Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 08:27   #16

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: When Use Tax paid buying boat california

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Actually, what you pay at time of purchase is "use tax" to the state at DMV or to BOE at same rate as "sales tax", almost 10%. The owner on Jan.1 of a boat in Calif. is liable for property tax to the county at rate of about 1% annually.
When my boat was assessed at $10,000 more then I paid I was told that they used the NADA value, not reality.
I looked up NADA value for my boat yesterday. It was $29,000. to $34,000. based on the optional equipment listed. Los Angeles is listing the value on the tax bill as $48,000. This seems like gouging to me. I will contest it. The difference comes out to about $250. more or less. That pays for a few new dock lines or other needed things. The only problem is they are in control of the whole procedure and make all the decisions.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:30   #17

If you pay use tax to the DMV, make sure you keep all the receipts. The BOE waited a couple of years, then demanded that I prove I paid use tax. I had a job finding proof, but did eventually. The crooked thing about this is that in this respect, the DMV is an agent acting on behalf of the BOE, but BOE pretends not to know what the other hand has done.

NB, It would really help if everyone could stop referring to their yearly property tax as use tax, as that is just adding to the confuseage.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:16   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Let's get this straight because some of you still seem confused.

Use taxes are paid once, and in California, must be paid within months of purchase.

Property taxes on boats, as well as public marina berths, are paid annually in California. Taxes for the following tax year (July-June) are assessed as of January 1 and the owner is liable even if he sells the boat subsequently.
Old 06-06-2017, 16:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
What in post #4 doesn't answer your question?
thank you. your reply was detailed and articulate but did not clearly state that use fees were collected once at time of sale or annually. Reference to post #4. Appreciate your input and taking time to share your knowledge and experience. Respectfully.
timoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 16:25   #20

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for clarifying difference between one time "use fee" and recurring annual "property tax" assessment. Really appreciate your shared experience. Timo
timoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 20:12   #21

Ya, property tax, includes tax for schools and water for LA county.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 21:38   #22

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I got so sick of fighting with the CA Franchise Tax Board that I got divorced and left the state and sold all my assets. The bloodsuckers went after me but I vanished into to vast outer world. The only problem I have is no bank account, no visible means of support, no DL or passport, pay cash for everything, no CC's, burned my SS card, all is good. When asked for ID, I just laugh! Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 21:05   #23
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
Just got my use tax bill in the mail Saturday. L.A. is billing me for a value of $48,000.
I only paid $27,900. and have bill of sale notarized. Sales tax paid on sale price of $27,900. to tax board a couple of months ago with no problems. I checked boat values and came in for $29,000. to $34,000. for my boat. I'll contest the value and try to get it reduced. Dealing with Los Angeles bureaucrats The boat was beat pretty bad when I picked it up. I don't think it gained 20 grand in value for the little work I've done.
same here. i paid $15,000, insurance company said its worth $26,000 and insured it for that amount. L.A. is billing me for $36,000. WTF? No wonder everyone hates politicians and tax collectors. douchbags..
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:19   #24

When Use Tax paid buying boat california

These taxes go to cover the loss of bad investments for CA government employees' retirement benefit. Same as our new gas tax.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, cal, california