Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2017, 04:11   #211

Boat: CT 49, 1989
Re: WHAT IS A GOOD GENERATOR ??

V belts- yes anything is possible. For example Not that I know much about Robinson R22 helicopters but they have a bunch of V belts driving the main transmission. I think they are the highest selling 2 seat helicopter in the world. I suspect V belts drive is a ‘cheap’ way of doing this as they are made to a price point. However, not my first choice, but it has obviously proven to be safe and reliable.

Speaking of making things to a price point, those Westinghouse 2000W Inverter generators, for less than $500 are remarkable. I’m sure that they have their limitations. But I am amazed by what can be produced for such a relatively small sum of money. That seems like pretty good value to me. PS Im not affiliated with or endorsing them in any way, just my uninformed opinion.

Portable hmmm. If I was looking for a portable generator I would look at something like the Westinghouse iGen 2000.

Me I’m going for a heavier, bigger and definitely more expensive diesel set up.
While it is similar in being an Inverter DC generator principle. It is different in the following ways-
Diesel instead of Gasoline, fuel efficient, reliable, safe and long life,
• Higher output, something like 10kW as opposed to 2kw, I haven’t mentioned previously but I have a TIG welder that I want to run comfortably on board. Of course along with all the other floating condo mod cons.
Water cooled exhaust so quiet.
So to be fair on the flip side the downsides to what I am working on have what many would consider to be downsides.
• It’s a lot more cash, let’s see- $5,800 2YM15, $450 28V 400A brushless gen, Voltage Regulator $94, DC Generator controller $??? Still looking at options, and Eng to Generator coupling (looking at direct drive) and mounting setups- still looking at options here. I know I can do these reasonably easily and cheaply. It’s just how I can best to do this. So far Total $6,344 and counting. Still got to get the drive coupling and controller. Of course this is not allowing for my time not being worth anything.
• It’s not a commercially available unit, more of a ‘science project’, so definitely for DIYs only. To this end get parts to fix or maintain this, or get others to work on it wont be an easy task in the future.
• Large and heavy so not what most people would consider portable, (maybe if you’re feeling strong) or even easy to tuck in a little nook somewhere on your boat. Also has a water exhaust which needs a water supply hook up, which again doesn’t lend itself to portability.
However to me I still consider this to be worthwhile project and good value. I’m obviously unreasonable or obscure in what I want my boat electrical system to do. I guess if this was an amount of demand for this sort of thing the big commercial guys would be making them to fill a market demand.
There are a few small DC Gen examples out there that I am aware of like, MytGen, ZRD, Polar Power and Nexgen. However for various reasons, cost/ output/ motor etc these are not exactly what I am after. Im not a huge fan of single cylinder diesels and want to keep with Yanmar the same as my main propulsion engine. I also think for the output they are quite expensive.
Carbon fibre mounts, sure. For those DIYers whatever medium you are more comfortable working in. I would suggest it is not my material of choice as is not as commonly available as metal is for me. I can get metal and get it welded almost anywhere at not outrageous costs.
For all the contributors on here, thanks for all the good info and keep up the good work.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 08:15   #212
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post

I know of a V-Belt drive designed for aircraft use that transmitted about 60 hp thru a 10 belt drive. It was highly reliable, the Taiwan airforce used it as a trainer.

Hughes 269A, US Army TH-55 was the trainer helicopter for many years, it had a 190 HP Lycoming engine that drove the main and tail rotor through 8 V drive belts, we were all told that it would operate on four. The rotor drive was engaged and disengaged by a idler pulley that provided tension, exactly like a riding lawnmower.
Reason it could take 190 HP through four belts was it had large diameter pulleys that meant a whole lot of belt contact with the pulleys
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	159180
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 08:28   #213

Boat: Oyster 66

I'd like to see a common rail genset in a very small size. They are available, but only in quite big sizes. Fuel consumption will be 15% less than the best direct injection and it will be a good bit quieter too. I need 6kw continuous, maybe a bit less. Ideally 10kw max power.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 11:19   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
V belts- yes anything is possible. For example Not that I know much about Robinson R22 helicopters but they have a bunch of V belts driving the main transmission. I think they are the highest selling 2 seat helicopter in the world. I suspect V belts drive is a ‘cheap’ way of doing this as they are made to a price point. However, not my first choice, but it has obviously proven to be safe and reliable.

Speaking of making things to a price point, those Westinghouse 2000W Inverter generators, for less than $500 are remarkable. I’m sure that they have their limitations. But I am amazed by what can be produced for such a relatively small sum of money. That seems like pretty good value to me. PS Im not affiliated with or endorsing them in any way, just my uninformed opinion.

Portable hmmm. If I was looking for a portable generator I would look at something like the Westinghouse iGen 2000.
To go in a little deeper here is a source to get a feeling for the serpentine drive. All those pulleys are standard and belong to an engine with an corresponding drive pulley.
https://store.alternatorparts.com/pu...h-pulleys.aspx
Once the the drive pulley has been identified it should be economic to find the parts between new and junk yard.

PORTABLE ??
Yes that is the other route to go
The Westinghouse iGen 2000 is a lot of gen for the money. For the price of a Honda you can buy 2 of them.

So letīs talk in sense of a system on board
Now You add on a UPS style power center like......
Goal Zero Yeti 3000 Lithium Portable Power Station | | Goal Zero
or similar and some solar panels and You are all set with of the shelf items.
Of course this one for 3000$ is not cheap but letīs see what I get for the money.

Lithium Battery Capacity: 3075Wh (10.95V, 280.8Ah)

Power Output:
4x USB
2x AC inverter (output, pure sine wave): 120VAC 60Hz, 12.5A (1500W, 3000W surge)
4x 12V, up to 10A (120W max)

Charging port (input, 8mm): 14-22V, up to 10A (120W max)
Power Pole Charging port (input): 14-22V, up to 30A (360W max)
included is a MPPT solar charge controller

Expansion Module Port: Covered port under the lid. To be used with Goal Zero expansion modules only.
Weight: 68 lbs (31 kg)

All comes in a nice pack and is plug and play.
I am sure many boat owners are dreaming of all those features in a compact easy to handle and portable pack.
You need more run time> add on an expansion module
Something goes wrong> There is a warranty, fix at home or take to a repair shop on the next corner
Together with a Westinghouse iGen 2000 I will be able to cover pretty much all my needs on board.

That is
3000$ LFP+inverter+LFP charger+solar charge controller
500$ AC gen with DC outlet
500$ Solar panels +/-
??? Wind Gen ?
So for some 4000$ plus little more(special wires and plugs) I have a complete system and I am covered if I watch my consumption a little.
That is not bad $$$$
So there are valid choices even for people that are not DIY motivated.

Of course that is not what I have in mind but I think it should be mentioned to keep some healthy perspectives
Old 14-11-2017, 14:17   #215
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
Now You add on a UPS style power center like......
Goal Zero Yeti 3000 Lithium Portable Power Station | | Goal Zero
or similar and some solar panels and You are all set with of the shelf items.
Of course this one for 3000$ is not cheap but letīs see what I get for the money.
Those powerpaks are a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Discussion on comparing and evaluating them is worth a new thread.

Please no one call those "generators", we have to fight in this day and age for the fact that words do have meaning.

Also little to do with a UPS.

Let's keep this thread to burning fossil fuels to produce electricity.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 12:48   #216
cruiser

C.E Niehoff & Co "CEN"

400A military gennies designed for Humvee, 24V plus 50A at 12V!

Need to get up to 1500rpm to produce 50% current

Go for under $500 NOS

Video https://youtu.be/lzIf6ifjwN8
Old 22-11-2017, 06:45   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
WHAT IS A GOOD GENERATOR ??

The Military truck alternators are very good, There are provisions of connecting a few truck together and running a field hospital, Radar site, etc. So they really will make the current and more importantly do so continuously. They are not small or light though.
400 amps at 28V is a huge amount of power.
One issue for you DC guys is too look at what size cable it takes to carry that much power to a battery bank say 20’ away. It’s surprisingly large.
A 24V bank makes a lot of sense at these kinds of power levels
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 09:14   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Military truck alternators are very good, There are provisions of connecting a few truck together and running a field hospital, Radar site, etc. So they really will make the current and more importantly do so continuously. They are not small or light though.
400 amps at 28V is a huge amount of power.
One issue for you DC guys is too look at what size cable it takes to carry that much power to a battery bank say 20’ away. It’s surprisingly large.
A 24V bank makes a lot of sense at these kinds of power levels
I agree, those miltary alternators produce a lot of quality power.
However due to there voltage I donīt find them very practical on a standard boat installation where I try to keep everything simple at usually 12 volt.

Yes the size of the wires is certainly an issue
Old 22-11-2017, 15:15   #219

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior 90 View Post
I agree, those miltary alternators produce a lot of quality power.
However due to there voltage I donīt find them very practical on a standard boat installation where I try to keep everything simple at usually 12 volt.

Yes the size of the wires is certainly an issue
I think if you are handling much DC power on board, 24 volts really makes sense and might even be worth converting a 12v boat. It's not just the size of the wires -- it's the sheer amperage involved.

Anyway most larger boats are 24v, I think --mine is. 24v gear like windlasses and bow thrusters work much better than 12v. If I were using a lot of DC power on board, I would go to 24v even on a smaller boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 16:10   #220
cruiser

And down converters really aren't expensive.

Or even a Sterling 24-12 B2B charger, from a big 24V LFP bank, could keep a small lead starter/reserve topped up all the time.

Tags
generator