Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 09:36   #46

Re: What do you think of this boat for a novice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Now, now, don't tease the OP, he won't know you are kidding. The mega was the worst boat ever made by C&C.
Yeah that's probably true! Might be fun for gunkholing though! IF you could find one if good shape.. a big IF!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 13:06   #47

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

For a rugged, inexpensive, well built production boat, with shallow draft, you can't beat a Tanzer 22! There's an active class association, so lots of support. There were thousands built. And the swing keel model draws only 24"!!!

I owned a fin keel version back when I wore a younger man's shoes. And it was great. 2 quarter berths, vee, and galley. Also, they sail very fast...which is always nice...you can actually get them planing and do ridiculous speeds.

Plus they are very inexpensive.

Here's a few at random:

http://www.ecsail.org/Parmerlee_Tanzer.pdf

1978 Tanzer Swing Keel sailboat for sale in New Jersey

1981 Tanzer 22 sailboat for sale in New York

1981 Tanzer Day Cruiser sailboat for sale in California

Wow...there are just so many of these for sale. Like I said, I owned one, and it is a great boat. Ugly, yes, but a lot of boat for a 22. There are famous for their durability and strength...as well as their speed. Also, for a small boat, it has a huge and comfortable cockpit...which is where you spend all your sailing time anyway.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 10:08   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I know a fellow with a 30' or so catboat with a 630sf sail -- pretty much the same size as my own mainsail on my 30ton schooner. That's a lot of sail on a little boat. And he sails alone all the time on his catboat. A lot more confidence than the average sailor, I guess. At least much more than I have!
Old 23-09-2015, 15:46   #49

Boat: Scout 30

I just found this boat on Craigslist Tampa & thought of this thread. This would be a great boat for the Crystal Beach area.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5163845402.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:37   #50

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Hi Hamburking, You can do anything you put your mind to... After 20 years of building and sailing 16 ft catamarans,, and staying on the beach for another 15 years I decided to get back on the water with a 36 ft Morgan Ketch.

It WAS A GREAT DECISION. and have not regretted it. If I can do it at the age of 70, anyone can do it. If you have any concerns get the original owner or the broker to go out with you a couple of time.

Good Luck and have fun...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 14:58   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I owned a compac 23 and it was a great boat with a shallow draft. I would go with a compac for a mono(2.7 ft draft with the rudder up) or a cheap cat for Crystal river area. Great shallow gunkholing.
BTW- you can make a great self steering for the Compac with about 20 usd. Works as well as a 4000 windvane. (Ive had both)
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
novice