Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 06:48   #16

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
Re: what to put on seacock hose to ensure easy removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
A radiator hose pick will help you loosen the hose.
To get the hose off: I've seen a tool that looks like a long/large wine bottle opener. Is this it?

To get the hose on: what i've done is heat up the kettle and stick the end of the hose in for a minute and then slip it on. As it cools it takes the shape. (by the way, one can do something similar to make those leather shoes fit, only hold the shoe above a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, and then wear.)

I didn't know about the KY/sex jelly. Can we apply it to the hose when it is hot? (don't get funny on me now)
Old 02-11-2017, 07:15   #17

Boat: Hylas 49

No, one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4521-Hose.../dp/B0050SFZBG
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23   #18

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:56   #19

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I've always been afraid of using a 'hose removal tool' for fear of ripping up my reinforced vinyl hoses, since they're designed for heavy-duty auto radiator hoses. I've found great success using a small heat gun normally used for heating shrink wrap / connectors. Of course, you can only use one when connected to AC current at the dock. Twenty seconds of heat and a good tug, and off it comes. Hose is still relatively cool, so I don't even need gloves to touch it. I'm also really afraid of putting any materials between the hose barb and hose. I'd much rather chance having to cut a hose than having one slip off mid-cruise!

As far as "personal lubricants", I use this when re-installing engine impellers - safe for all plastics, lubricates well, and washes away cleanly.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:59   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I consider a hose that is hard to remove from a seacock as a good thing. I just use a small straight screwdriver to pri a bit around the hose till I can twist is back and forth.

BTW most new car radiators have plastic caps and connections on the radiators now a days. FAR better to just cut the old hose off of a car radiator. Trying to pri the hose loose will tend to break the %^&*( hose connector off the radiator. (Don't ask me how I know... Chants were said.... Lots and lots of chants...)
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 19:39   #21
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42
Thumbs up Re: what to put on seacock hose to ensure easy removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Like in the move, "No wire hangers, ever". "No silicon sealant, ever" on a boat." Some old timers will know what I'm talking about.
Anyway, I use KY jelly or similar sex grease, to mount all water hoses on my boats, including potable water. It is water soluble and very sterile, of course, just think about other uses for this product. Seepages from over-zealous applications wash right off from the water flow inside the fitting and wipe off with a damp rag on the outside. Believe me this works great and I have tried every other lubricant (on boats) known to man over the last fifty years. There is always a tube of it I'm my tool box, you never know when it might come in handy.

hahaha....very handy.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 16:39   #22

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:

Exactly what I used to remove 15 year old drain hoses. Before using I carefully heated the hose up with a heat gun. The hoses were originally smeared with waterproof grease before assembly.

I was skeptical of the hose tool but surprisingly it worked well. But you do need to be careful with it that you do not puncture the hose

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo'orea
Old 16-10-2020, 20:36   #23

Boat: Island Packet 29

I know this is an old thread from the dead, but Im surprised at all the terrible advice in here.

Remove the old hose. Replace and use a little silicon grease inside the hose. Do NOT use petro based grease.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal