force...right? I'd think that's not good! It would add to the boat's heeling motion. And that's why I'm asking Are those side features common in certain areas of the world but not in others? Do you think they're good, bad, doesn't matter?
Btw...on a top fuel dragster, the down force caused by the upward flow of the exhaust gases is about 600lbs. When a car loses its engine and loses that down force, bad things can happen! I'm not a huge fan of drag racing or drivers or actual races, but anything that has 750hp per cylinder, runs on nitro methane, and can do 0 to 100mph in 0.8 seconds is worth looking in to. So I do.
Sorry for the tangent. I just like thinking about things.

So..does anyone know what those strips are called?
Thank you!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201113-225801_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	226926
Old 14-11-2020, 01:27   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

They are called rubbing strakes and are for protecting the topsides when moored alongside rough walls or piles. They have no useful hydrodynamic effects.

Jim
Old 14-11-2020, 01:38   #51

Rubbing stakes...I need to rub inside my head and verify I have no brains left.
Thank you
Maybe of I had seen them in person I would've figured that out?
And for the record, even though there would be some upward force I wasn't thinking they did anything in terms of lift..that boat is way too heavy for that to have any effect, but I did think they were for reducing waves coming onboard. I've never seen rub rails come that far out and that skinny? But I believe you!
Old 15-11-2020, 21:47   #52

If you Google bilge keel a number of different looking features come up, not just the now common sailboat double keel design. Some of them actually are above the waterline, but not as much out as the one in the picture. This is what came to mind when I saw it first..do you think they might be bilge keels?
I really have no clue, just asking. Thank youClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201116-004542_Google.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	227033Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201116-004603_Google.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	227034Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201113-225801_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	227035
Old 16-11-2020, 19:06   #53

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Simply rubbing strakes (not stakes) - designed to protect the hull when lying to a dock with pilings - generally with stainless half-round strip, making fender boards unnecessary. Wish our Antigua 37' FP had had them on our 4 year cruise to the hinterlands...two sets of fender boards instead. A flange-type hull-deck joint can do the same if protected with SS or half-round flex. moulding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1016949-Web.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	227079   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1016946-Web.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	227080  

PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:31   #54

I opened this thread to write the exact same thing! Was watching Captain Q video where he points out the rub strake on a boat he was reviewing. So..you are correct sir! Thank you
Rub strake, who'da thunk!?
Captain Q for those who don't know him, is a Maine based old salty sailor who goes around to boat yards and marinas and makes videos about older and unique boats. His knowledge of boats and random nautical terms is stunning. The combination of those things make his videos delightful and informative to watch. Highly recommended.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201204_082048.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	228109  
Old 05-12-2020, 13:07   #55
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36