Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 17:54   #331

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Single Handling?

I was once anchored on the Bahama banks about 10 miles from where NW Channel light is supposed to be lol. I thought I was far enough away from the normal traffic pattern to be out of everyone's way. Conditions were benign, partial moon was up, and I had my anchor light on.

About 0300 I was awakened by the sound of a diesel nearby. I went up on deck and saw an interisland freighter passing by too close for comfort. I was wondering if the watch stander was asleep when I saw that there were several people in the wheelhouse. The reason for the lack of attention became apparent when I saw one of the crew raise his hand in the air and bring it down quickly in a gesture familiar to anybody who has spent time in the islands.

They were playing dominos.
Old 10-06-2015, 18:31   #332
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
What I've said, sailing solo is taking more risk than those with crew.

Voluntarily taking more risk == Less seamanship.
Well, there is certainly no shortage of baffling comments that have been posted to this thread :-)

So, then... Sailing to Bermuda by definition entails "less seamanship" than motoring down the ICW?

Or, a circumnavigation by someone like Jeanne Socrates via the Great Capes == less seamanship than a Milk Run circumnavigation as part of an Oyster Rally?

Seriously?

By such a measure, I suppose the ultimate in seamanship is demonstrated by those who never leave the dock...

:-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 18:42   #333

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, there is certainly no shortage of baffling comments that have been posted to this thread :-)

So, then... Sailing to Bermuda by definition entails "less seamanship" than motoring down the ICW?

Or, a circumnavigation by someone like Jeanne Socrates via the Great Capes == less seamanship than a Milk Run circumnavigation as part of an Oyster Rally?

Seriously?

By such a measure, I suppose the ultimate in seamanship is demonstrated by those who never leave the dock...

We (Tasmania ) have the largest number per population in the Australian Continent of those type of seaman. They have absolutely fantastic stats for never having run aground, or into another vessel. And they never get into bad weather and need to call for help. They are amazing mariners.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 18:51   #334
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Exactly why you should read For Those in Peril on the Sea. Great book. Read it three times now. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../metamythic-20

Ralph
LOL, I've just downloaded it. should be fun.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 18:53   #335

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Seriously? not going to sea is compared to going to sea alone vs having crew?
You really gotta stretch to find a way to disagree.

And btw, I have no problem with solo sailors.
What I have a problem with is when they claim/brag they are such better sailors they don't need crew.
Mostly it is your own personal safety, so go right ahead!
I certainly did.

Now here is a guy committed to singlehanding...

Quote:

Seriously?

Old 10-06-2015, 19:07   #336
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:

Seriously?
Umm, she had her problems, right Jon?

Sad finale to the circumnavigation of Jeanne Socrates.

Catching up on my internet surfing I was so sad to read that Jeanne Socrates has run her boat aground just 100 miles short of completing her solo-circumnavigation.Her auto-pilot failed as she was taking a short nap. What an absolutely awful experience for such a capable and motivated lady, our thoughts are with her as she tries to salvage her beloved boat Nereida off the Pacific Mexican coast

clinging to the wreckage: Sad finale to the circumnavigation of Jeanne Socrates.

I'm not in the negative single-handing group, but have no problem keeping you guys honest...
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 19:15   #337
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:

Catching up on my internet surfing I was so sad to read that Jeanne Socrates has run her boat aground just 100 miles short of completing her solo-circumnavigation. I'm not in the negative single-handing group, but have no problem keeping you guys honest...
That was her previous RTW. Shes since gone RTW again, finished last year, without too much fuss, single handed. She's currently down Mexico way. At 72-73 she's a better sailor then someone half her age.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 19:17   #338
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
LOL, I've just downloaded it. should be fun.
It's actually quite good. I read it the third time while on a mooring in Hope Town, Bahamas. I also did the lighthouse there. Freaked me out. You'll understand when you read it.

Read Outbreak too. The second book. Not quite as good, but couldn't resist. The third book is on the way. Should be great, reading what is available. Check out his website. Great stuff - https://cmdrysdale.wordpress.com/

Enjoy,
Ralph
Old 10-06-2015, 19:29   #339
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
That was her previous RTW. Shes since gone RTW again, finished last year, without too much fuss, single handed. She's currently down Mexico way. At 72-73 she's a better sailor then someone half her age.
Agreed. She's awesome. Just saying that sleeping has bit her on the butt before, just like with Jessica (whom I also have the greatest respect for).

Ralph
Old 10-06-2015, 19:38   #340
Eternal Member

Quote:

Catching up on my internet surfing I was so sad to read that Jeanne Socrates has run her boat aground just 100 miles short of completing her solo-circumnavigation.Her auto-pilot failed as she was taking a short nap. What an absolutely awful experience for such a capable and motivated lady, our thoughts are with her as she tries to salvage her beloved boat Nereida off the Pacific Mexican coast

clinging to the wreckage: Sad finale to the circumnavigation of Jeanne Socrates.

I'm not in the negative single-handing group, but have no problem keeping you guys honest...
No problem at all... I'm guessing like many great voyagers, she became a better sailor and ultimately profited from such a mishap...

Actually, I've previously cited her incident in Mexico as a classic example of the risk of a singlehander sleeping inshore, and particularly while running under power...

;-)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1815789
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 19:45   #341

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

With all the talk about NUC lights in this thread, I wondered what the take was on displaying non traditional lights while sailing at night?
In Boston harbor, the coast guard once asked me to light my mainsail up to make me visible to other traffic.
On a couple overnight passages with poor visibility, I've hung an led lantern in my rigging to again light up the main. This could be mistaken for a steaming light, I suppose, but it seemed to make sense at the time. Especially as in one account of a collision I read, the single hander seemed to have been faulted for not being as lit up as possible (not an entirely accurate interpretation probably, the actual ruling was that the judge did not believe the sailor's running lights were either on/visible).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 20:01   #342

I have single handed with as many 5 on board!!!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 20:01   #343

I see nothing wrong with a spreader light to increase your visibility. I think it's a good idea under certain circumstances.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 22:33   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I see nothing wrong with a spreader light to increase your visibility. I think it's a good idea under certain circumstances.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Having lights on other than Navigation does nothing but cause confusion, and IMHO is selfishly thumbing your nose at others. Navigation lights are there to inform others where your vessel is going.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 23:53   #345

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Having lights on other than Navigation does nothing but cause confusion, and IMHO is selfishly thumbing your nose at others. Navigation lights are there to inform others where your vessel is going.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Tell that to every damn fishing boat on the water. I have frequently been unable to discern the nav lights of trawlers both inshore in Oz and well offshore in lots of places. They are lit up like a Hollywood premire, totally drowning out the sidelights. The gangs of shrimpers off northern NSW and Qld can be pretty intimidating!

But lighting up your sails shouldn't interfere with seeing your nav lights, either deck or tricolour, and just might help show that y ou are a sailboat... as if many of those whom you encounter near shore give a damn about that!

It's a jungle out there!

Jim

Tags
single