Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 06:09   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
wher to find rudder gap guard

I'm not sure if they have a specific name, but I'm interested in installing a guard for the gap between my spade rudder and the hull. I've seen them on boats with spade rudders as well as partial skeg rudders. Usually they are a metal triangle with a baseplate attached to the hull. Are these all custom fabricated, or is there a company that manufactures and sells them? How are they normally attached? 5200?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:01   #2

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: wher to find rudder gap guard

Mine is "Custom". It is a short length of scrap 3/4" SS rod Welded to the existing SS rudder gudgeon.
If the gudgeon had not been there,I would have made a SS plate from SS bar stock & bolted it thru the hull bottom using 3m 4200(5200 is too permanant.
Then weld the SS rod to it. Rod is strong & smoothe in all directions,but you could use bar or angle if you wish.
Cheers/Len

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Rope stop.jpg Views: 168 Size: 425.1 KB ID: 235851" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 04-04-2021, 08:29   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I thought about that for my last boat (Chesapeake waters are infested with crab pots).

I'd make it out of pre-lamainted FRP if it were me, and then just epoxy it on. The trick would be to get it CLOSE, because some of the lines are small, and once you boat stops (because the guard will keep it out of the gap but will not slide it off) it will rock up and down, and the line might sneak in anyway. If it is spade rudder with counter balance, this may be impossible.

Now that I think of it, that is why I gave up. Too rare a problem, and on my boat, not that hard to cut it free if need be.

But go for it. It sounds like it suits your situation.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:32   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm not sure if they have a specific name, but I'm interested in installing a guard for the gap between my spade rudder and the hull. I've seen them on boats with spade rudders as well as partial skeg rudders. Usually they are a metal triangle with a baseplate attached to the hull. Are these all custom fabricated, or is there a company that manufactures and sells them? How are they normally attached? 5200?
It would be beneficial if you included a photo of your rudder. These things are not an item stocked on the shelf.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:33   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Sea kayak weed guards look like this. Different purpose.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
These things are not an item stocked on the shelf.
Yeah, that was sort of my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'd make it out of pre-lamainted FRP if it were me, and then just epoxy it on. The trick would be to get it CLOSE, because some of the lines are small, and once you boat stops (because the guard will keep it out of the gap but will not slide it off) it will rock up and down, and the line might sneak in anyway. If it is spade rudder with counter balance, this may be impossible.
That's a good point. Do they even work? It seems like they would prevent a line from getting in that gap, if they are well fit to the leading edge of the rudder, but if the line slips down to the bottom of the guard, it could just slide up behind the guard, especially if the rudder is turned. I'll have to think about this some more.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:35   #7

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

All Sabres come with these factory installed rods. They are about 5/16" in diameter and maybe 3 inches long, bronze set in the skeg just ahead of the rudder. Sabres were built in Maine, they know lobster pots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	235861  
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:10   #8

Yeah, being in New England, and planning to sail Maine, that is my big fear. I think I will talk to the boatyard and see if they've fabricated these before, and what they suggest.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:31   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Do they even work? It seems like they would prevent a line from getting in that gap, if they are well fit to the leading edge of the rudder, but if the line slips down to the bottom of the guard, it could just slide up behind the guard, especially if the rudder is turned. I'll have to think about this some more.

They work most of the time, but as you suspected, if you do a late turn to try to avoid a pot then you could catch the line. (we've done it ). Don't know how much rudder under AP (under sail) would be too much to do something similar.

Would also think the guard should be closer to the rudder than further away other wise the float may have time to lift it back into the "slot".

When we redid our rudder, the NA we were discussing the project thought the guard would disrupt the water flow over the rudder foil and the guard was more of a hindrance than a help. Can't disagree with that thought and relative amount of flow disruption would depend on how much rudder is open (not behind the skeg).
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:43   #10

I don't have a great picture close up of the leading edge gap, but here is a picture of the rudder. It is a tall high aspect spade, probably at least 6ft tall. I suppose, to be fair, a line would have to get past the deep wing fin keel and then past the prop and line cutter to get stuck on the rudder.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20201113_141107180.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	235863  
Old 04-04-2021, 11:44   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Mine is just a short piece of stainless steel bar screwed to the half skeg to cover the gap. Never been tested (that I am aware of...) but worth a try.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:53   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Mine is "Custom". It is a short length of scrap 3/4" SS rod Welded to the existing SS rudder gudgeon.
If the gudgeon had not been there,I would have made a SS plate from SS bar stock & bolted it thru the hull bottom using 3m 4200(5200 is too permanant.
Then weld the SS rod to it. Rod is strong & smoothe in all directions,but you could use bar or angle if you wish.
Cheers/Len

Attachment 235851

Mine has worked well since 2007. The first year I had the boat I was caught in Floating mooring pendants 3 times & pot warp once.
No trouble since. Cheers/ Len
Old 04-04-2021, 14:49   #13

Sounds great, thanks!

Tags
rudder