Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 02:35   #1

Boat: X-yacht; Xp38
Where to in south-east Denmark?

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that we're planning to sail my new Xp38 from the yard in Vaderslev, Denmark (just 50 miles north of the German border) to the south of Holland end August. However we thought it important to have a plan B, in case of the wrong weather system (strong westerlies for a week!) when exiting the Kiel Canal at Cuxhaven. Plan B is to cruise around for a week in the rough vicinity of Vaderslev and then probably leave the boat in Kiel. Would anybody have any advice please of which are the quaint smaller (fishing) towns to visit, taking into consideration that she draws 2.40m. And if there is any advice re the most 'suitable' yacht club / marina in Kiel to leave the boat for several weeks until transport to New Zealand, that would be much appreciated also.
Many thanks in advance and cheers from New Zealand.
expatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 03:30   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Where to in south-east Denmark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatria View Post
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that we're planning to sail my new Xp38 from the yard in Vaderslev, Denmark (just 50 miles north of the German border) to the south of Holland end August.
Could it be that you mean Haderslev?
Old 22-07-2019, 03:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

In Kiel I've always used the yacht club at Dusternbrook. Very friendly and nice place, and walking distance from the city. It's not all that cheap, however, like everything in Kiel, and fairly exposed in case a storm blows through the Kiel Fjord.

For longer stays I have preferred to get through the Kiel Canal first and leave the boat in Cuxhaven. The LCF Cuxhaven in Amerikahafen have a special deal for people leaving their boats there with no one on board -- so cheap that it's almost free. The LCF facilities are primitive and a little creaky, but shelter inside Amerikahafen is perfect. And Cuxhaven has better access to Hamburg airport than Kiel, although both are fairly convenient. I have left my boat there for a week at a time to fly out on business, and not had any second thought.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 14:14   #4

Boat: X-yacht; Xp38

Yes, thanks for the useful replies and it's HADERSLEV indeed. Good suggestion re the Amerikahafen in Cuxhaven. We'll certainly keep that in mind. Will just keep fingers crossed for good easterlies though for a good run along the north German/Dutch coast.
expatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 15:14   #5

Boat: X-Yacht Xc45

Did same trip in my Xc45 4 years ago. Weather turned bad after coming out of canal. Left boat in Cuxhaven unattended for a week with no problems.
Wavehiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Denmark