Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2023, 06:41   #31

Re: Where to Charter with recent ASA 101-104, 114

We bareboat chartered last May in BVIs with ASA 104 cert. After 104, I had had a couple of day outings on some Catalina 22's, and I also had some old chartering exp. as a 12 year old with Dad in the 80's (which I'm sure doesn't count). My dad owned a Hunter 30 on an inland lake we sailed some too, and I took that boat out some, but I sold that boat several years ago after he died. I was honest about my experience, and they let me go on a 35' monohull with no captain needed.

My recommendation would be to start in the BVIs for your first charter experience, and maybe downgrade to a monohull for your first time. If you're set on a cat, then probably hiring a captain for a day or partial charter time would be a good idea.

Beyond that, you might want to check out the "Great Salt Lake Yachting Club" https://www.gslyc.org/ or the "Park City Sailing Association" https://sailpc.org/ and see if you can sign up to be a crew for someone, or see if there are sailboats to rent. Good luck and fair winds
frolson71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:42   #32

I suggest trying smaller charter companies in the BVIs. My wife and I first chartered a Benneteau 34 and had no problem with my ASA104.

The BVIs are chartering 101, and the charter companies are use to first timers. Also, you may be trying to charter too much boat in their opinion for this being the first time. Hiring a captain for the first day May also be a reasonable alternative. I didn’t, but it will could help you get comfortable with the boat and the charter company comfortable with you. Don’t try to charter a cat if here are only two of you. Too much wasted money, fuel, and space. That is, unless you want to charter and still not see your wife for the week.

Another alternative is to rent a boat for a day occasionally, to build a resume. But, don’t try to charter any more boat than you need. That could be a red flag.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:46   #33

Boat: Lagoon 42

A bit late to the party, apologies. Most charter companies, including ours, will require time with a captain after completing the coursework. As a boat owner I am actually glad about this. I think as much time as you can get with one is invaluable.

If you are interested in chartering in the BVI, feel free to reach out, our boat, a 42, is a bit small for using with a captain, depending on other crew. But our charter company owners, have other, larger vessels that will work. Your best bet is to reach out to an owner and book with them for the best value, we typically offer a free night aboard the night before. I can direct you to other owners if you need as well.
FloatPlaneFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:48   #34

I see you've checked with the Moorings/Sunsail. I was approved for a 40ft catamaran in the BVIs with the equivalent USSailing certifications and no other experience. And after bringing that one back intact, they approved me for any boat, anywhere.

It probably didn't hurt that the bareboat cruising course was with an affiliated school using a Moorings boat.
DancingDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:50   #35

Boat: FP Astrea 42 (Nov 2021)

For a first time charter, Cruise Abaco is THE place to go. I did my ASA certifications with them. The Abaco sea is a great cruising ground for beginners. And on top of things, you can do captain by day, bareboat by night if you are not too comfortable with sailing by yourself the first few days. That means that they will supply a captain, and once set in a bay somewhere, at around 5pm, they'll come and pick up the captain and bring him back to the base for the night.

It's a great way of chartering. Good luck and fair winds
MartyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:51   #36

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School out of the Virgin Islands was absolutely great! We loved it soooo much, we're now travelling around on our Leopard 40. Heading to the Bahamas for the season.

Fairwinds!

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
Old 09-01-2023, 07:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
For those thinking of buying a boat through a charter company and having a newer boat at retirement. If you are on the typical five-year plan, you do not get a five year old boat at the end. You get a beater that has been used hard by a series of amateurs who know they will not be charged extra when returning it. If the deal was a sweet as the charter company makes it sound, they would not open the "investment" up to all of you, they would go to a bank and keep the profits.
John,

I must say as a current owner you are mostly correct. especially with regard to the truth regarding "profit" there is none, and as I say often, if there was there would be no owners. The reason I own, is to have unlimited access to a VERY well maintained boat in the BVI, and truth be told, we could not afford this nice of a boat on our own, so guests help us with expenses, but as you alluded to, they do not cover all of them.

Where I differ is the at the end part, our small boutique charter company, TMM, maintains the boats perfectly and when they sell at the end that are not beaters. I would say your statement is more true of Moorings and others.. I would NOT want to be an owner there.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:07   #38

Boat: Leopard 42

I would recommend the BVI's- which is the charter capitol. You will need to hire a captain for a day or 2 and they will sign you off to solo/bareboat. Besides the big charter companies, look at the smaller family run companies. Let them know your situation and request a captain for a day or two. I used Conch Charters for my first few charters and they were very helpful and more personalized. The BVI's are great sailing grounds to gain experience. I would also recommend getting your IPC- International Proficiency Certificate from ASA. You are already qualified for it and it's a matter of applying and paying. It will give you a little more horsepower on your resume' and you will also need it if you ever want to charter in the Med or Belize. Best of Luck.
mountaindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:12   #39

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW, we have sailed Asia, the Medd, and the Caribb. Although we had our own boat, I still had to get a "Certificate" to be able to check into some countries, especially in the Medd. Here in the Caribb, we've seen lots of charters over the past 7 seasons...some folks really seem to know their stuff, do well, and no issues. On the other hand, we've been rammed twice, had to take evasive action several times, and have had several other "experiences"-none good. Just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you know what's going on. Take a charter, or 2, or 3-with a captain, explain to him your experience, and ask him to show you the ropes. You'll be more comfortable, it may well prevent an incident, and you'll gain experience and confidence. Every place is different-having someone show you the ropes-both underway, picking up a mooring, and anchoring... is not a bad thing.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:17   #40

Boat: Leopard 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
FWIW, we have sailed Asia, the Medd, and the Caribb. Although we had our own boat, I still had to get a "Certificate" to be able to check into some countries, especially in the Medd. Here in the Caribb, we've seen lots of charters over the past 7 seasons...some folks really seem to know their stuff, do well, and no issues. On the other hand, we've been rammed twice, had to take evasive action several times, and have had several other "experiences"-none good. Just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you know what's going on. Take a charter, or 2, or 3-with a captain, explain to him your experience, and ask him to show you the ropes. You'll be more comfortable, it may well prevent an incident, and you'll gain experience and confidence. Every place is different-having someone show you the ropes-both underway, picking up a mooring, and anchoring... is not a bad thing.
Great Advice and ultimately the best way to go! BTW- Taswell's are awesome!
mountaindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
Blue Water Sailing School out of the Virgin Islands was absolutely great! We loved it soooo much, we're now travelling around on our Leopard 40. Heading to the Bahamas for the season.

Fairwinds!

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
Absolutely, We used them a few years ago! Jose is awesome.

-Harmon
Old 09-01-2023, 07:40   #42

In 2019 you could bareboat charter in Croatia with ASA 114 ... amazing cruising grounds ... one way charter from split to dubrovnik is an amazing way to go
areddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:55   #43

Boat: Tartan Ten 33'

My wife and I have now chartered for over ten years. Just finished another BVI charter last month, our favorite place. At one time we even owned a charter boat in the BVI, that’s until hurricane Irma took it. I consider the BVI the top destination for chartering, especially for beginners. A lot of places to see and all just a days sail away. I believe chartering to be one of the best ways to explore sailing destinations instead of owning. You fly to where you want to be, the boat is clean and ready, and when your done, you step off, head to the airport not having to worry about the boat or cleaning. All this for a fraction of the cost of owning.
To help answer your question, I look back when we started. At that time ASA wasn’t issuing classes on chartering and I think a lot of the companies today don’t put much stock in training, they look at experience. And, like you say, it seems like a chicken and egg problem. You’ll need to build experience and you can do that in one of a few ways. First, I would avoid First tear companies. These are big names like Moorings/Sunsail. They are more likely to be particular about your experience because their boats are newer. Second tear companies, companies that own older boats are a little more lenient. We had our boat with Conch Charters, but there are others. Next, start out with an experienced person. A friend or acquaintance with experience shows well on the crew list. You charter the boat, so your name shows on your history, but their experience gets you the boat. Often in a new area, sailing in a flotilla makes the experience easier and gives a little more security for the company. Our first charter was with a flotilla. It’s a great way to learn a new location also. My final suggestion it to maintain a sailing resume. I know ASA has their books, but a resume shows better and can be submitted each time you charter. YouTube has some great videos on people chartering, and like others, I have some of ours. Search for ‘Captain Sudden’.
mlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:50   #44

It seems to work "both ways." I have owned 6 boats over my life and have spent many decades cruising and racing sailboats. I took navigation courses years ago (before ASA was a thing) and have skippered my own boats up and down the east coast of the US. However I am getting ready to charter and they are requiring ASA certification. I am okay with this as theoretically it does screen for a least a modicum of competency for taking out other people's boats. But it is a bit disappointing to hear though, that ASA may not accomplish quite as much as I hoped it would.
petehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:58   #45

Boat: Shannon 39

Great Lakes Sailing let my wife and I bareboat charter a Catalina 36 for 3 days after completing their ASA 104 class. Three bright, blue wonderful days sailing up and down Grand Travers Bay with steady westerlies 15+/- kts. Plenty of anchorages and marinas. Recommend Sutton's Bay.

https://www.greatlakessailingco.com/
lubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, charter