Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2009, 12:20   #226

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
TimeMachine Sailing » TimeMachine - Cruising a Searunner 31 Trimaran through Central America and Mexico

This is a link to 3 "newsletters" that Jim Brown and his wife Joanna typed up by hand and mailed out in the early to mid 70's. It is very good reading. There was a real group of folks banging together trimarans and sailing off into the sunset back then.
Fun reading and interesting historical stuff.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 17:29   #227
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
16 pages about hippies and despising yuppies? Must be winter
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 18:09   #228

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Pulling from other threads and comments made and ideas given... I know i would be bored stiff idling away the days with out night life to some degree once per week or renting a car or moped's to explore in land areas, local haunts and so forth...So what's the point for me even trying to be so frugal?...I would quit the second or third month out!

I love solitude at times but I love a crowd equally well at others...when I hear the term "counter culture"...I think of uninteresting people trying to fend off and hoard for themselves some jem of a so called nirvana they found somewhere...and I'm not welcome because I'm uninvited crashing the party, don't look or act like them or something like that.

This is my vision of counter culture and I hope its squashed dead...for it is a very selfish attitude...no higher in regard then the jerk who is mindless of what his generator noise is doing to some pristine anchorage somewhere...or blaring boom box on the beach...or naked harry butt for that matter.....Counter to me means "Screw you I don't care how you feel"
or " If you don't like it move"......well that doesn't work very well does it!.. if you are the one feeling wronged because this is "Your" paradise.

So What's my point?....we have to ALL be sensitive toward one another in all we do at all times...and engage in our personal freedoms when it offends no one and modify them when they do...if not then you are the one who is the pig of the anchorage no matter who dropped anchor first or what boat you own..or how much money it takes.

This has nothing to do with stifling individualism but everything to do with humbleness toward others...Howl at the moon..or run a generator all we want when no ear is there to offend but you will be counter to my culture and I yours if its when either of us are trying to sleep or enjoy a sunrise or sun set . Be kind towards one another and we suddenly find ourselves from the same culture...that would be known as the Human culture trying to enjoy our lives separately in different ways while occupying the same real estate together.

If you have that kind off respect you will be welcomed as a friend..and find I usually offer the first round of many cold beers..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 21:15   #229
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Well said Stillraining…. I have more of a fly fishing take on those who put the idea of “Counter” culture up on a pedestal.

Like an inert rock on a fast flowing river, this concept feeds off the energy of the water flowing past, by creating a back eddy of confused and circular references within a limited horizon.

It may be a good place to catch fish, but as interesting dinner companions… you only want them well seasoned on your plate!

To me, a real cruiser is one who learns to go with the flow, measuring his personal set and rate to become an intelligent drifter thru life.

Humbly adapting (as you say) to the differences around you and allowing them to guide you without pre-judgement..

It is after all the dynamics of the water and the new anchorages that keeps us intrigued, so the idea of planting ones feet and bemoaning the differences around us as some sort of doomsday mantra, is frankly….boring.

May you all lead an interesting life!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 21:28   #230
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
jeeeezus, 16 pages???

Just read all the posts after I posted mine. Too many words already so I will edit my shorter...

1. electronic navigation still doesnt make a passage in big seas any more pleasant or a sucking reef pass really any easier to plan or enter.

2. If you are surrounded by fools and morons or dont like the culture go elsewhere, go somewhere harder to get to.

3. Marinas suck, period. Live off the hook.

4. The world has always been full of fools, nothing has changed in the last 20 years.

5. All it tells me when you say you see no "counter culture" people around is that you are in with the wrong crowd.

Step further off the path and you will undoubtedly find what you are looking for.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 21:42   #231

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
To me, a real cruiser is one who learns to go with the flow, measuring his personal set and rate to become an intelligent drifter thru life.

Humbly adapting (as you say) to the differences around you and allowing them to guide you without pre-judgement..
The main problem with this thread is that in bemoaning the judgements of others, we are passing judgements on those who pass judgement.
And so it goes, around and around.

Its rather a pathic way to waste energy on Christmas day, of all things.

And yes, I just made a judgemential statement -- damn it.

Go cruising to enjoy your own personnal level in life and don't concern yourself about things, people, or attitudes you can't change.

I shall return to my single malt.

Have a happy holiday season folks.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 01:46   #232

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Not so...Asking others to pass no judgements is not passing judgment in itself.

Im sorry our company is not to your standards this Christmas day...I hope you find it though.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 10:31   #233

Boat: in between boats
I can't read this whole thread, though I have bounced around most of it.

Maybe there are so many more cruisers and people "trying out" the life style now because of the technological advance of boat building in the late sixties and early seventies. The boats boats built then could last and still be useable for a very long time, if not forever. Thus a huge amount of cheap boats available on the market now, not needing a shipwright, only someone who is somwhat handy with simple hand tools and can read instructions.

These turbulent economic times are forcing the question on many, myself included, if not now, when. The days of corporations offering generous pensions are, for most gone. I have met way too many people in their sixties who have resolved to the reality that retirement does not exist for them anymore. Soooo, if I am going to have to live frugally, I choose to do it on a simple sailboat, made in the mid seventies. I will avoid rocks, reefs, storms and keep a vigilant eye on my anchor gear. I will work when I can and only whin I need to. Maintenance on my simple vessel will be my first priority, palatable red wine my second, since refrigeration is not required to enjoy a glass of merlot. Afterall, the less you eat, the longer you live. And the better you look to the opposite sex in a speedo or thong, or less.

Ok, I have rambled on enoough for now, though more coming later. As I am in the process of purchasing a 41' Newport as my next 'simple vessel'

Here's a toast to fair winds, following seas and fat bottom women who can hoist a sail....
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 11:34   #234

Boat: Stevens 47
If you are going to be sitting there making subjective judgements about the people you meet on the water you will miss connecting with LOADS of the best people you will ever meet. One thing I have learned about living at sea is that those kind of land-based attitudes have no place at all on the water. The "yuppie" you sit there and dismiss as not worthy of your friendship might just be the guy that rescues you off a reef somewhere so don't be making the mistake of shutting people out.
As for cruising "counterculture".....cruising IS counterculture....people might be yuppies on land but if they have made the decision to leave their lifestyle and go live on a boat then I'd say they are living the counterculture! If you are looking for "yuppie" sailors you will find them....if you are looking for "counterculture" you will find it. You get what you put out for in life. Just go do it instead of worrying about what it might be like because you will never find out if you don't go!!

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
Old 26-12-2009, 17:58   #235

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post

1. electronic navigation still doesnt make a passage in big seas any more pleasant or a sucking reef pass really any easier to plan or enter.
It does not? Well then, I must have entered through different passes.

Quote:

2. If you are surrounded by fools and morons or dont like the culture go elsewhere, go somewhere harder to get to.
Among the worst places I have been to were also some of those far-off, off-limits "paradises". 'Hard to get to' has no positive relationship to what sort of people you meet. The good savage is yet another urban legend.

Quote:

3. Marinas suck, period. Live off the hook.
Some do. But without them there would be no cruising as we do it.

Quote:

4. The world has always been full of fools, nothing has changed in the last 20 years.
Not if you ask someone who was around 20 years ago.

Quote:

5. All it tells me when you say you see no "counter culture" people around is that you are in with the wrong crowd.

Step further off the path and you will undoubtedly find what you are looking for.
In fact, you don't have to travel that far to meet them. City squares and 'coffee shops' are full of them. As are some marinas and anchorages.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 17:21   #236

Boat: 74 Tartan 34
I posted a few pages back . Just before christmas. I said a bit and was planning a sail to key west. Well we did it!!!! The sail was pretty much a motor the gulf was flat with a bit of ground swell. the night was incredible-full moon. when we folded up the bimini it was like a light was turned on. we made Boca Grande pass about 12 noon and headed south. we got to the NW channel around 24 hrs later. then we got wind N-NE 15-20. anchored at garrison bight. I got banged up picking up a mooring. the anchorage was so rough I was taking waves over the bow while tieing to the moor. we stayed 3 days then headed home. the report was south winds 15 then the front. So the south wind never showed and another 30 hour motor. incredible night 60 miles off shore bright moon then clouds. Made Boca Grande pass at day break. we anchored in pelican bay. I was finishing tying the anchor when the front hit (1/3/10) the wind was 30 from the north all the other boats swung around and it blew for days. we sailed home the next day in 25 knots. I feel like the luckiest or stupidest sailor around. If I did not leave exactly when I did I probably woulld have returned to KW for the next 2 weeks . We had record cold- but at least I did it. My wife was a bit freaked out being so far offshore. But she did fine. Thanks for the auto pilot!! i was awake for the trips but would not have missed it even if I had crew(refief) I learned That I probably cant cruise, I an too "disabled" I banged my ribs and it still hurts to breathe. I will still fantisize about sailing, it keeps me alive. Maybe I could find some crew. I have a boat that Is sea worthy but a body that is not. I turn 50 soon and the dreams that I have had since my 20's are dissappearing.
I will remember this trip for a long time.
just in case anybody read my post and wondered what I did. Just my wife and I anyway.
peace lostsoul
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 17:41   #237

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Don't give up when you're so close to fulilling your dream!! Ribs heal! Sure it hurts but ribs heal.
FIFTY??? I started cruising when I was 60. Quit when I was 69 and the reason was not age related.
It's kinda like when you get bucked off a horse. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, say dang what a ride! And get back on the horse!!!
All of us have had misgivings after our first open ocean sail but the more times we do it the easier it becomes.
Thanks for shareing.
John
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 18:11   #238

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Quote:
If you are going to be sitting there making subjective judgements about the people you meet on the water you will miss connecting with LOADS of the best people you will ever meet.
Rangiroo, I couldn't agree more. I have met the most amazing people while cruising. These are often people I wouldn't have connected with politically, socially,economically or geographically in regular life. But we all share something in common. I met a Russian who had a steel boat that was like a floating submarine. He'd sailed it through 3 typhoons from the Philippines to Japan. I met an American in Dutch Harbour who survived for 3 days clinging to the wing of a crashed plane in the Bering Sea. I met a man who parachuted into Changi Prison, Singapore at the end of the WW2 to release allied prisoners. It is a great privilege to meet these and many others while cruising. I can't wait to get out there again.
I told my daughters, "When you finish school, I'm leaving home !"

Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2010, 18:34   #239

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
People really have not evloved much in the last 50,000 years...,,, You need hope and fewer excuses to find real adventure. It helps a lot if you leave the whiners home.
The only thing that really has evolved is the methods people use to earn a living. While scoundrels would have once raided your village and taken everything you own and killed you, the biggest contention is that the vultures now wait for you to buy a boat so they can rip you off for every cent you have. Due this “evolution” of the species, for a few moments I was almost going to give up on my dream of keeping my boat and outfitting it for serious single-handed cruising. Amazingly though, even just yesterday I met people who referred me to experienced tradesmen and yachties who would be happy to help me through my dilemmas.

On the other hand, due ongoing bad experiences, I am more than doing my best to avoid genuinely “delusional” people. Maybe I am a bit too conservative for my own good? Regardless, the sailing “counter culture” for me is more about accepting the challenges the ocean can throw at you, the peace, freedom and ultimately being at one with the sea.
Old 31-01-2010, 06:31   #240

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Lostsoul - - I will add to the voices saying do not give up . You went out in probably the worst time of year to the worst destination for that time of year. Winter storms roll of the SE USA all winter and churn up the area - not to mention it gets cold. In a few months the whole weather/wind situation will change.
- - Sail/cruising is not like taking off in your car and going to a destination. We are "season" dependent unless you are into "crashing and bashing" through bad conditions.
- - With more experience you will also know not to try to anchor/moor in areas subject to nasty winds/waves. There are sheltered places south of Key West (maybe and island or two east) where the conditions are very benign/better. And you take the bus or hike to town.
- - There is a very different mindset and processes of choosing when and where to go with a boat versus land transportation and it takes awhile to learn it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote