Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2013, 18:44   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: What To Do If I Can't Find An Adams 40?

Beneteau firsts are designed for racing and have larger cockpits and less cabins space. I understand you not liking Roberts as one never knows who built it.

Here are a few others to consider in and around your price and size range. But nothing sells on Boat point for the advertised price. Everything is negotiable. and you should easily pick up a boat that is advertised for 120k for the 100k mark.

Used 1980 MOODY 40 SLOOP RIG Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Used 2003 JEANNEAU SUN ODYSSEY 43DS Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Used 1989 BENETEAU 41s5 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Used CAVALIER 39 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Used 2000 BAVARIA 42 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Used 2000 BENETEAU OCEANIS 40CC Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 01:43   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I had a bit of a look with somewhat wider margins. All of these may fit in your budget and are big boats. When I was looking some 6-7 years ago prices were almost double the asking here and no one was negotiating.

I don't think any are stunning sailers but with the full family on board that may be a good thing.

Do read between the lines of the ads.

All would need a thorough inspection followed by a survey if serious.

1990 Oceanic 42. I've walked past one of these numerous times on my way to the "bathroom" and admired the lines each time. Sailed on one in the Whitsundays when I wrangled a crewed charter.

1994 Roberts 44 Offshore. Same design as Boracay. I won't bore you with her faults but a big honest older style steel boat. Straightforward build gives a sturdy hull.

Van De Stadt Custom. I built a small Van de Stadt 6.5m too may years ago an was very impressed by the quality of the design. The teak decks would need very careful checking.

Adams 45 This would be a much better size for a family. If I were considering buying this boat a repower with something like a John Deere 4045DFM (do check if the shaft will take more power!) would be on my wish list. Aft cabin would be great for kids.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 06:16   #18

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Beneteau firsts are designed for racing and have larger cockpits and less cabins space.
80's firsts are also easily sailed and pretty bombproof... But I agree that they are perhaps not an obvious choice for a cruiser. The layout below would work OK for my family I think, I like lots of handholds. And the sailing performance would be nice. And hopefully we'd be spending a bit of time in the cockpit... living and sailing.

I haven't looked at any Moodys - thanks for that. And I'm surprised by the Jeaneau's price. (although they do look like fat bottomed girls which don't go to windward to me )

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 16:40   #19

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOI View Post
80's firsts are also easily sailed and pretty bombproof... But I agree that they are perhaps not an obvious choice for a cruiser. The layout below would work OK for my family I think, I like lots of handholds. And the sailing performance would be nice. And hopefully we'd be spending a bit of time in the cockpit... living and sailing.

I haven't looked at any Moodys - thanks for that. And I'm surprised by the Jeaneau's price. (although they do look like fat bottomed girls which don't go to windward to me )

Mike
No Prob.. You will need to let go a bit of performance for the sake of comfort. Its very hard to do when you have been a racing sailor and making the move to cruising. I share the problem. I want a big fat roomy boat that has everything in it. I also want it to win the americas cup. OH and I want it cheap lol.

The reality is that living on board much more of your time will be spent below compared to racing. You will sail less to windward and wait for conditions to be behind you. Very few cruisers go up the NSW east coast in 20knot nor-easters for instance. They would wait for a nice sou-easter to gently send them up the coast.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:19   #20

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
I want a big fat roomy boat that has everything in it. I also want it to win the americas cup. OH and I want it cheap lol.
Sorted - so when you find the ideal boat, let me know?
(America's cup is a bit beyond me... I'd settle for line honours in a westcoaster, or perhaps a Melbourne - Vanuatu. )

Are you trying to suggest my family won't be spending 16 hours a day on the rail while we punch into 25 knots?
Before we buy anything, I really need to take the family on a week long charter somewhere so I can find out what's important to everyone, not just me. Although I can't imagine a time when I'd ever think that 6 knots was as good as 8.

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 21:58   #21

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

A lot of advertisements are sneaking onto Boatpoint and YachtHub for boats that are located overseas, especially Caribbean... one of the boats listed above are in the Tortolas, for example
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 22:15   #22

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Used Adams 40 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub

Does that tick the boxes?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams