Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2024, 22:03   #1

What time of year to purchase

So, I have recently retired. 53 yrs old. Planning on chasing a lifelong dream and trying the cruising life. I am financially sound yet will be buying a used monohull.

I am thinking that seeking a boat in February and March may not be wise because I would be limiting the states with weather good enough to sea trial. Maybe I should wait for late spring as that would open up the boats in the PNW and the upper east coast. Not to mention the boats that may be suitable from the great lakes.

Please chime in with thoughts and advice.
Pontoonrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 03:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: What time of year to purchase

Hi, Pontoonrob,
I recommend updating your profile with your location. That will help others tailor their responses.

There is nothing stopping you from doing your window shopping online now. I spent at least a year watching ads, accumulating lists of candidates, researching model-specific issues. Eventually, the right one came along in a convenient location.

One key problem with investigating a boat for sale in the northeast US this time of year is that it may be on stands and covered. An owner may be reluctant or unable to de-winterize for a sea trial until Spring. But starting the process of buying a boat now, pending a sea trial in the Spring, can be done, if both parties can deal with the waiting.

Good luck in your search!
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 05:28   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I've bought and sold a fair number of boats and living in the Northeast we looked at a few in winter, but they are often covered up tight with snow on deck and torn apart down below. It is a lot more fun and productive looking at boats in warmer places like Florida, combined with a nice little vacation. Even if you don't find the boat you want it will give you a much better idea of what that type of boat is like. Shopping for boats in New England doesn't really begin in ernest until April/May, and you can sometimes score a bargain if you buy the boat before the owner commissions it for the season. Personally, I would much rather see and inspect the boat out of the water than in the water.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:02   #4

I've bought all my boats in winter in the Northeastern US (New England).

It's a great time to buy. Brokers are not busy, sellers are motivated. You have to do it in separate steps.

1) View

2) Structural Survey, mechanical inspection

3) Mechanical Survey

4) Sea trial

Mechanical Survey and seatrial are on the same day.

I make an earnest money deposit with the P&S and a series of contingencies with reasonable dates. The seller has to acknowledge that in February, the Sea trial isn't happening until April. Besides, it is the sellers responsibility to get the boat launched and they usually have boats in front of them.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 09:05   #5

Winter is a good time to buy because people are tired of maintaining and paying for moorage in the bad weather.
It's also a good time to sea trial a boat because doing it in flat calm summer weather tells you next to nothing. But in 15 knots of wind you can find out if the design has too much weather helm, how it pounds into the wind chop etc etc.

But look for a local boat, shipping a boat is very high cost.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:52   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

Buy close to home and don’t be afraid to do so in the winter as long as you follow the advice above about getting a sea trial in the spring. It is common to escrow something for the engine and other systems to be demonstrated once the boat is launched, but you can also try to have the engine run on the hard during the initial survey. And you want to make sure the initial survey is done in temperatures that are above freezing for a few days prior, as the surveyor will need that in order to detect any moisture in the hull or deck. Moisture meters don’t pick up frozen water.

I’ve done this twice with no issues.

I’ve also bought a boat about 700 miles away, and I can tell you it’s a much bigger hassle.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:54   #7

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Too often we hear "We should have bought a bigger boat" after the couple has owned their first boat for just a few months. The smaller boat was manageable and comfortable when it was purchased in May but now that they have a half-dozen or so weekends on short cruises along with a two week vacation cruise, they realize that it's a little cramped with another couple onboard and a lot cramped with two other couples. The "big" boat that was intimidating when trying in the spring would be easy to manage after getting a few months experience. Think about the realistic use of the boat before buying. Will you be alone living aboard, cruising only with your spouse or significant other, or will you use the boat for weekends with one to three guest couples regularly aboard? Buy the size you need for the purpose it will fulfill.

Sailboats have many limitations for cruising the inland waterways and powerboats have too limited a range (unless you buy a big one) for crossing oceans. Powerboats use a lot of fuel if you cruise long distances but on the other side, when the rigging on you ketch needs replacing, be prepared to cash in a few CDs.

As to when to buy: It might be worth waiting for the springtime when the shrink wrap is removed and the northern boats no longer resemble igloos.
For where to buy the boat, realize that most Florida boats are used most of the year and are baked by the intense UV rays of the summer sun while many of the northern boats are on the hard for half the year and have less intense summer UV exposure. Also, Great Lakes boats and others used inland avoid the salt exposure and the fouling and corrosion associated with ocean use.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 11:09   #8

Thank you all for the replies.

Being that it takes me a long time to make decisions I believe I will start looking in the warmer areas now and work my way north with the weather.

Maybe I'll find something.

There sure is a lot that goes into just figuring out how to look for the right boat, yet alone actually finding a few to dive deeper into.

Updating my location would serve no purpose as I no longer have a location. I sold it all, perfect timing with a young couple who wanted everything, as is, including my boat service business. I worked hard and finally got lucky.

I believe I will concentrate my searches to the carribean and south and east coasts of US as I believe I want to begin this live aboard cruising journey in the keys, bahamas, and carribean. Heck, that may be good enough for me. I am not setting out with a goal to sail the world or anything. Just a goal to give this lifestyle a try.

It will primarily be just me. There is my 1st love from 30 years ago, but that's a complicated subject and she will not be free for quite some time. So, a smaller boat to get started and then I can always buy a different one should that become necessary.

Thanks again for the replies.
Pontoonrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 11:18   #9

Boat: J/88

In geographic locations where the boats are winterized and put away, you can get the best deals just before sellers have to invest time and money to do those things.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:21   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think it's a " buyer's" market right now here in Florida and you are likely to find a good deal most anywhere you'd want to look here.
There are countless Florida brokerage firms that have online websites, and I'd start my search there.
Big or small, expect a big bite out of your wallet come time to insure the boat or find a slip for it.
No boat you buy will be perfect, so set aside another chunk of money to fix, repair, replace or modify.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase