Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2021, 06:42   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
What happens after the circumnavigation ...

I haven't seen this discussed before, so here goes. We completed a very enjoyable circumnavigation a few years ago. We completed the loop in Grenada where we spent the next winter contemplating our next step. Thought about another rtw to go to some new places and spend more time in places we had really enjoyed but we had four very young grandkids and didn't want to be away for so long again. Decided to go back to Lake Ontario with our Bristol 45.5. Discovered it was a great boat for crossing the Indian Ocean, not so great visiting neighbouring yacht clubs on the lake. Not many had large enough docks and winds are pretty flukey.

Returned to the Caribbean for another winter but put the boat up for sale. Ended up selling it to a guy from the marina across the harbour from our yacht club near Toronto - while we were at anchor in Grenada. Part of the deal was to deliver the boat back to Canada which was fine. Now boatless, we bought a very nice Catalina 36 Mark II in prime condition. The boat was actually better than I expected. I though it would be an adequate boat but it was much better than that. COVID happened, of course, and that made last summer difficult. We did a four day trip to Hamilton to visit grandkids and headed off towards Kingston but went back home after one day because the 7 day forecast was lousy - rain every day and not warm. This year we decided to go to the North Channel in Lake Huron. Went through Welland Canal and motored for a day into a SW wind before anchoring behind Long Point for two nights and a day with stronger SW winds and rain. Long range forecast was lousy and we would be in NC now after lousy conditions going up and a lot of rain in the last few weeks (raining as I type).

Went home and realized what the problem is - sailing to so many neat spots has spoiled us and we can't take cruising on the Great Lakes seriously. Whether it was anchoring at Easter Island or making landfall in South Africa and heading off to Kruger to look at lions and elephants we had so many neat experiences. Anyway we decided to take advantage of the hot boat market and sell the Catalina. The sale took less than a week at an excellent price to the first couple who saw the boat.

In the future I could see us chartering in interesting places and I am now in the market for a daysailer to take me until I am at least 80 (73 now). Same hot market means it may be hard to find the right boat, perhaps until the season is over. Looking at something like a J/80 (wish it had a cockpit) on a trailer. Don't want to spend too much on a boat but want sparkling performance in Lake Ontario light airs. If we don't have too much money tied up in a boat we can do summer touristy things in Europe or wherever.

I wonder what responses other folks have had in similar situations. Perhaps they don't post on sailing sites anymore.
Old 17-07-2021, 06:48   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: What happens after the circumnavigation ...

I think it really depends on where you go back to and what kind of places you enjoy. It probably depends a lot on what you did before the big trip as well, as there may be interesting places close by that you just never went to.

Being on Lake Ontario myself, I wonder if you might be better served with a powerboat of some flavor (and charter elsewhere occasionally like you mentioned). Not having the extra height of a mast opens up more places to go in the area, as venturing into the NY and Canadian canals becomes easy, plus a little shallower draft opens up a few more places to go as well. And in an area with wind and weather as inconsistent as ours can be, there's something to be said for being able to travel at pretty much the same speed any time lake conditions are good enough, regardless of whether there's wind or not, rain, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 06:59   #3

Boat: CL14 #1179

Why don't you combine your touristy Europe idea with your love and extensive expertise of sailing? Buy another yacht in the med and sail Europe for a couple of seasons. With so much to do there and explore, easier sailing, so much culture, I'm guessing this would fill the adventure void nicely. Maybe we should be thanking the pirates, it gives us an option once we reach home port.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 07:28   #4

My good friend sold his Stevens 46 and downsized to a smaller sailboat. He races every weekend and cruises around Florida ( where he lives) with occasional trips tp the Bahamas.

They spent 8 years on their RTW.
Old 17-07-2021, 10:16   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I haven't seen this discussed before, so here goes. We completed a very enjoyable circumnavigation a few years ago. We completed the loop in Grenada where we spent the next winter contemplating our next step. Thought about another rtw to go to some new places and spend more time in places we had really enjoyed but we had four very young grandkids and didn't want to be away for so long again. Decided to go back to Lake Ontario with our Bristol 45.5. Discovered it was a great boat for crossing the Indian Ocean, not so great visiting neighbouring yacht clubs on the lake. Not many had large enough docks and winds are pretty flukey.

Returned to the Caribbean for another winter but put the boat up for sale. Ended up selling it to a guy from the marina across the harbour from our yacht club near Toronto - while we were at anchor in Grenada. Part of the deal was to deliver the boat back to Canada which was fine. Now boatless, we bought a very nice Catalina 36 Mark II in prime condition. The boat was actually better than I expected. I though it would be an adequate boat but it was much better than that. COVID happened, of course, and that made last summer difficult. We did a four day trip to Hamilton to visit grandkids and headed off towards Kingston but went back home after one day because the 7 day forecast was lousy - rain every day and not warm. This year we decided to go to the North Channel in Lake Huron. Went through Welland Canal and motored for a day into a SW wind before anchoring behind Long Point for two nights and a day with stronger SW winds and rain. Long range forecast was lousy and we would be in NC now after lousy conditions going up and a lot of rain in the last few weeks (raining as I type).

Went home and realized what the problem is - sailing to so many neat spots has spoiled us and we can't take cruising on the Great Lakes seriously. Whether it was anchoring at Easter Island or making landfall in South Africa and heading off to Kruger to look at lions and elephants we had so many neat experiences. Anyway we decided to take advantage of the hot boat market and sell the Catalina. The sale took less than a week at an excellent price to the first couple who saw the boat.

In the future I could see us chartering in interesting places and I am now in the market for a daysailer to take me until I am at least 80 (73 now). Same hot market means it may be hard to find the right boat, perhaps until the season is over. Looking at something like a J/80 (wish it had a cockpit) on a trailer. Don't want to spend too much on a boat but want sparkling performance in Lake Ontario light airs. If we don't have too much money tied up in a boat we can do summer touristy things in Europe or wherever.

I wonder what responses other folks have had in similar situations. Perhaps they don't post on sailing sites anymore.
While I do not have the RTW experience that many of you have, I have asked myself the same question. I looked a those who have achieved some notoriety from their voyage and the answers are as far spread as could be.

Robin Lee Graham's novel, "The Dove", brought him fame but after the journey he went to Montana to build houses...I listened to his dinner presentation once and was not impressed. While Robin Knox Johnson, his journey a horse of a different color, got him into the record books and business now selling passages on RTW race boats.

To be sure the man returning from such a voyage will not be the same man he once was but how he will change is to be seen...a journey of a different color, I'm sure.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 10:49   #6

Been there
Think small tralerable trimaran 22-25 feet.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 10:57   #7

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post

I'm on my third RTW after a 20 year hiatus. Can't stand the thought of being tied to one place. I've gotten an economical very long range trawler that's easily handled by two and have out-fitted her for the long term. I am just getting started, here in Alaska for now, an area I haven't visited for many years, I plan to do this cruise a bit more slowly than the others and really spend time in place that I like, and places I haven't been. This is my answer to the same question you've posed. I'm in my mid seventies, and plan to cruise for as long as I am physically able. Good luck!
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:33   #8

Boat: CLC Skerry

Ainia, you might want to try what many ex-sailors (of sailboats) do and get a trawler. You are ideally situated to cruise the Trent-Severn waterway to Georgian Bay and the North Channel, not to mention the rest of the Great Lakes, the Erie Canal, St. Lawrence River and Atlantic Canada, and even the Loop if you care to. We did the Trent-Severn in our Grand Banks 36, rain or shine, warm and cozy in the pilothouse on cold, rainy days, up on the flying bridge the rest of the time.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:33   #9

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Have you thought about a canal boat in Europe? Easy cruising and lots of inland places to explore via the canals.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 12:01   #10

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Have you thought about a canal boat in Europe? Easy cruising and lots of inland places to explore via the canals.
Indeed! The French and British canals come to mind but there are some others that shouldn't be overlooked. The Gota Canal in Sweden is said to be quite the experience, and sailing from St. Petersburg to the Black Sea is rarely done but quite the journey. Also, one can go through the canals to Switzerland and then out through the Black Sea.

Other unique options include the Great Loop and the Inland Sea (Seto Inland Sea) in Japan, The latter is often overlooked but a great sail. It is a little longer and a little narrower than Lake Erie but offers quite a bit.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 12:03   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I am not asking for advice, I am basically happy with the situation we are in. I just wanted to highlight the fact that spending many years on a boat seeing much of the world changes your standards. Before we headed off I cruised on Lake Ontario quite happily for decades but it isn't going to happen now. We spend so much time talking about preparing for a circumnavigation and no time talking about the aftermath.
Old 17-07-2021, 14:28   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

People are so different by what they expect and what they search for in cruising. My wife and I have never been to Sub-Saharan Africa, India or Antarctica, but most everywhere else that we imagine traveling; and yet, we made 25 passages from Florida/Bahamas to Maine in our own boat. We know many "been there,- done that" cruisers that cross off places that they've visited and have no desire to return. I can think of numerous wilderness anchorages and recall a specific view of a tree, rookery, or beach that had seen often and would enjoy again. The rise of the windward rail and plunge of the bow driving through a rolling swell knows no location. This would please me anywhere.

People are just different, -some must be using up these experiences and others may not.
Old 17-07-2021, 14:55   #13

Get a J boat - there seems to be one for any size of person or pocket.
I'd guess a dinghy might be a little too adventurous.

Mind you, you're young yet - I'm still single-handling at 84 when covid permits.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 22:01   #14

Boat: KP 46

after two circumnavigations, and a lifetime of working at sea, I am happy to pretty much enjoy time ashore. (although I live on an island..) The truth is, I get tired of customs and immigration, dealing with officials, having to "secure" items I consider necessary for my peace of mind that some countries ban.

I like to be comfortable.

I like my shore things, my plane, tractor, etc.

I have a few boats, a 38 ft trawler in Puget Sound and a 50ft ketch that I rarely use but hope to get one of them up to Alaska next summer (beautiful place).

I take a holiday occasionally and go to Oz, NZ or Europe, but I am happy not to have to cross an ocean with a boat to get there.

I like to have the space to work on things. I like having more than one dog.

But I do not like traffic, crowds etc. The entire county I live in has a total of zero stop lights, the town near me never has more than a few cars moving on Maine st. during the day, little to none at night.

I am happy to have seen a good part of the world, but now I am happy to wake up in the same place I went to sleep.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 22:34   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
3rding this, I know a couple of people who bought a canal boat in Europe after finishing a rtw.

Totally different type of crusing but really fun

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation