Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau 440
What Spare Parts?

I had posted earlier that I will be sailing my Catalina 30 to her new slip in the spring. It's going to be about 260 miles and I figure 5 to 6 days to make the trip. We will be sailing from Holland Michigan to Mackinaw City.

Question is what spare parts or gear would you all consider essential and what would you just like to bring along?

Thanks in advance
Steelshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:56   #2

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
On a relatively short trip, and in an area where emergency parts can be obtained.... I wouldn't worry too much about loading up on spares. I would carry a couple of extra fuel filters, engine water pump">raw water pump impellers, handheld vhf, (assuming that an installed VHF is aboard), and possibly a handheld GPS; along with a decent toolbox and flashlights. And a few spare bulbs for running lights and interior lights.

It seems like the most inconvenient thing to happen on the trip is for the engine to conk out... and beyond changing fuel filters or a raw water pump impeller... you probably won't deal with it yourself until you tie up for the night. Other systems can be fixed when you reach shore.

As an interesting point.... I learned a few things about spare parts. First, you don't bring them on board to actually use them. You bring them aboard for the sole purpose for the original part to not break; but this only works if the boat knows that you have a spare on board.... so make sure you annouce to the boat that you have particular spares. Secondly, beyond carrying spares for safety functions, decide what you can't (or don't want to do without while at sea. In this category, we carry rebuild kits for our head, water pumps, spare alternator and regulators, wire, connectors, emergency antenna, etc. Some parts we can just swap out (water pumps) while we rebuild the other.

Our situation is a bit different than yours.... so we carry lots of spares. But we also raised our boot stripe because of all the 'stuff' that we carry. For a Catalina 30, I'd keep it light.... yet carry the basics for emergency repairs dependent on the location where you are cruising.

Regards,
Steve
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:08   #3

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailabel View Post
As an interesting point.... I learned a few things about spare parts ... You bring them aboard for the sole purpose for the original part to not break; but this only works if the boat knows that you have a spare on board.... so make sure you annouce to the boat that you have particular spares.
Does bluffing work, or does she always know when you are lying?
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:41   #4

It doesn't matter what you bring. The part needed won't be onboard when needed.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:08   #5

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I'm with Sailabel on this, a short voyage, just the spares for things you'd rather not do without. The other thing I'd make sure of is, have the tools available to be able to change an impeller etc and check that you actually have all you need, not what you think you'll need. A few screwdrivers and one or two adjustable wrenches is probably not going to hack it.

Paige
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:23   #6

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
A good manual bilge pump and a Boat/US towing membership.
MJWEENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:20   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For short trips, only things which are commonly needed and easily changed out. Turning a boat into a warehouse of spare parts increases its weight, I think, unnecessarily. Its also expensive to buy parts which one might never need.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58   #8

You can take a look at see what you might need as well. Look at the engine belt; if it's in great shape, chances are you won't need a new one. If it has a crack in it, bring a spare.

A raw water impeller, some batteries for gps/flashlights/etc, fresh flares, and some basic sail repair materials shouldn't cost much and will fix most of your problems. Maybe some tarred twine for fixing things you can't even imagine just yet.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:26   #9

Boat: Cascade
If your going to service the engine yourself why not change the impeller and fuel and oil filters before you depart. Or have some one do it..... You would still need bring spares but do all the service this winter so your ready to go. You will also learn the, where, how, and dificulty level of doing it before your sitting out there with the motor overheating and trying to change an impeller hanging upsidedown.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:37   #10

Boat: Irwin 41
Do you maybe have some extra thoughts for my specific situation? I have a twenty-something years old 3 cylinder yanmar diesel of 35 hp as auxiliary power. What should I preview as spares? I will be doing a longer passage of 2 weeks.
szymk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 08:55   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
do it the easy way

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymk View Post
Do you maybe have some extra thoughts for my specific situation? I have a twenty-something years old 3 cylinder yanmar diesel of 35 hp as auxiliary power. What should I preview as spares? I will be doing a longer passage of 2 weeks.
You can ask your Yanmar dealer to put together a spares kit for your particular engine. You'll get every belt, impeller, filter, et cetera.
Old 24-02-2010, 09:05   #12
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
For this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
I had posted earlier that I will be sailing my Catalina 30 to her new slip in the spring. It's going to be about 260 miles and I figure 5 to 6 days to make the trip. We will be sailing from Holland Michigan to Mackinaw City.

Question is what spare parts or gear would you all consider essential and what would you just like to bring along?

Thanks in advance
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWEENZ View Post
A good manual bilge pump and a Boat/US towing membership.
5 or 6 days? Harbor hopping?

Seriously, if you check your systems out before you go it shoudn't be a problem- On that side you have Torrenson, Irish and Shepler's. Do your maintenance and go.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 09:29   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
It is good to have some wood, alloy and epoxy plus a good set of tools. Often a spare part is not available but a repair can be made to get to the port safely.

So, my attitude is - limited spares, but a good supply of repair materials and tools.

The spares I cannot do without are - filters, oil, liquid gasket, bulbs, fuses to name a few. We will also carry 3M 5200 FC, dacron and insignia - because this is how we fix sail (most often - others'). Then we carry odds and bits like pieces of tubing of all sorts, plenty of cordage and pieces of electrical wire.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 07:06   #14

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
what spare parts or gear would you all consider essential and what would you just like to bring along?
The usual filters, bulbs and tools (others have mentioned), plus ditty bag and duct-tape (don't leave home without it).
Old 25-02-2010, 07:44   #15

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You can ask your Yanmar dealer to put together a spares kit for your particular engine. You'll get every belt, impeller, filter, et cetera.
Mack Boring (and probably other distributers) sell a spare parts kit in two variations. One is more extensive for cruising. I don't have a link but got the paper brochure when I repowered this summer. It looked pretty complete and may be something that helps.
Steve Dashew also has a list of what he includes in his FPB series that may be a starting point to look at. I would imagine he has a fairly complete list..

Spares link.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote