Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 23:31   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Where are the explorers?

Millions of dollars are spent every year on boats , most them are made in plastic and a big portion of them are catamarans with dangerous , unseaworthy layout , thousands of people joining sailing just for the status of it and cruising from marina to marina , motoring .
Boats hard to manoeuvre under sail or even unmaneuverable in case of some catamarans .
Builders and designers follow this trend making lower quality boats that just look nice , but they are not capable to safely carry the crew on a tough situation but this is not what it worries me .
What is worying me is , why nobody is exploring ? Most of boats are sailing in the tropics following the route from gib to Caribbean and all around but only a few visit more exotic and remote places , o my a few going to a country just to explore its culture and lifestyle if there is no marina , and far more fewer going to not well charted waters.

Why this is happening ? I see people with the right budget and a good boat and skill but they never go out of the comfort sailing zone and it really bothers.me .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 23:37   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Where are the explorers?

Why does it bother you how others sail? Have you explored many not well charted areas?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 23:48   #3

Everybody sails the way he likes and enjoy ,the question is why almost nobody goes further ??
There are so.many nice places that look unknown to the most of the cruising world .

To answer your question yes I do , and once I am back on my boat I am gonna continue to do so .
Old 28-07-2018, 23:54   #4

Boat: TBD

Shouldn't an explorer be happy that most people stick to their comfort zone ?
It leaves more room for them to explore pristine and unspoiled places.

With almost 8 billions people on the planet and as someone who loves going off the tracks, I'm thankful that there are still 'remote' places where you can get a feeling of exploration.

This won't be true for long thought.
Bob Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 00:03   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

They are exploring (many of them with a catamaran) instead of whining in the internet about other peoples boats and habits

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 02:50   #6

Boat: Endeavour 40CC

I consider myself an "explorer" but there are different types. I myself enjoy going to ports and cities to see things and "explore". I like history and older towns and cities. Each person enjoys their own type of "exploring".
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 03:11   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post

Why this is happening ? I see people with the right budget and a good boat and skill but they never go out of the comfort sailing zone and it really bothers.me .
How do you know no one is exploring and why does it matter to you? But in general people go where they what to go and whatever it is you consider exploring doesn't have to be the same as what they consider exploring.
Old 29-07-2018, 04:35   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 47

There would be no explorers if everybody did it. The reason people are sticking to those tried and true routes is that other explorers found them and made them accessible to others.
If you want others to go to these remote and exotic places then go explore them yourself and write about them. Start businesses that cater to cruisers and make those places more accessible. Then the true explorers can go on to other places.
It is how the world works. The fact that this bothers you says more about you then about other cruisers, I suspect. [emoji3]
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 05:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
There would be no explorers if everybody did it. The reason people are sticking to those tried and true routes is that other explorers found them and made them accessible to others.
If you want others to go to these remote and exotic places then go explore them yourself and write about them. Start businesses that cater to cruisers and make those places more accessible. Then the true explorers can go on to other places.
It is how the world works. The fact that this bothers you says more about you then about other cruisers, I suspect. [emoji3]

you are the third person who make this personal so i wonder what could this say about me as you state?
Old 29-07-2018, 05:09   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Morane View Post
Shouldn't an explorer be happy that most people stick to their comfort zone ?
It leaves more room for them to explore pristine and unspoiled places.

With almost 8 billions people on the planet and as someone who loves going off the tracks, I'm thankful that there are still 'remote' places where you can get a feeling of exploration.

This won't be true for long thought.
This. Nothing ruins a place faster than Palagi tourists. Except missionaries.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 05:13   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
you are the third person who make this personal so i wonder what could this say about me as you state?
So you who makes it "Personal" against thousands of people joining sailing just for the status of it" (your words) blah blah blah,,, can criticise whomever you want including groups as a whole? Criticise most catamarans and claim unseaworthyness (criticising catamaran designers, builders, and the people buying them), get your pan"tie$ in a wad when you feel it comes back on You?
I suggest a new sport for you, one where your feelings won't be bothered by what others decide to do,
Tiddlywinks maybe? Since trolling on a forum seems to bother you as well.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 05:13   #12

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
Millions of dollars are spent every year on boats , most them are made in plastic and a big portion of them are catamarans with dangerous , unseaworthy layout .

I quit reading right there [emoji1312]
Old 29-07-2018, 05:16   #13

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Don't feed the trolls. Just sayin'
Old 29-07-2018, 05:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
So you who makes it "Personal" against thousands of people joining sailing just for the status of it" (your words) blah blah blah,,, can criticise whomever you want including groups as a whole? Criticise most catamarans and claim unseaworthyness (criticising catamaran designers, builders, and the people buying them), get your pan"tie$ in a wad when you feel it comes back on You?
I suggest a new sport for you, one where your feelings won't be bothered by what others decide to do,
Tiddlywinks maybe? Since trolling on a forum seems to bother you as well.

Excuse me if my words sound offending maybe i didn't express what i mean correctly .
What i mean is that a lot of builders base their boats layout on the perspective that they will never face bad weather , because their market prefer sitting in a marina , i dont have something personal either with this style of boats or the owners.
When i am talking for unseaworthy Cats my mind is focused on the designs that they have the steering wheel on a high point , or designs you need to walk on high on the bimini roof to tie down the main , the same problems tends to happen wit newer mono hulls.
I don't say that there are no good catamarans .

About the "thousand of dollars spent " is a genuine question , why do people buy all this gear if they never going out???
I am not trying to offend or troll anybody i just wonder why most of those who have the capacity (skills , budget , boat ) are not going out and explore remote places .

P.S : I am sorry if someone got offended .
There are some people here who gave genuine answer and thankful for it,
Old 29-07-2018, 05:30   #15

Boat: Nordhavn 47

The same reason that we all are not astronauts. Some people like seeing familiar places and visiting with friends and family easily. It is a choice of cruising that is just as satisfying as exploring remote and dangerous places.
Boat builders build boats for those people. The fact that they do not satisfy the requirements of the explorers do not make them bad boats just not the boats that an explorer might want to purchase.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote