Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 17:16   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I believe the only boats that Holland America have are lifeboats and their color is "international orange". Their ships are another matter.
Yeah, their tenders/lifeboats' are orange and white, with some having a blue stripe. HA ships are ubiquitous in Southeast Alaska during the season. Two of their Dam ships were in Juneau last time I was there (July 2010). There were 5-6 cruise ships there, so the Princess ship had to anchor out. A couple of its tenders (orange striped) are to the left at the wharf. ... Wave to the Coasties!
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 17:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
To illustrate, before my last paint job, I played with an all white paint scheme versus the original blue hull.

This was the visual difference, so I stayed with the original.
I approve of your choice. Besides, the blue hull matches the sails' color scheme.
Old 04-09-2010, 18:52   #18

Boat: Stevens 47
my boat is royal blue with a federal yellow cove stripe and white deck and it looks awesome!
I did not find heat to be a problem at all in that my boat wasn't any hotter than other (white) boats I visited while in the tropics. My boat with that color scheme turned heads and I got LOADS of comments on how pretty she looks.

Michael
Old 04-09-2010, 19:38   #19

I'm still favoring the scheme of this sister ship:

Old 04-09-2010, 20:52   #20

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I am of the go-with-whatever-floats-your-boat club. White or cream coloured hulls generally look nice and is pretty good at saying, here I am, to another vessel, day or night, rain or shine. Adding a black stripe along your rubbing plates gives a distinctive look and covers up any scuffing from being at dock. Adding yellow-buff upper works and masts is pleasing in a sort of pre-1914 fashion (as used on warships on tropical station). Red hulls are certainly distinctive in a harbour, but often at sea are hard to see at night--still if you like the look of the Nantucket light ship, then go for it.

I would not recommend pink though, even though it was the colour of Henry J Kaiser's yacht, as the human eye does not see it all that well. In fact studies during WW2 concluded that pink was one of the most difficult colours to see under certain lighting conditions--particularly around dawn and dusk--leading the USN to paint its sub's periscope standards a light pink. The 8th Army's Long Range Desert Patrol came to the same conclusion and painted its vehicles in North Africa pink as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 21:20   #21

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
I have a friend working on a pearl coat for me. Testing it to see if we can get something that will stand up to the marine environment.
Old 04-09-2010, 21:44   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
If you are going off shore you need to consider whether you want to be better seen under adverse conditions.

As related in the introduciton to Tony Farrington's 'Rescue in the Pacific' one of the gripes that rescue folks had was boats whose color scheme blended with the water and spray.

I will be opting for yellow on the next boat as the best combination of visibility and lightness under a tropical sun. Trim will be blue so it doesn't look like on of Ernie on Sesame Street's rubber ducky.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 23:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
... I would not recommend pink though, even though ...
... it's the color of your blouse?
Old 04-09-2010, 23:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
If you are going off shore you need to consider whether you want to be better seen under adverse conditions.

I will be opting for yellow on the next boat as the best combination of visibility and lightness under a tropical sun. Trim will be blue so it doesn't look like on of Ernie on Sesame Street's rubber ducky.
The Coot is made of steel, so hopefully the rescuer will have radar. ... Looking forward to seeing a picture of your next boat.
Old 04-09-2010, 23:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
I have a friend working on a pearl coat for me. Testing it to see if we can get something that will stand up to the marine environment.
And such a surface wouldn't be as reflective (hard on the eyes) as white. Got to think about something off-white.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:53   #26

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post

- - The actual main reason for all the white boats is it is the cheapest color to make gelcoat.
While I don't doubt that white may be cheaper, so many sailing yachts before the time of gelcoat and after have been painted white without cost consideraton. Lots of people just choosing white.

I love dark blue hulls. I wouldn't choose it for my boat, but it sure is handsome... IMHO.

I've had tons of compliments on my white hull-blue trim boat. So "boring" just seems to be... opinion.

That's the bottom line for a thread like this. If ever there was a thread asking for opinion, this has got to be it... in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:53   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The Coot is made of steel, so hopefully the rescuer will have radar. ... Looking forward to seeing a picture of your next boat.
Unfortunately we will both have a long wait. Due to economy and the arrival of a couple of crumbcatchers, 3yr or so is a good estimate.
Adelie
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:45   #28

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I love a dark blue hull...wouldn't want to actually OWN one but I do appreciate it from afar.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:16   #29

Boat: Ohlson 38
In my previous life as a house painter I came to loathe boring paint jobs so I'm thinking of painting the topsides of my Westsail 28 in faux wood plank. Never heard of anyone doing it but if done well could be unique and beautiful.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 15:08   #30

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
In my previous life as a house painter I came to loathe boring paint jobs so I'm thinking of painting the topsides of my Westsail 28 in faux wood plank. Never heard of anyone doing it but if done well could be unique and beautiful.
I would like to hear how that color turns out. It sounds good to me. I was thinking of using faux wood paint on the inside because everything looks like white plastic on the interior of so many boats.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote