Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 11:29   #1

What Is a Good Sailboat for My Needs

Hello,

I am in the market for a Sailboat. I have a wife and two young kids and we are looking for a sailboat in the range of 40’ to 50’ that will be roomy enough for all four of us and that we can use to sail the Caribbean and to areas such as Argentina. We would spend some a bit of time at port before we move on to the next destination, so comfort is more important that tight living space for cruising. I am not as focused on speed as much as comfort for the living spaces. I would prefer a boat that was moderate on heeling, even if it requires losing a little speed to make it more comfortable for my family. I would like to but a fiberglass boat that is used to save on costs.

My question is what are good boats for these needs? What makes and sizes should I look for that will fit with the plans for my family? What sailboats would you look to buy if you had the same needs as me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cdoolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Is a Good Sailboat for My Needs

Greetings and Welcome....
Whats the budget... examples below...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:41   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Heeling

The cats win hands down on the heeling issue and are the most comfortable at sea or docked. The monos will actually roll side to side even if stationary at anchor or moored to a dock. Cats don't. The downside is cats are more expensive per foot of length compared to a monohull but can have up to 50% more living space which balances the economics a bit. An average cruising cat is equal or maybe slightly better in speed than an average cruising mono. Granted most cruising cats don't go to windward as well as a monohull but they can bear off a little and acheive a higher speed and possibly arrive at an upwind destination as fast or faster than a mono while actually covering a longer distance. Cats and monos are both equally seaworthy generally speaking, it just depends on what floats your boat. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 12:55   #4

Boat: Hunter 49
Re: What Is a Good Sailboat for My Needs

My family and I sail a Hunter 49. It's very comfortable and easy to sail, which is important since we've got 3 little ones who require much attention. I'd recommend Hunter, Beneteau or Jeanneau or Catalina... Pretty much the boats that get bashed by sailors a lot. They are built specifically like your asking. Comfort and ease of use being key.

My family's not big on "tipping over", as my kids say, either, but we are fractional members on a boat and a catamaran isn't an option yet. We just furl the sails quite a bit when close hauled in decent wind, you really need to with these boats anyway as they lose efficiency when heeled over too much. Keep in mind a big cat can also be a bigger hassle when finding slips.
KiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 13:01   #5

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

On a mono, look for something beamy. That is the dimension that generally belies space below. Remember, a too-roomy cabin is actually a BAD thing if you are pushing a chop, or riding swells.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 13:14   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40

Welcome aboard...

Same as they say... get as big a boat as you can for your bucks. It's always good to have separate cabins for the kids so you can lock 'em away from each other when they start squabbling...

That way, they can also personalise their own space - you know, annoying posters, favourite toys, cool cushions etc.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 15:12   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Catalinas,Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, all the AWB's will suit you fine.
( youll never get me reccomending a Hunter)
Dave
Old 14-03-2011, 15:20   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Pretty much ANY boat being sold because it is coming off being chartered because that is excatly the type of boat put into charter.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 16:36   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

Argentina gets her share of bad weather and not only down south.

I would consider a strong cat like the Catana of at least 45 feet for the job - space, comfort and safety.

What is your sailing experience? And which way do you want to reach Argentina from the West Indies?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 13:41   #10

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

First of all, no boat ever built is big enough to take 3 kids along but since you can't send 'em back, get the biggest boat you can afford, or the biggest you can handle based on your sailing experience. As previously mentioned, Cat's have more space and they heel less but what was Not mentioned is that in most marinas, they also cost Double to park!!! And that can be Very expensive.
Of the boats suggested to you, any of them would likely suit your needs but my preference (Probably because we own one) would be the Jeanneau, preferably one built before they were taken over by Beneteau in 2001. Our "Pre Beneteau" 40 footer has taken us safely through serious weather and with your family on board, safety in all weather conditions must be your first consideration. On yachts in the size range I suspect you are looking for, comfort and space are things you get used to and learn to live with, on the other hand, Safety and Reliability are the key purchasing factors to consider, you only get one chance to get those things right...Good luck and safe sailing...
James Baines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat