Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2019, 16:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: What is this please

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Funny though, I figured these kinda of internationally relevant rules would be standardised. I mean, let’s face it, that bit of plywood is pretty easily transferred to another boat. I actually think the AMSA rule makes a bit of sense.

But yeah, state rules in Oz are bizarre.
The rules are standardized under IMO (International Maritime Organization) for any country that is a signatory. The rules simply state that they must be marked on a part of the vessel permanent structure and may not be easily removed or defaced.
Old 31-10-2019, 16:39   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Here in Oz it still has to be carved in. See page 14...

https://www.amsa.gov.au/sites/default/files/amsa451.pdf

Actually the marking note documentation allows for plaques to be used when carving into your pride and joy isn't practical. They do specify that it must be attached in a way that makes it a permanent fixture.

Interestingly enough, I've spoken to a number of people in the know recently about this very subject and the typical response seems to be "no one cares" when it comes to recreational vessels. As an example, very few AU registered vessels have their name applied to the letter () of the requirements of the marking note; which even specifies font style and dimensions. All those boats showing their O.N. number on the stern? This isn't a requirement; Only the home port needs to be shown. My boat has all the technically correct stuff on the hull, but has never had the ON number plaque mounted in the cabin.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 00:26   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Actually the marking note documentation allows for plaques to be used when carving into your pride and joy isn't practical. They do specify that it must be attached in a way that makes it a permanent fixture.

Interestingly enough, I've spoken to a number of people in the know recently about this very subject and the typical response seems to be "no one cares" when it comes to recreational vessels. As an example, very few AU registered vessels have their name applied to the letter () of the requirements of the marking note; which even specifies font style and dimensions. All those boats showing their O.N. number on the stern? This isn't a requirement; Only the home port needs to be shown. My boat has all the technically correct stuff on the hull, but has never had the ON number plaque mounted in the cabin.

I figure the ON on the stern was often used by those riding the old free-state-registration-for-registered-ships fiddle that was available in some states until a few years ago. It helped to have some kind of rego showing to appease the water police.

As for the carved in bit, mine has hers carved into the deck beam over the forward bulkhead. Very nicely done too. But a bit of a pain as I was seriously considering replacing the beam when I replaced the deck last year, but didn’t want to lose the carving. If that beam causes trouble in the future I’m gonna feel like a bit of an idiot.
Old 01-11-2019, 00:47   #19

Boat: X442

... and this is how the bad omen of renaming a ship came about. After taking over a ship, pirates needed to erase any trace of a previous identity, including removing the main beam in its entirety. This would weaken the ship sufficiently as to make it prone to some kind of structural failure. That's what I read anyway...
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:10   #20

Quote:
Here in Oz it still has to be carved in. See page 14...

https://www.amsa.gov.au/sites/default/files/amsa451.pdf
how do you carve into a plastic fantastic, most production boats you would go straight through if you tried to carve, surprised
you aussies are so far behind us poms :-)
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
... and this is how the bad omen of renaming a ship came about. After taking over a ship, pirates needed to erase any trace of a previous identity, including removing the main beam in its entirety. This would weaken the ship sufficiently as to make it prone to some kind of structural failure. That's what I read anyway...

it is not a bad omen to change the name of a boat, change the name change the luck was the saying in olden times. Changing the name could be a positive if you were a fisherman on a bad run.
CatCouple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease