Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2010, 18:34   #286

Boat: 44' wooden gaff cutter
un-plugged

now 40 years...Wooden boat...plank on frame...still no engine....looking for manual windlass ....20 ton gaffer
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 18:45   #287

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard John

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:44   #288
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Boat...check between your toes dude...you've got culture....
Hey..... your right.... I have....
YEEEEEEEHAAAAA

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:49   #289

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey..... your right.... I have....
YEEEEEEEHAAAAA
You just supposed to smoke it, not shoot it.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 19:51   #290

Boat: Chevrier 36
There are still people choosing to go to sea in modest boats who love the life and who seek out interesting anchorages and interesting people - and I'd like to include myself among that crowd. Having owned a 36-foot boat, I decided I didn't need all the room and downsized to a 32-foot Tahitiana. After spending the last two summers refitting, I'm heading north along the coast of Labrador this summer, where I know for sure there are no overcrowded marinas!!

Fair winds,
Dennison
www.dennisonberwick.info
OceansFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 11:24   #291
cruiser

The problem is the Yachting press and the advertisers who's interest they serve, above that of cruisers, have done an excellent job of convincing people that only the most expensive new gear will work, and it would be suicidal to go to sea with out a brand new boat, over 40 feet minimum, with brand new gear , refridgeration , microwave oven , all the electronics, .ham radio, systems and more systems, etc etc. They have convinced many that to do anything resourceful would be suicidal and irresponsible.
Thankfully there are people out cruising who have escaped consumer "Groupthink" and are doing their own thinking on what they need. They are certainly, by far, the most interesting people out there, far more so than the "Groupthink" crowd.. It's sad to see someone who wasted a huge portion of their lives having been suckered into chasing all the "Necessities " then meeting people out there who got away at a much younger age, with only the real necessities, people who spent their limited lifetime cruising, rather than being conned into filling the pockets of merchants..
Sites which only allow, and thus encourage, posts made by the rich ridiculing , and deriding the poor, while deleting posts that encourage and try to help and support them, don't help.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 12:36   #292
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Rock on Brent......

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 12:45   #293
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
... Sites which only allow, and thus encourage, posts made by the rich ridiculing , and deriding the poor, while deleting posts that encourage and try to help and support them, don't help.
I can't recall ever coming accross such as site. Care to name one?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 13:56   #294

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I can't recall ever coming accross such as site. Care to name one?
Accross is a misspelling of the word across and the use of the word 'as' is misused.

I think what he's trying to express is a dissatisfaction with some who find fault with subjects they disagree with, instead of allowing a person to have their own opinion.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 14:03   #295

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
We can all disagree...it's how we do it that maters...we have a "be nice" policy here at CF that we take very seriously...If we cant disagree in a non personal and nice way then we should keep it to our selves...those are the rules we all agree to follow when we become members...like it or not.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 14:11   #296

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
i am a minimalist , even when sailing , and love the internet..
30 years ago , i bought my first sailing boat a timber 32 fts ( 1931)yacht totally abandoned , i learn the hard way to restaure it , no infos, no magazines, no internet to share idea, and knowledge ..only an old boat carpenter than i used to hassle and strolling in boat yard to observed other timber boats, and fishmen boats..
after changing so many planks , frames , all rivet in the hull , sanding ect....1 years of hard labor living in caravan ..i made it , but did some mistake ..i wish i had the internet then to share issues and help from other people ,great generous people willing to spend their time and knowledge to help me , like i try to do now to others ..
in our countries , Aust , Usa , Europe ,You can choose today what sort of boats and lifestyle you want ,and internet and modern technology make it easier to choose , learn , exchance
i can only see positive in this.
there will be always little cove and paradise anchorages for me an few others who take time to get to it. because luckely for me, most of people stay with the main crowed and group , even at anchor ..
i live in a very tourist place in australia , Noosa , but even at the peak of tourist saison , i will know where to get away just in my kayak ..
Old 21-03-2010, 17:40   #297

Well.......I really believe its more about what a person desires for themselves in the way of comforts or willingness to do without those comforts then anything read, believed or imparted to them by any advertisers or marking ploy to get everyone to become "Group-thinkers".

I would rather build a cabin in a High alpine meadow and spend my time there then set to sea in a dank dark tiny cramped cork in the water.

Going on and on about this is pointless...

If Counter culture means to inflict self pain and or deprive yourself any cadmium of comfort for the sake of being able to say you are counter to all those things..I think you are using the term incorrectly and are counter to the counter culture....Whatever that is....Because you better give up sex then as we cant have you being a comfortable hypocrite..

Sex...rollerfurling or Air conditioning...whats the difference?...Its all comforting to someone to some degree..if not don't have it...plain and simple...but people who do are not counter to you just into different likes and dislikes ..that's it ...end of story.

For me ..I want to have sex In a cool cabin and adjust my sail from the cockpit...you can counter that all you want but its not culture its just a difference of desires.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 21-03-2010, 18:00   #298

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:

For me ..I want to have sex In a cool cabin and adjust my sail from the cockpit...you can counter that all you want but its not culture its just a difference of desires.
And all it takes is money.

Nothing has changed since before the wheel.
Old 21-03-2010, 18:06   #299

Or a resourceful scrounger.....there is no financial reason to do without anything really...at least not a facsimiles of it.

Old 21-03-2010, 18:22   #300

Quote:
Or a resourceful scrounger.....there is no financial reason to do without anything really...at least not a facsimiles of it.

Fax me some of these that I can use please.
Attached Images