Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 09:36   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: What to do? Power or Sail

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 09:45   #17

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstract.profor View Post
In the process of winding down all affairs on terra firma. Quite frankly had enough now.
Had enough of what, exactly?
What are you trying to avoid or no longer want to deal with, and why do you think living on a boat will be the solution?

Quote:
Go park the thing, and play.
No real interest or desire or fantasy in the aspect of sailing or driving. The aspect of interest is peace and quiet.
Park the thing - where?
Somewhere quiet, where there won't be many other people?
In a marina, where you can leave it in it's slip so you never have to move it?

Quote:
Learning either I suspect would be trivial and rather mundane. As indicated the idea is a floating condo, in fact if one could park a house boat in the Caribbean somewhere with others, that would suffice.
I think this is your answer: no boat - not power, not sail - but a house somewhere quiet near the water, or a houseboat of some sort.
Old 15-01-2016, 09:47   #18

Power boating is easier and the volumn of living space is exponentially greater. That being said, I'd bet a weeks' pay that if you bought that boat in the Seychelles and spent some time there you'd never regret it. There's a retired airline pilot that's been on his houseboat "Stranded naked" at Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas for many years who has done what you're describing.
douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:01   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Power boats are easier to learn and generally roomier. However, if what you really want is a condo on the water you should checkout large houseboats. You still would not be locked in to one location. You could have it towed from one place to another. Still, a houseboat is still a boat and will need some regular maintenance so there will be a learning curve but much less than learning to care for a cruising boat. Good luck with your plans and don't let the purists bust your chops. Their ownership of the blue is strictly in their heads.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:03   #20

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Unless funds are unlimited I think you should seriously consider a land/beach based home. With unlimited funds you can hire the expertise and labor to do what ever you want. I $$ are an issue then power without a doubt. You are looking for square ft. per dollar and an older power boat with big engines can provide a lot of that and you won't run the engines much. It sounds like you want to anchor in the Eastern Caribbean so it won't take much fuel to get positioned.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:11   #21

Boat: 32 Rival

If you have to ask, “power or sail”, then sailing is not for you. I'm 64 and a single hander in a 32 foot blue water sailboat. I've owned a Searay with twin 454's because that's what my girlfriend wanted. I ended up getting rid of the Searay AND the girlfriend, much happier without the noise (from the engines and the girlfriend). Again, if you have to ask................
Grady
gradyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:15   #22

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

It's sounds as though you want neither a sailboat nor a power cruiser but rather a houseboat. You can get maximum space and you need no boating skills if you can afford to pay others to do the minimal maintenance. Then your only problem will be where to dock it that will allow live aboard. Where are you thinking of "parking"?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:19   #23

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:30   #24

@abstract #3

“I am struggling based on this: “

And so you should be :-)! One of the last comments made by the presenter in this video is that he hopes you found it “informative” . Hm... “deceptive” is closer to the mark!

Dead calm day. No set. No drift. “Cadillac” slip with lotsa room to maneuver. No other boat in the slip with sticky-out bits that you can damage or that can damage your own boat. Boat no doubt reliable cos it's been maintained by professionals at vast expense. Well – life on the water just ain't like that! This guy's been doing it for a long time. Dollars to peanuts that if you were to try to emulate him, you'd be asking for help before you even got under sail. Boat-handling is NOT like driving a car regardless of how many gee-gaws you hang on the boat.

If you want a condo, buy a condo. If you you want it overlooking the water, buy a beach-front condo. If you want a condo that actually floats on the water, buy a float house. They are cheap. 200K should do it. The water lot, of course, would be another $600K. These things are all over “Supernatural B.C.” And more going in all the time.

Fortunately, remote locations with not a condo in sight for hundreds of miles are also all over B.C. :-)

If you buy a boat, then let it be because you love the seafaring life, not cos you're fed up with the land.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:45   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I encourage you to get a sailboat. As you said, getting there is most of the fun. Its hard to explain how wonderful it is to set the sails, turn off the engine, and its quiet. Just the sound of the waves on the hull as you surge towards your destination. Your fuel lasts a very long time on a sailboat.

There are a few questions you should consider before making your decision. Who will be sailing with you?...alone? What sorts of places do you want to visit...deserted islands, or plush marinas? How often and how far will you be moving the boat?

I think you can learn from other peoples adventures by searching youtube.
Some of my favorites are:

https://www.youtube.com/c/mondaynever

and

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZd...jIzFnWsDQOv4ww
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:24   #26

It's not clear to me this OP actually wants to go anywhere - it sounds like he should get a houseboat - maybe even one with a blown engine - as long as he can put it somewhere he likes.

Sailors do not feel that sailing is "mundane" or "trivial" at all, so we know sailboats are out.
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:39   #27

Boat: Scout 30

I agree that a houseboat makes the most sense but it would have to be shipped to the Caribbean. I think something like a big Hatteras makes the most sense. Just hire a captain when you want to move it. I actually read recently about a company that has a no engine option on one of their yachts. It's made to just sit at a marina & you tow it if you need to move. Coincidentally, Off Center Harbor is currently running a houseboat design competition. I think a lot of people are realizing that boats might just be the best way to live on the water.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:50   #28

Hey thanks everyone. Yes I think it is quite clear I do not know what I want exactly. I think it is the idea at this stage, but as with everything something anything needs to begin from somewhere?

This is what I am looking at :

2013 Leopard 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That speaks to me. The PC version is of course the same. It is that aft section without clutter that for some reason stands out for me compared to any other. I liken it to Bora Bora. I am enamored with waking up, leaping off the deck into the ocean:

Bora Bora Resorts | Bora Bora Vacations | Four Seasons Resort

This is what I seek.

To put it bluntly, I already have a beach house, that happens to be on an island that requires a ro-ro to get it. That novelty has long worn off. Small population / community, where you are obligated to nod and grin and tip your hat good morning ma'am even when you don't feel like it. Thus a marina is out of the question. ZERO interest in living on top of one another, likewise even that fancy 4 seasons in Bora Bora is too cluttered for my liking.

Seeking solitude in luxury. I don't see any reason why one cannot outfit a vessel with all luxuries and food stuffs, park it in the middle of no where and relax?

House boat is interesting but I cannot see it being viable in the Caribbean seas. This excites me:

http://www.talkgreen.ca/wp-content/u...3110850519.jpg

An electric boat for some reason does more than sail or combustion. I do think one needs to be motivated. For some reason this new technology motivates me thoroughly. Conversely, as a youth did land sailing, did wind surfing, and was never enthralled. Just never cottoned on. For sure it is a religion to some. It is just not there for me for some reason. What I can say is that give me a simulator and I am confident I could go anywhere. I am well attuned to sailing having sponsored and monitored in one way or another the likes of the youngsters Sunderland and his sister and Dekker and her endeavors. So to me setting sail wouldn't be a catastrophe. In the same vein I have been on container carriers plying the Atlantic from the Americas to Africa, crossed the equator a number of times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Maybe I am scared?

I mean how bad can sailing or learning to sail actually be?

I think the correct course of action is to actually try it. Charter a vessel and a Captain in the Caribbean for a week or two and give it a go. Try before you buy if you well.

Let me think....
abstract.profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:53   #29

This is what I am ideally after:

https://www.google.com/search?q=floa...iw=911&bih=382

I view a motor or sail boat to be that with the added benefit of being able to move hence my originally query; what's the easiest of the two.

Someone could make a small fortune of they could float and park these somewhere isolated in the Caribbean and either sold or rented them.

How ideal would that be?
abstract.profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:56   #30

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

Maybe I am scared?

I mean how bad can sailing or learning to sail actually be?

I think the correct course of action is to actually try it. Charter a vessel and a Captain in the Caribbean for a week or two and give it a go. Try before you buy if you well.

Let me think....

That is the most sane thing you could do at this point

Some people love it, others hate it. You may find that the simple act of going nowhere in particular without sound is enthralling.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail