Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 06:39   #1

Where do newbie landlubber Qs go?

I've been a long time lurker and only recently registered and I have a bunch of newbie Qs from cost of having a boat sailed down from the West Indies to Asia and also the pragmatism of buying such a boat etc.

Cheers!
Strykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 15:24   #2

Re: Where do newbie landlubber Qs go?

Hello Strykar and welcome to the forum :-)

I think you'll get more replies and better counsel if you ask quite specific questions about topics you would like to know about.

For example: "Would a 32 Foot double ended gaff rigged ketch be big enuff for man and maid with 4 kids and 2 Labrador dogs to cross from Palm Beach to Las Palmas?"

Questions phrased in that vein usually get more answers than you'll know what to do with.

So let's 'ave 'em :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 16:53   #3

Hi Trente, and thank you! The subtopic said Forum Tech Support & Site Help and I wasn't sure so here goes.

Assuming a 32-36 foot Pearson ketch which I found with a seized engine in Grenada which triggered this..
1. How much would surveying it before purchase cost in the US?
2. How would would it cost to have a crew sail it down to Asia (Vietnam/India)?
3. Would it be possible to sail/tow it (delivery) if the motor is broken, or would shipping it in a container be more prudent?

Where can I start reading to get a sense of pre-owned boat selling prices, dock/marina and maintainence costs?
Strykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 17:34   #4

Yes, that phrasing works ;-0)!

1) About a thousand bux if done by a competent surveyor who takes the time and the care to make the survey report worth the paper its written on. Now, a Person 36 this side of the water you can often pick up for 30 grand ready to go. With a duff engyne, whether it's the Atomic 4 the v.1 came with or the Yanmar the v.2 came with, you should be able to pick one up for 12 or 15 grand. To reengine with a 30HP Beta here on the Wet Coast would cost about US$9K for the iron and another 6K for the re'n're unless you can do it yourself.

So why would you want a "pre-purchase survey"? Learn to do it yourself! That is free and gratis, and teaches you LOTS that you inevitably have to learn anyway. "Boatpoker", a professional surveyor and one of our members, has a very good article here on the forum on how to do it. An insurance survey is something else cos you won't GET insurance unless you have an "insurance survey" from a recognized surveyor.

This message went off prematurely, and I am being called, so stand by! I will get back to you at the first opportunity, though that might be 15 hours from now. Hang in there!

TP
Old 27-07-2020, 08:50   #5

Stryker:

To pick up where I had to leave off:

Transit from Grenada to South Asia: Of course a boat can be sailed that distance by a competent crew. After all, there is water all the way. But I've no idea what that would cost. Or what competent crew would want to do it. A crew competent to do that voyage, particularly in a boat with a duff engine, must be presumed to be doing such things already, in their own well-found boats, and to have no interest in doing it in yours. Crews that might have an interest in doing it in yours must be presumed not to have the knowledge/competence to do it safely! Having said that, we on this forum, have a number of professional delivery captains. They might chime in and give you a rough idea of whether such an engagement would appeal to them. But why would you contemplate such a thing? Boats that are functionally equivalent to the P36 are for sale all over the world. Boats that are functionally equivalent to the P36 are, in my opinion, to be considered a commodity. Not to put too fine a point on it: "Seen one, you seen 'em all", As for interior arrangements and creature comforts: Don't worry about it. You are a sailor. Your body will accommodate to what the boat has to offer.

Buying a cheapie in Grenada and paying the cost of getting 'er to South Asia will necessarily be more costly than buying a well found boat "close to home". Even if home is rather off the beaten path.

You CANNOT tow a 36 foot boat safely in the open ocean, and you cannot safely tow a 36 foot boat ANYWHERE, however flat the water, at greater than her "hull speed" of, say, 8 knots. Or even close to that! Containerizing the beast requires de-rigging 'er. Do you know what's involved in de-rigging before containerizing and re-rigging at the destination?

Now, don't get cross with me - I am NOT belittling you dream at all. I'm trying to give you some intellectual ballast to make you better able to make it come true! The way you ask your questions implies that you need to think far more about your own education as a seafarer than about the various boats you may see offered for sale. Successful voyages are the result of a successful pairing of a competent vessel with a competent skipper. Competent vessels can be bought any day, anywhere in the world, provided your pockets have adequate depth. Competence in a novice seafarer takes YEARS to build, and most of the learning required is BOOK LARNIN'. That is why we have Marine Academies for those who go to sea for a living.

So your last question, "Where can I start reading to get a sense of pre-owned boat selling prices, dock/marina and maintainence costs?," is really by far the most important one of the ones you ask. And the answer is quite simple: "Right here!" Right here on HolyMotherNet. Google up "Pearson 36 for sale" and take it from there. Develop a spreadsheet of what's offered for sale.

As for annual maintenance costs: They vary widely depending on where you are, and on how much of the unceasing work you have the skills and the tools to do yourself, but right here, on this 'ere forum, people will tell you if you ask well formulated, specific questions so they have something to get their teeth into :-) TrentePieds, a five-tonner, employed in the gentlest of coastwise cruising in absolutely benign waters, and already in good nick, requires about Can$10K per year just for the basics. Upgrades, if any were required, would be in addition to that. Fitting out for a major oceanic voyage would require about Can$50K. For comparison: A FastPassage39 with oceanic experience, fully found, and just rarin' to go again, sold in our marina a year ago for Can$60K. So why bother to "upgrade" TrentePieds? The FP39 is a FAR superior vessel!

But don't stop here. There are many , many sites on the net where you can learn the things you yet need to learn about skippering. For ideas about what, in the opinion of some, makes a good cruising boat, google up "Kasten Marine". Your education has only just begun :-)

Good luck to you, and all the best

TrentePieds
Old 27-07-2020, 10:13   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Hello Strykar and welcome to the forum :-)

I think you'll get more replies and better counsel if you ask quite specific questions about topics you would like to know about.

For example: "Would a 32 Foot double ended gaff rigged ketch be big enuff for man and maid with 4 kids and 2 Labrador dogs to cross from Palm Beach to Las Palmas?"

Questions phrased in that vein usually get more answers than you'll know what to do with.

So let's 'ave 'em :-)!

TrentePieds
Here's your link to Boatpoker's presurvey Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection A good resource to keep (which I did)
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 10:23   #7

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykar View Post
I've been a long time lurker and only recently registered and I have a bunch of newbie Qs from cost of having a boat sailed down from the West Indies to Asia and also the pragmatism of buying such a boat etc.

Cheers!
Just find one you like already in Asia, The PI is well known for great deals on boats that have crossed the Pacific and their owners just don't want to go any further or bash it back home. Grenada to anywhere in Asia is a long haul and could well cost more than you paid for the boat in the first place.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 10:39   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva Espańa
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykar View Post
Hi Trente, and thank you! The subtopic said Forum Tech Support & Site Help and I wasn't sure so here goes.

Assuming a 32-36 foot Pearson ketch which I found with a seized engine in Grenada which triggered this..
1. How much would surveying it before purchase cost in the US?
2. How would would it cost to have a crew sail it down to Asia (Vietnam/India)?
3. Would it be possible to sail/tow it (delivery) if the motor is broken, or would shipping it in a container be more prudent?

Where can I start reading to get a sense of pre-owned boat selling prices, dock/marina and maintainence costs?
Welcome.

I moved this thread to the General Sailing sub-forum.

1. $1-2k
2. $10-20k and they would insist that the motor be fixed prior.
3. $40-60k. It's too big to go in a container, it would have to go on a Dockwise or similar vessel. It might be able to go as deck cargo on any number of vessels, you or an agent would need to build a cradle.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote