Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:49   #1

What Hat to Wear While Sailing ?

Louisiana gets some pretty intense sun most of the year. Unfortunately for me, my pale skin burns very easily. A further problem is that I loathe sunscreen and lotions.

So that pretty much leaves wearing wide brimmed hats and long sleeves in the heat. That started a long search for the perfect sun protection. More specifically though for a long time I had a lot of trouble finding the right hat. Most hats just don't fit me right. I wear close to size 8 which is upper end or beyond all the one size fits all hats.

For my birthday yesterday, my future wife gave me a Tilley hat. I'd been drooling over them for years. I have to say that its the most well fitting hat I've ever put on and I have high hopes for its wide brim and comfortable fit. I like the straps to hold it on in the wind.

Love the label inside the hat. Made with Canadian persnicketyness.

Curious though, what are you experienced sailors out there using for sun protection on top your noggins?
Old 04-11-2011, 07:53   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: What hat to wear while sailing?

A Tilley, and the elephant hasn't eaten it yet but I have a spare (hat not elephant) just in case.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have a Tilley hat as well and find it great quality, well made, good fit and has very functional straps to keep it on your head BUT the model I have the brim is not very stiff and in any kind of breeze at all the brim blows down in my face over my eyes. Very annoying and makes the hat unusable at sea.

Tilley does make a number of models and I guess I need to ask if they make one with a stiff brim. Otherwise I am looking for another option.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i dont have a bimini to hide under, i wear a visor. i have many hats, but this one black visor is perfect for me.
tilley hats are excellent, and there is a kind of cap with some neck protection that is good--keeps sun off neck so burning isnt an issue. i see that worn here in mazatlan by natives who work in sun.
when folks dont have the dough for the cap with neck shield, they add a bandanna to the hat to protect back of neck and a wet bandanna to keep them cool and sweat free.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Not done a lot of sailing in sun over recent times - but I splashed out on 1 of these a while back, based on experiance down in OZ. Various Models and weights (and can be worn in half a dozen styles). The headband is also adjustable.

One of my earlier threads

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...m-oz-6847.html
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26   #6

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: What Hat to Wear While Sailing ?

Tilley! I'm into my 4th or 5th hat. I lost one once, wrote to Tilley in NY for a new replacement. They replaced my lost one for 1/2 my original cost. Great hats, great company!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Tilley! I'm into my 4th or 5th hat. I lost one once, wrote to Tilley in NY for a new replacement. They replaced my lost one for 1/2 my original cost. Great hats, great company!

Foggy

Foggy,

Did you wear the other ones out or lose them too!? :P

Tate
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46   #8

DOJ--that is excellent for the sun we get here--- protection for neck and ears is important.
tilley hats are wonderful but still offer little to no protection of neck and ears in a blow with bright sun.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49   #9

Zee,

The model hat I got has a neck protector that drops out the back brim of the hat and can be secured around the front of the neck protecting the ears and neck fully along with part of your cheeks.

I'll let you know how it works out in real world conditions but I see no reason it wouldn't work just as well on the sun protection. The only problem it might have is what Skipmac mentioned.

Tate
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Legionaire styled cap with long brim.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Tilley < www.tilley.com >has 5 pages of men’s hats, and 6 pages of women’s hats.
http://www.tilley.com/Hats.aspx

ie: The men's LTM6C AIRFLO® Hat with Neck Protector (page 2), and men's TTMC Nylamtium® (legionnaire style) Cap (page 4) have neck protection.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:16   #12

I have the LTM6IS model which is essentially exactly the same as the LTM6C except that its been coated with permethrin.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:28   #13

DO go for the neck protection--good to know tilley has that!!! ones i saw didnt---but the sailors using were more dock riders than sailors....
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33   #14

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Foggy,

Did you wear the other ones out or lose them too!? :P

Tate
I lost a couple and have at least one or two at home. Once I left a hat at the helm with all the canvas open. Got windy that night.......... chalk up another lost hat. I have not worn one out! I stick them in Wifey's dishwasher to wash them so they will retain their shape. Only approached Tilley for one lost (my first ) hat. Hard to blame them for my carelessness.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:56   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

As someone with Celtic genes, I'm in constant search for the perfect sailing hat. Sadly I have yet to find it. I have multiple Tilleys (including my latest which I received for free b/c I managed to wear out an older one). I love them -- all except for their floppy brims. I went through their entire line a while back (at the Tilley store in Toronto) and they all suffer the same problem. In anything over 8 knots the brims are useless.

Years ago I owned an oilskin hat which became quite stiff in the cool breeze, but it was also hot in the sun. All I want is a hat with a large brim that keeps its shape in 20+knts, that is cool enough to wear in the hot sun, but can also handle a bit of rain. Any suggestions? (No baseball caps, please. Not my style).

BTW, for serious rain and weather there's nothing better than a real sou'wester.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing