Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 11:43   #16

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Unfortunately there are jerks out there that can't handle their boats.
And there are very nice people who can't handle their boats.

I don't think a "deer cam" is going to work in this application. You would do better with a purpose built security camera with recording ability.

Still, I have to wonder if this is worth the cost and trouble. Are people constantly running into your boat and then not taking responsibility? Can you move to a safer slip?

Have you talked to the marina management about this? Have you talked to the person you suspect? Have you inspected his or her boat for damage or evidence? Have you talked to your insurance company?

Stuff happens and sometimes we just have to suck it up and deal with it.
Old 18-11-2016, 17:10   #17

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Question, what is your slip situation, are you on a wide fairway, or a narrow fairway that has slips on both sides. If a narrow fairway with vessels on both sides, could be one of your neighbors lost control a bit while approaching or leaving his dock. How far does your stern extend out from you slip.

If it was just the pulpit, the bow or stern of another vessel while close quarters manuevering could have impacted your vessel. Easy to do with a running tide, strong cross wind, etc.

If you are on a wide navigable channel, then it could be about anything.
Too party boats and too many maitais, and not paying attention, or a sailing vessel tacking up the channel, and misjudging, and not being able to tack away due to poor planning and having another vessel parallel to the docks just a few yards off, and the tacking vessel has no room to come about and impacts your boat.

As far as cameras go, never had to install anything like that.

Might want to follow some of the other practical suggestions already posted here, Harbies, talk to other boat owners, and also maintenance personnel, and dock yards, etc. if there was damage to his boat. Walk the docks, look at the boats, look for damage. Put the word out.

Otherwise, pay the deductable and find a more protected slip where you do not have any part of your boat extending out that can be impacted.

And what are your options if you find the guilty party? What does the law allow you to do ?. Harbor police, complaint report, insurance companies, district attorneys, or fire off a broad side, raid his liquor cabinet, haul off his wenches, and declare victory.

Tuff situation for resolving the problem. Usually, someone in your marina will know what happened. Main thing is to protect yourself in the future.

You may have to be pro active with a deeper slip, .....or weigh the different costs, and the frequency of actual damage occurring.

Lots of varying aspects come into effect. Including the seamanship and knowledge of other boat owners.

Bow anchors that are not in an anchor locker can get tangled up with a stern pulpit of another vessel, and damage or tear a stern pulpit out of its fastenings.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 19:31   #18

Boat: Byliner 3258

I had this problem at a marina that had transient boaters. Always had damage and no one ask for forgiveness I tried bumpers but it didn't help. In despair I made a 2X4 L shaped bracket about 2 ft by 3 ft that I hung off the corner of my swim grid. To reinforce the corner I used the hammer on steel splice plates , OOPs screwed the plates backwards with the splines sticking out. To reinforce the corner even more I screwed in lag bolts and cut the heads off OOPs didn't get them cut flush and not very even, this made the joint very sharp. This bracket was the talk of the Marina, but it was also the end of the damage, It was funny to see how far the other boaters stayed out of the range of this formable weapon.This contraption floated and when using the boat I floated it tied to the dock. To bad there are boaters who have no honour.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 20:21   #19

Could you consider this the proverbial barn after the horse left? If it happens constantly or regularly, different story.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 06:32   #20

Boat: Island Packet 35

There are a number of simple dvr video systems that are also wifi. A 4 camera unit cost us less than 200 and have two cameras ouside, and two inside to watch the bilge and panel. It works through the marina wifi so we can logon and see realtime or approximately 20 days worth of dvr.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 06:42   #21

What is shameful is that the person who caused the damage did not leave a note or admit his error and took off. Same sort of behavior of people dropping rubbish because they think no one is observing.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 07:36   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
I have suspects but no proof, so the $2000 repair is mine.
There are always those that we suspect. But unless you have good evidence, you'll never know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If your pulpit was mangled there ought to be some evidence on the offenders boat. Confront them if you have solid thoughts about it, maybe insinuate there is a witness. See what they say.
I think you mean...lie. There is no better way to build a bad reputation for yourself in the eyes of fellow slip mates than lying. There are endless scenarios that could have happened. A visiting fishing vessel. Someone drunk who went down the wrong finger. A harbor worker. A diver. The possibilities are endless.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 07:37   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Let Karma do its thing and let it go ;-) I trust the universe that it will take care of the offender and it always comes through......eventually.
Best advice yet..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:37   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Best advice yet..
Meh...its a lot more satisfying to help karma along a bit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 20:10   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I bumped a neighbor's boat once... contacted him through the marina and offered to send him pics of the scrape. He said I could buy him a beer next time he was up instead... We've been friends for years now and watch out for each other.

Instead of a camera, I'd suggest making friends with your neighbors and swapping phone numbers.