Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 08:36   #16

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards
Re: Where do you buy Stugeron?

cannot find it i France, had to get it in the UK: easy-peasy, over the counter

and now i know why...

i find that this stuff does the trick but completely wipes me out (zombie alert!). so much that, even when i cut the pills i had into tiny bits (do not recall how many grams i had initially, so...), i'd still struggle with speaking with any clarity and was totally useless crew as well.

wonder how many others have experienced similar responses to it, and how many of these are females my age (mid-fifties)...

wolfgal
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:07   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
cannot find it i France, had to get it in the UK: easy-peasy, over the counter

and now i know why...

i find that this stuff does the trick but completely wipes me out (zombie alert!). so much that, even when i cut the pills i had into tiny bits (do not recall how many grams i had initially, so...), i'd still struggle with speaking with any clarity and was totally useless crew as well.

wonder how many others have experienced similar responses to it, and how many of these are females my age (mid-fifties)...

wolfgal
Not all tablets are manufactured to be split as the active ingredient is not evenly disbursed.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:28   #18

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Not all tablets are manufactured to be split as the active ingredient is not evenly disbursed.
holy zombies! that's good to know! thanks!!!

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:10   #19

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I think some tablets are coated for various reasons including to avoid stomache upset and for timed release. I suspect the active ingredients are evenly distributed within the tablet interior. If you split uncoated tablets, I don’t think there is a dosage difference as long as each split part is the same size/weight. You kinda defeat the purpose of the coating if you split coated tablets.

Now, of course if you split a sturgeon. you will see lots of differences between the parts. Very rare to find, let’s say eyeballs, towards the tail end
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:17   #20

Boat: Adams 45

My wife's cousin was VP for Quality Control at a pharmaceutical manufacturer. He said that a tablet meant to be split has a score line on it. In that case, the product was guaranteed to have the expected dose in each portion. A tablet without a score line was never inspected for uniformity, only for the prescribed total dose. He strongly recommended only splitting scored tablets.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:49   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
My wife's cousin was VP for Quality Control at a pharmaceutical manufacturer. He said that a tablet meant to be split has a score line on it. In that case, the product was guaranteed to have the expected dose in each portion. A tablet without a score line was never inspected for uniformity, only for the prescribed total dose. He strongly recommended only splitting scored tablets.
There was a small pharmaceutical company in Brisbane, Australia, about 20 years back that was selling - amongst other things - a motion sickness tablet.
Never mind uneven spread within the individual tablet, they had uneven spread of the active ingredient through out the whole brew. A dozen or more tabs would be totally free of the magic bit, whoever copped the one that did have it would be right out of their tree and maybe in hospital.
The company was shut down by the regulator.
The name - Travacalm - seems to have been picked up by someone else.
https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release...ckness-tablets
https://www.tga.gov.au/pan-pharmaceu...mers-retailers

Stick with the 15mg Stugeron is my advice.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:07   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNagambie View Post
I was fortunate enough to have a friend give me some stugeron, and it was magical: far better for me than the patch.

Sadly, I live in Canada and can’t buy it here.

Where do you usually get it? I asked in France, Portugal and Spain with no luck.
Stugeron Tablet Cinnarizine, not available in the US or Canada, is mainly marketed elsewhere as a H1 antihistamine. It, like betahistine, was originally developed by Janssen Pharmaceutica.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 23:43   #23

Boat: Phantom 32

Can't get it in Oz. Not because it's dangerous but because our small population and over the top Drug compliance etc make it un economic. I get it in Singapore. Any chemist.
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:47   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

If you are in Canada you can use a UK online pharmacy and have them mailed to you.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:59   #25

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

My wife used to get it online from NZ.

FWIW, any antihistamine will work. NASA has done a lot of work on this as, apparently, motion sickness is even worse in space. They found that promethazine was the most effective. The downside is that it, like all first generation antihistamines, it is very sedating so they combine it with caffeine.

A word about scopolamine. Some people suffer from "scopolamine withdrawal syndrome" after using the patch. Usually starting within a couple of days of removing the patch people can experience severe nausea, headache, blurred vision and dizziness. This can last for weeks so if you have not used the patch before, it may be worth a trial before you go offshore.

I usually recommend promethazine with coffee for my patients. One advantage, depending how you look at it, is that you can get it in suppository form so it can be used even if you can't keep anything down.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:30   #26

Boat: Vancouver 27'

LOL, I read sturgeon, not stugeron also!

It's over the counter here in Portugal, so I would assume the same all over Europe.

Man I would love some sturgeon. Fish and game no longer stocks them in Oregon. they are tightly monitored. In my grandfather time they were so large they were drug from the water with horse teams. Guess we screwed that up.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 04:48   #27

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

I have used Stugeron for years and given it to many crew and it is the best pill.
Effective and not sedating at the proper dose of 15 mg night before departure and then every 6 to 8 hours as needed. I like Scopolamine patch behind the ear better for me for longer 3 plus day cruise but going out for a day Stugeron is the bomb. I get it mail order from "Canada Drugs Direct" mail order and over the counter no Rx needed. Side effects minimal. The Neal's swear by it, ( Mahina).
Bill, MD
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:37   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Bill,
Did you hage to send them a prescription?
I seem to be stuck at that stage.
Trying to talk to my Dr. Is a royal pain.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:38   #29

Boat: Morgan Giles 30

A tip I was given for taking Stugeron was to place the pill under my tongue and let it dissolve. That way its effect entered the body system quicker whilst not upsetting the stomach or any such side effect issues.
PSC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:43   #30

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft
Thumbs up Re: Where do you buy Stugeron?

No prescription is needed. ie. --It is "over the counter ".
Go online and check it out and if not working let me know.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote