Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:41   #76

Boat: 48 Californian
Re: What Rules Do You Have for Guests Aboard ?

Do you folks really treat your guests, your friends, like this? Your yacht club panties are wound way to tight.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55   #77

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

VyndanceII... if you are out for a day sail with friends you have known for some time, you already have a pretty good idea of their ability/stability.
As I understand the purpose of this thread, what rules are appropriate for guests/crew on a more extended passage? There are some really great issues addressed IMO and some insightful suggestions from experienced cruisers.
Not sure if there are any 'yacht clubbies' expressing opinions... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:04   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
Do you folks really treat your guests, your friends, like this? Your yacht club panties are wound way to tight.
Actually some of this stuff is boating 101. Making sure anyone coming on board understands the basics of safety. Whether it's a crew that you need to vet or friends and guests that whose safety you are responsible for makes a difference but in either case you shouldn't have people on your boat without some briefing.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There was a medical thread just a few weeks ago where a woman had hidden a medical condition, left without med.s and had to be lifted off the boat after suffering seizures.

People sometimes act very differently when they are offshore than they do at the dock and it can be difficult to tell if someone is lying about health issues. Perhaps requiring a medical certificate or really checking up on references would be a good idea.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11   #80
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

finding out their medication list is a decent start-- then looking those meds up online in a pdr kind of book helps, and asking their complete medical history doesnt hurt. and when they pop pills i always ask what those are. yes i am nosey but it IS my boat and my HOME so i am rightfully so. inquisitioning also shows you what kind of folks they are--if they handle it well or not, how much squirming as you ask and where their eyes go when questioned about stuff.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:13   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
do you sail--where to and for how long are you under way. do you use crew. if boat is your home, what would YOU do.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18   #82

Boat: Skookum 53'

Back in the day when I was running fishing charters, I got to the point where I would ask everyone if there were any medical conditions I needed to know about. Over time, I had 2 different people experience mild heart attacks, where we ended up putting nitro under their tongues to help them get back to shore alive. I don't think it is rude to ask if they have any health related issues. I have worked with diabetics that let me know exactly how to handle them in case their blood sugar got too low, and the information served me well. So for even a few hour trip, I want to know if they have medical issues. And I let every one know, that illegal substances are strictly forbidden.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Actually some of this stuff is boating 101. Making sure anyone coming on board understands the basics of safety. Whether it's a crew that you need to vet or friends and guests that whose safety you are responsible for makes a difference but in either case you shouldn't have people on your boat without some briefing.

If safety and toilet operation was all this 40 + thread was about I would not have commented. But 'cmon written rules about cooking, cleaning, dufflebags, Captains, Admirals and all the rest? I've got to hang with Lorenzo. Guests is the buzz word.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34   #84

i do not have GUESTS on board. anyone other than myself on board is crew. if they CAN NOT follow instruction, they need to be elsewhere.
i do not need to have my boat destroyed by incoming disrespectful humans
Old 01-10-2011, 12:42   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i do not have GUESTS on board. anyone other than myself on board is crew. if they CAN NOT follow instruction, they need to be elsewhere.
i do not need to have my boat destroyed by incoming disrespectful humans

Zee, you should probably go back and read the question in the first post. Guests are just that. Crew are people you expect to work for something in return. There was never any mention of crew.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:48   #86

i already asked you how far you sail and where to and all that-- you didnt bother to answer. when you make long passages in a boat you consider your own home, there are no GUESTS there is only CREW. both are equal and same. why dont you answer my questions?
i refuse to take my boat offshore with anyone on board who will endanger it or myself or my cat. is important to deeply inspect each individual who enters my home/boat BEFORE i head 100 miles offshore.
and,NO, i do NOT daysail.
Old 01-10-2011, 13:01   #87

I didn't read the entire thread so am not sure if I am repeating anything.

In anycase I believe that a distinction can be made between guests invited out for a day sail or multi day coastal sale and an offshore passage.

For a coastal or day sail a guest can be just that a guest and only needs to know the rules as they pertain to safety. I have had 80+ year old people on board on don't expect them to act as crew but do want them to be safe and avoid doing something that can damage the boat.

On an offshore passage anyone on board would be considered crew. I have crewed across the pacific and skippered one 20 day blue water passage. Beyond safety, which is non-negotiable, watches, cooking, cleaning and multitude of other chores must be done. A set watch system is the way to go and expectations must be laid out and clearly understood before the boat leaves the dock. There is always room for flexibility in this area as long as everyone is mature about it.

If I were doing a long passage with crew that I did not know well I would have an agreement with them that states who will pay the expenses for the plane ride home if things are not working out. A friend had to drop a crew member in American Samoa as they were too sea sick to continue to Hawaii. Knowing who would have to foot that bill would have made kicking them off the boat easier.

M
mtembene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 13:08   #88

Good Lord Zee, you read as well as you type. My resume 41 years boating. 30 sail, 11 power. Have never been farther than La Paz, twice. Have only been 100 miles off shore twice coming home. And your rant has nothing to do with the original post. No one has ever said you were not the legend you portray, I am saying if you go back and read the original post your answers do not apply. If you do not have guests on your boat why did you comment on this post in the first place.
Old 01-10-2011, 13:13   #89

i have already had potential crew come in and use all my sweet water, try to sink the boat by leaving toilet open, and clog it with toilet paper, and leave lights on in bathroom as HE stood to pee, flooding floor with urine, failure to mention all medical problems, yes, one had health issues of import, and they could not bother to replace the goods they ate that were onboard and bought by me for loong trip-- was to have been 1250 miles from that particular port..... yes, crew AND guests need to be instructed as to how to live on a cruising sailboat.
i am not SNOTTY YOTTY..yacht clubs have negative connotation to me.
and i didnt attack you--i answered the post. as asked was answered. for your information, crew in my boat are considered GUESTS in my HOME for long times at a stretch. as you allegedly have so much experience, then you would KNOW this factoid.
Old 01-10-2011, 13:32   #90

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

It occurs to me that guest and crew are used for the same thing casualy.
Yes an elderly visitor on a day trip would have a short rule set. But on any trip more that a day all persons on board are resources for the skipper. Anyone can create a disaster by fiddling or save one by asking the right question. Clear boundarys make obligations and rights simple then we can enjoy ourselves when it is safe
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote