Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 17:49   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: What do you keep in your bugout bags

As one who has lived (and sailed) in NT, Torres Straits and FNQ, I reckon the most important things to have with you if you are stuck ashore are in order - water, Raid (Rid), PLB and knife.

The rest are nice to have, especially matches.

As the OP knows and Ann has reinforced but for other readers - in these coastal waters, stay out of the water; swimming back to the boat is not an option (except for gamblers...)

@ Ann you forgot the blue ringed octopus, stone fish and sharks but I suppose the sharks are only a minor threat well down the line after the above critters and the tides
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 18:09   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Interesting question. Can imagine some places where it might be valid. Certainly, I have waited on the beach for a squall to pass. The outboard could crap out. Perhaps you capsized in the surf. The boat dragged or the rode failed and it is gone, over the horizon (swim for that). Fog, darkness... stuff happens.

Swim to the boat? That is just hysterical. I'm a strong swimmer and there are many places I would do that. But I can imagine many, many, circumstances where that would be, frankly, stupid. The water might be 40F, the boat might be miles away, and perhaps there are strong currents. Sounds like the stuff of a Darwin Award reality TV show.

The reality, of course, is that there are very few places where it is likely to be anything worse than uncomfortable, and you should be able to see those coming.

Good luck!
Old 25-06-2019, 04:51   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Youmans View Post
DEET and head net!
Actually Ann I was joking about what the OP was calling an emergency Grab bag, not realizing the focus on the Kimberlies

Given that this is an Australian zoned discussion , they seemed to prefer this local product and exercise, practiced by their military.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190625-194605_Google.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	194635

Who knew there actually can be some truth in advertising?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote