Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2018, 12:35   #16

Re: What Sailing Strategies Do Crews Argue About Most?

As to what is most debated when sailing by the crew, that is easy to discern:

1) Choice for the evening's sundowner -

When: Before, at or after sunset. And whether there should also be sunrisers, and mid-dayers?

Quantity: What is too much, if there is ever too much?

Types: Endless subject matter. E.g.,
Martinis - shaken or stirred, neat or dirty, kind of glass served in.

Whiskies - Single malt or blend, Scotch, Irish, Canadian, Bourbon. Neat or with ice.

Wines - Which varietal and vintner and vintage.

Beers - Top fermented, ale or bottom fermented, lager. IPA, Porter, Wheat, Stout, Belgian. etc. By general consensus, Lite is for landlubbers.

Rum - Seemingly mostly about the size and timing of the crew's daily ration, or rations. Less about what kind.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 13:08   #17

For about 10 years, I crewed with a captain in whom I had absolute trust. When he said "do this", I did it immediately--without question or comment. It kept us alive more than once. You can ask questions later over a beer.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 14:12   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
This might be a simple question of semantics, but those topics are "discussed" on any boat I am on, never debated. The Captain ALWAYS makes the final decision. If it is my boat, that is me, if it is your boat, it is (probably) you.

All those topics can be, and have been, discussed on my boat. (Including my favorite: "etc")

The mark of a good crew (and a good Captain!) is such discussions can happen without turning into debates. As crew, the best approach with any reasonable Captain is to ask questions, "What do you see coming in the weather forecast?" "How do you decide on when to douse the spinnaker?" As Captain, the best approach is to listen to every concern and either accept it as a valid issue and act or explain why you think your preferred course of action is better.

Not much to debate and I agree, “discuss” is the word. If we have crew, which is only on very long transits, I have what i think is going to happen worked out. The discussion is to solicit suggestions and arrive at a plan that satisfies the need for safety and the goal. I reserve the final vote but I think it’s important to listen and accommodate everyone as much as possible. If you choose crew well, their opinions can be quite valuable. In the end, you need to know your boat and it’s abilities as well as the people aboard.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 15:18   #19

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Been a professional capt on both sail and motor vessels, for several decades, and not much arguing going on. We may have some different ideas, or good suggestions arise, we can exam that , accept it , or not, the final decision is the captains.

I will listen to suggestions, and they can be quite helpful, but the capt has the hammer, and responsibility for the vessel, crew, passengers, and the buck stops there.

for many years, I have been blessed with a great and highly capable sailing partner in Erica. We we just work together, but I am the skipper when it comes to final decisions. However, we both think along the same lines, and she is an excellent sailor, and also excellent on motor vessels.

I thought about the subject of this thread, and what have I argued about ? In all the years, I do not remember anything significant. Any different ideas, things would be sorted out very quickly with rational thinking, knowledge, seamanship ability, safety of the vessel, and past experience.

As far as I am concerned, having arguments on board a vessel is unacceptable.
Especially on a constant basis. Time for a personal evaluation, or new crew.

Suggestions, or questions are just fine . But, arguing or debating shows a lack of knowledge on some ones part . We all can learn, and should be continuing to do so.

If a suggestion is a good one, use it ! If not, don't. You can explain why later when things are smooth sailing .
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 15:31   #20

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Oh, as far as sundowners......

No problem with me.....

Dark rum on the rocks with a splash of water. Erica likes a light rum, with ice and some kind of a mixer.

After anchoring or the mooring pick up, or tied up in a slip, I square away the sails, make up all lines, tie off all halyards from slapping against the mast, she opens the hatches, , set the marine head to holding tank , turns off all non essential electronics, and sets the battery to house, and puts on the music, fixes the drinks, and maybe a happy hour much snack.

Team work , and wonderfully good times.

Let the party begin.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 15:45   #21

Boat: Etap 37 S

If the question is "discuss" rather than argue, then the answer is sail trim. Endlessly. Most other items like anchoring, who does what when parking the boat etc are all well understood.
Bring the heady in a bit... move the car forward a bit... little bit more backstay... main car down... lets try a whisker pole... how about a second headsail... preventer on the main.

Which generaly ends up with dumping all the sails and motoring.

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 17:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Oh, as far as sundowners......

No problem with me.....

Dark rum on the rocks with a splash of water. Erica likes a light rum, with ice and some kind of a mixer.

After anchoring or the mooring pick up, or tied up in a slip, I square away the sails, make up all lines, tie off all halyards from slapping against the mast, she opens the hatches, , set the marine head to holding tank , turns off all non essential electronics, and sets the battery to house, and puts on the music, fixes the drinks, and maybe a happy hour much snack.

Team work , and wonderfully good times.

Let the party begin.
Duties done, drinks up.

As to VMG and all the stuff associated with achieving such, I just look at the wake, see that we are making progress and say, all's good.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 17:48   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Normally we ask questions like billknny said. Questions about everything on your list, especially the weather forecasts. The only time debate happens is over what tone of voice the other was using when one of us feels upset about the way we are being spoken to.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:10   #24

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

When I cruise, or even daysail with experienced crew we discuss many aspects. Weather, traffic, intermediate destinations, reefing etc. The final decision is always mine, but these guys have cruised their own boats and have useful input. Several have put in thousands of miles aboard WS as well. As for sail trim, the guy on watch decides.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:52   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki S View Post
Normally we ask questions like billknny said. Questions about everything on your list, especially the weather forecasts. The only time debate happens is over what tone of voice the other was using when one of us feels upset about the way we are being spoken to.

I show this video to all new racing crew. Warning (not for those offended by coarse language)!

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 10:12   #26

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

All this talk about captain's word is the law. Nice if you have halfway intelligent human as captain. A 23 day crossing to Marquesas as crew with inexperienced and incompetent captain, gives me a slightly different perspective. At some point when the captain orders you to do a highly dangerous procedure in an incorrect way, you should start by politely telling the captain how to do the same thing in a safe way, and if the situation is life threating, the only recourse is to disobey. No argument, just don't do it.

As an example, we had a few arguments and discussions, later, about why you do not ask crew to lie down on top of a big genoa jib that is being lowered in a near gale at sea. I saw the other inexperienced crew just obeying his orders, until I told the cap that this will stop right now. Fortunately the crew knew I was more experienced than the cap, and got off that sail in time to avoid man 0verboard.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 10:31   #27

I was in the process of selling boat to a young couple with two small kids. The wife was busy hectoring the kids with "Don't do this, don't do thats," for the first hours. In spite of that the kids were happy. She then said to her husband, "We're gonna have to make a lot of new rules for them."

I said we only have two rules on our boats and they are simple:

1. One hand for yourself and one for the boat.
2. Please do what I ask right away, and if you have any questions ask away only after you've done what I asked you to do.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 10:49   #28

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Leaving the seat up or down in the head is #1 LOL! #2 is whether to reef the Main or change the headsail! #3 would be who takes the night watch, or mid watch, if 3 crew are sailing LOL! I could go on and on because after 175,000 offshore miles nothing really changes LOL! Now if you' re discussing what comes out of the galley, well that's 'serious business at Sea' LOL

When at sea, gentlemen sit down to pee.

In fact on my boat, gentlemen as well as scoundrels sit down to pee even if the boat is not moving. If I find the seat up someone’s getting keel hauled. The head stays so much cleaner.
Old 21-10-2018, 20:15   #29

Suijin, lol! I should have been more explicit for #1. It was in reference to those below unable to make it to the rail to feed the fish! Puking all over the seat in the head is not condoned on my boats. Dont laugh I have had newbies do just that and crawl back to a berth, only to go in to use the head and have to clean up after them. This while it was raging outside and no one able to helm the boat! Of course I and everyone that sails with me sits in the head, its actually my greeting aboard. Welcome, if you have to go you will sit regardless the nature of your business in the head, thank you for your cooperation. Now here's a life jacket and hoping you don't need it on this sail! That usually gets a first timer asking where the head is lol!
Old 21-10-2018, 20:44   #30

GPS display fixed to heading vs true north.

Obviously true north is the correct choice.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, sail, sailing