Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2019, 08:30   #46

Re: What is this crap in my RACOR fuel filter ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
You can put a match out in #2 Diesel fuel. The flash point (vapors) is > 40° C (105°F). So, unless it's a really log hot day it will not catch fire. It has to be at 225°C (437°F) to burn in a liquid form.
Not to worry.

And Windex is a good cleaner while it's still wet. Once it dries, the residue has to be scraped off.
Yep, had 1/3 a coffee can of diesel fuel once from cleaning filters. I thought I'd just burn it in the can in the yard. I couldn't get it to light up.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 15:02   #47

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Looks like you got fuel from a old marinia with old steel tanks !
When I put fuel in my Morgan it always goes in 5 gal jerry cans 4 of them .
Than when i have cleared the fuel dock. I get out the electric fuel pump and Bahia fuel filter. Than i pump from the jerry can thru the bahia filter into my tank. Than I know for certain none of the new fuel has water or rust in it .
I would go to the fuel tank remove the top 2 inch plate empty it and make a large swab ( stick and rag) and swab the tank bottom. Next replace the fuel lines with new fuel rubber hose. than change the raycore fuel filter. now your clean .! just keep the enzime additive in your tank.... Good luck , Fair winds
I filter all my fuel to 10 Microns thru my Alu Biahia filter . Mine has 3 removiable screens . not a drop of water gets thru my set up .
Im not saying any thing bad about any marinia pump. Im just being overcareful for my own engines good.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 06:56   #48

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Hi
best thing you can do is buy 2 fuel sampling kits, take 2 fuel samples, one drained from the filter and one from the tank, and get a report on the fuel its really not expensive, try the engine manufacturer dealer or a Caterpillar dealer will always have this facility, where oil sampling is common place. then you will at least know what it is.
either way its risking your fuel system and there fore your engine.
if this is growth the fuel needs to be polished this can be done on board, this growth normally happens if fuel is left undisturbed and most large fuel storage tanks in industrial applications actually have a polishing unit built in.
If its dirt its much the same process, a lot will depend on the quantity of fuel that you have, as to decide if its better to remove the fuel and start again, or polish it.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 07:13   #49

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Easy way to tell if it’s rust... just take a magnet and hold it opposite the ‘sludge’ and see if there is any attraction/ movement.

I got salt water contaminated diesel after a hurricane down in Bahamas. But it caused the more typical blackening of fuel and black ‘tar’ on the filter. Didn’t realize we had bad fuel until weeks later and took a full fuel scrubbing and recommended amounts of bioside ever since... even with good scrubbing you just can get to all areas of your tanks because of the anti-slosh baffles inside. Good luck. Hope you post here what it turns out be be. Bob
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 07:17   #50

My experiance with water and stuff in the Racor filter:
My tank had two pinpoint sized holes in the bottom. Bilgewater came into the tank and caused diesel fouling. The sludge blocked the fuel line and I had a real adventure...

If larger (1l) amounts of water is a recurring problem you have to look for holes in the bottom of the tank.
Epikur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:03   #51

Boat: hunter 41 DS

Have you added different diesel fuel treatments? I accidentally did this once and the 2 were incompatible and formed crud that looked similar to this.
bradm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:18   #52
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yep, had 1/3 a coffee can of diesel fuel once from cleaning filters. I thought I'd just burn it in the can in the yard. I couldn't get it to light up.

Don't get cocky. These I investigated for my company.

Accident 1. Worker was using a shop vac to remove diesel. Mist ignited and he went to hospital with minor burns and a sprained wrist.

Accident 2. Worker was pumping out diesel that had been inadvertently (switch load on tanker) contaminated with ~ 3% gasoline. He landed 15 feet away and the truck was destroyed. Very lucky.

Accident 3. Vapors accumulated near the top of the tank that were lighter. Grinding spark lit them. 30,000 gallon tank jumped 8 feet in the air.

The problems are contamination, sun (105F for a metal surface in the sun is nothing), and mists, which all change your numbers.
Old 25-01-2019, 08:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradm85 View Post
Have you added different diesel fuel treatments? I accidentally did this once and the 2 were incompatible and formed crud that looked similar to this.

^^ This too. I've replicated this is testing. Biobor JF will not do this, but several others will. It is a risk if you just dump it in.
Old 25-01-2019, 12:49   #54

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I'm no expert on diesel fuel, but I have a Racor water separator filter installed in my gas line (outboard auxiliary motor) and it looks like the filter is installed sideways. I believe the usual installation is vertical, with the bowl and drain at the bottom of the assembly; I don't see how you could drain the water out completely given the current configuration. With that much crud accumulating, after draining and cleaning the bowl, I would inspect the tank, clean out any debris, and ditto all fuel lines to the filter and from there to the motor. A new filter cartridge is definitely in order.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 13:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtriad View Post
I'm no expert on diesel fuel, but I have a Racor water separator filter installed in my gas line (outboard auxiliary motor) and it looks like the filter is installed sideways. I believe the usual installation is vertical, with the bowl and drain at the bottom of the assembly; I don't see how you could drain the water out completely given the current configuration. With that much crud accumulating, after draining and cleaning the bowl, I would inspect the tank, clean out any debris, and ditto all fuel lines to the filter and from there to the motor. A new filter cartridge is definitely in order.

Sideways. That's funny.

Something to understand about e19 gasoline, if that is what you are running, is that it generally won't separate water. If there is less than 0.4% in the tank, any water that drops out soon redissolves. If it is more than 0.4%, the whole tank separates , with 10% dropping out, and the Raycor won't help.

Also, if it is gasoline, the clear bowls cannot be installed below decks. Just sayin'. I've had supplemental filtration like that on several outboards, and it helps, but I always located the filter so that it could drain overboard. In fact, a Raycor 500 or similar is overkill. There are many more compact units that should still be plenty and that are rated for gasoline. (metal bowl if below decks)
Old 25-01-2019, 16:31   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe the clear bowls can be installed below decks, if they have the metal fire shields, Looks like a bowl under the filter.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 19:46   #57

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Looks to be oxidation from the inside of that aluminum tank.
It probably had water in it and corroded, built up that fluffy white powder (oxidation) and some fell off, got sucked up into the fuel filter bowl.
Open your tank at the fuel sender or inspection port, insert a mirror and shine a spot beam from a flash lite unto the mirror, you will then be able to inspect for corrosion.
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 03:01   #58

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Metal bowl required for USCG inspected vessels.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 10:40   #59

Boat: 1979 Hunter 30 Finestkind

Been there... had that.
Old Hunter 30 with Monel 12 gal. 20+ years of mild Hudson River use.
First trip to Long Island Sound & a lot of storm chop stirred the tank & overcame both Racor & Yanmar filters. I got to learn how to install injectors!
2 years later... I was handed the *gasoline* pump nozzle instead of diesel. More than a gallon got in before I noticed. Many Nautical terms used. Much bouncing action as we sailed back from sound to Hudson. Turns out it “helped” to clean the insides by loosening up decades of crud.
I consulted with a well respected fuel polishing company... he could not work in NY so with his recommendations, this was the fix...

Removed fuel line from inlet of racor & drained tank of most volume by starting a siphon. Dispose of waste properly.
Create a large volume filtration unit! I used a single chamber water style filter housing (as found at a hardware store) and created a hose to the tank draw tube; a hose with a section of pex at the end long enough to reach the lowest corner of the tank & inserted it via the tank fill hose fitting on top. Another section to run from the “filtered” side to a 12 volt impeller pump fitted with a resistant impeller.
I went through a few filters and collected over 2 cups of granular crud / deceased beasts / angel poop... I aimed the spray of ‘return’ about to wash junk into suspension for capture.
The next stage involved emptying as fully as possible (hint... that pex end switched & used for suctioning can get to corners & sump under the draw tube).
Final cleaning involved fresh diesel -about 3 gallons- and a pint of Methyl Ethyl Ketone. Yes.
And Yes, it is an issue to properly vent the space. And Yes, I created a massive intake of forced airflow. And a respirator. And help standing by outside. (25+ years fire service- won’t be embarrassed by creating a “story”!)
Wash down all interior surfaces thoroughly with multiple filter changes as required. Aim to wash crud towards auctioned pickup! (I easily got 3’times as much junk with the pro’s formula!) Continued until clear on coarse filters.
Drained fluid & properly disposed of!
Added 2 gallons of fuel. Hooked up racor to draw tube from tank. Racor ‘out’ to impeller pump and back to tank top with wand still in use. Washed out another her 5 or 6 filters worth until with all my efforts no additional fine I material could be washed up into suspension for filtration!!
Drain to waste (on general principals!) and dispose of properly!
Replumb cleaned out lines & hoses, filter housings & fresh filters.
Bleed lines & enjoy running diesel!
(Later I purchased & plumbed in a vac gauge! Use a china marker to mark normal (clean filters) operating vacuum. I check it a lot!)
4 years & no problems... use good fuel, bio side as recommended by the Pro, and cleaner / stabilization. Store for winter full.

Good Luck!
jackmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 10:55   #60

Boat: Cabo Rico

I would change my secondary (engine mounted) fuel filter at the same time. It usually has a smaller micron filter than the Racor, and I bet you'll find debris there as well.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, racor