Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 09:28   #91

Re: What if.....There's a death at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I completely agree.

t's poissible that whichever of us was the survivor might have more of a hassle without getting okays from "the authorities", but in some cases it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. I am not sure of the maritime law on this issue, but there is a long history of precedent.

Also, the actions depend partly on whether you believe it is necessary to preserve the body for religious reasons. Some people might be willing to keep a decaying body on deck as it is spoiling. There are health reasons for disposing of it, and also mental health ones.

I think most of us hope it doesn't happen to us; I think you should talk with your partner about what you want/expect; and I think it's wise to think about it beforehand so as to plan, as a belowdecks death will require moving the corpse, how? before or after rigor mortis? clothe body for burial? Stitch through the nose? Which sail bag to use? Which weight? It will be slightly easier to handle if you've thought about it before, so there will be less pressure/stress on you.

I apologize to all who are offended by such plain talk. i know it can be really scary/threatening for some people to think about, let alone talk about. So, good luck with it, everyone.
Im a nube to the sailing community but my understanding is that from a legal perspective, as captain of the boat, you have a pretty wide area of legal authority, ss the English put it, 'Captain under God', or as the Dutch 'Captain beside God', humble bunch those Dutch.

That includes performing marriages, presumably funerals, and even incarcerating/restraining someone, but in no way would not preclude taking the steps outlined above.

Those rules may have changed in today's pc society. If Im in error, please correct me.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:32   #92
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: What if.....There's a Death at Sea

Which is why the prudent mariner never goes to sea without at least one spare 14 cubic foot freezer, seven feet long and two feet wide.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:36   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Which is why the prudent mariner never goes to sea without at least one spare 14 cubic foot freezer, seven feet long and two feet wide.
And if no one dies, it will keep the cocaine and reefer from spoiling...
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 00:21   #94

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I've said this before, but partners who go tosea should fill out a testament explicitly giving the survivor full onwership of the boat. This should include a paragraph noting that the survivor takes over as Master and owner of the boat with all the responsibilities and priviledges associated therewith, including sailing the boat to any destination, having it transferred to any destination by any means or sale of the boat.

Also a good idea to write that you authorize burial at sea in case of your death.

Authorities can get very prissy if the boat comes in and the Master is dead (even if you have the body). Now you have an inheritance issue and in some places the authorities will seize the boat until the inheritance is settled by the courts in your home country.

This can be avoided by have a noterized document similar to what Ive written above.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote