Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2017, 21:59   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
where to launch a trailerable sailboat in Sea of Cortez

I have a 28 foot Sharpie on a dual axle trailer. I live in SF Bay area. I have spent hours reading about where to launch in Sea of Cortez.

Bahia de los Angeles, San Felipe, etc....Whew...

I have a 1 ton dually V8 flatbed Chev with Allison tranny. Diesel. I know i need to bring extra tires. I know there are inclines and such.

I ran across a group of powerboaters called Vagabundos.com that organize group travels for safety down to Sea of Cortez....I remember that Corsair F boats used to travel together also.

So, any of "use" guys trailered down and where did you plop in? I worry about my diesel being left alone for a couple of weeks. I worry about banditos on the highways. I love Mexican people...so it ain't that. I work in Richmond California so i know plenty about bad fellas.

Any trailer associations you can turn me on to pick their brains? Any ideas appreciated. My boat is centerboard and relatively flat bottom...if that helps
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2017, 22:10   #2

Re: where to launch a trailerable sailboat in Sea of Cortez

Not sure but seems I remember Puerto Peņasco in the very northern Sea of Cortez works for many. But anywhere there's a boatyard you could have her launched and probably have a place to store the truck etc more safely. La Paz, San Carlos etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 09:18   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

pretty much anywhere you can store the transportation and trailer safely.
you can LAUNCH from any beach in soc.
there are marinas in guaymas san felipe san carlos and penasco launch ramp in puertocitos, and beaches south of puertocitos. between puertocitos and mulege is sparse.
beaches are not safe storage areas. yes there are bandidos. many can be put off with a can of brake fluid or whatever they need immediately.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 09:36   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

You might check out this thread on TrawlerForum:

Sea of Cortez - Trawler Forum
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 09:41   #5

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

Hey Alan,

I just sold my Corsair but the three we liked are on order of preference. Cheap and safe. I too used to tow with a one ton truck and had a level of concern leaving it. It is a very popular, high theft vehicle down south.

#1-Marina Seca San Carlos. $9 launch, store truck and trailer in Marina Seca locked/guarded yard. Sorry cannot remember truck storage rate but my whole boat on trailer was $75/mo.

#2-Marina Puerto Escondido. New owners, great place. Secure and inexpensive. Drive down Baja could be more of a challenge than Hwy 15 on the mainland to San Carlos.

#3-Safe Harbor Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). Fenced yard with ramp. 24 hour security. Good road down. You can store vehicle, boat, and trailer behind fence.

Hope this helps.

Don
2000 Leopard 38
La Paz now, heading to Mazatlan.
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 12:14   #6

Thanks CF...as always...indespensible. Alan
Old 26-12-2017, 21:00   #7

Boat: Celestial 48

Depends on how long your trip will be and when. If for a few weeks I would do Puerto Escondido as there are lots of anchorages to visit in the area. Puerto Penasco much closer, but not a lot of cruising destinations close by. If staying down for all winter, might pick San Carlos as a start point.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:29   #8

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvlmedic View Post
Hey Alan,

I just sold my Corsair but the three we liked are on order of preference. Cheap and safe. I too used to tow with a one ton truck and had a level of concern leaving it. It is a very popular, high theft vehicle down south.

#1-Marina Seca San Carlos. $9 launch, store truck and trailer in Marina Seca locked/guarded yard. Sorry cannot remember truck storage rate but my whole boat on trailer was $75/mo.

#2-Marina Puerto Escondido. New owners, great place. Secure and inexpensive. Drive down Baja could be more of a challenge than Hwy 15 on the mainland to San Carlos.

#3-Safe Harbor Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). Fenced yard with ramp. 24 hour security. Good road down. You can store vehicle, boat, and trailer behind fence.

Hope this helps.

Don
2000 Leopard 38
La Paz now, heading to Mazatlan.
Don't you wish all responses on these forums were as informative and concise as this one? Good job!
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 08:54   #9

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Most of the places listed on the Baja California side, Bahia Los Angeles, Loreto , Puerto Escondido and La Paz are populated areas where temporary secure truck storage could be arranged. Your concern about banditos, while not entirely unfounded, is greater than the actual threat. Instances of petty theft are not uncommon, particularly in the more populated areas. However, you'll find the large majority of local people to be very honest and willing to help you if you ask. If your plan is to be out on your boat for a period of time, ask around and you'll likely find someone to let you park your truck and trailer in a secure area on their property. By all means, go and enjoy the wonderful sailing, beautiful anchorages and unmatched fishing and snorkeling the Sea has to offer.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 09:15   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Besides the locations mentioned already, Las Arenas is a common launching site for trailerable fishing boats. It was unpaved when I was last there, but is well enough protected and has pretty good launching conditions and better than average fishing.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:40   #11

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

San Felipe would be an awesome spot to start, and last time I was there there were at least as many gringoes as Mexicans. I am sure you could find a safe place for your truck and trailer. And a sharpie is the ideal monohull for that part of the Sea. The tide goes out really far, leaving a wide expanse of sea bottom. 45 years ago we were there and every day a family came out at low tide to collect sea food from a 4' x 50' net they had attached to the sand. Each kid carried a bucket for a different catch. We have many friends who drive down in the winter to La Paz or Guaymas and put their vehicle in storage for several months without problems. Hope to see you there someday, I have a lifelong interest in sharpies.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 12:43   #12

Boat: Tartan 33R

Considering your location, I'd say Gonzaga Bay is a solid option. The new highway just went through (fortunately for the local economy, unfortunately for gringos who love Baja) which makes it an easy tow. It's a good balance between ease of towing and a location which starts you off near cruising grounds. You have great nearby anchorages at punta final and refugio at the North end of Angel de La Guardia. Launch ramp and secure storage at Papa Fernandez. Just plan to launch at high tide and you're set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3572.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	161110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3583.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	161111  

Crustyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 14:26   #13

Boat: Nor'Sea 27

San Felipe! 2012 I trailered an O'Day Mariner 19'. The marina was almost new. The boat ramp was in very good condition. The price of the slip was less than a camping spot near the Malicon. The hot showers at the marina were very clean as was the laundry. The Mexican navy had a patrol boat tied up on the same finger as I was. They had automatic weapons on their shoulders. There were no worries about security. The tide range was huge, 20 feet from low tide to high, but the ramps to the docks were well built. I left Calixico at day break in December and made it to San Felipe before dark. No problems on the well paved highways. I parked my car and trailer near a beach next to the marina and had no problems. I hope you enjoy your trip to Mexico. I did.

Dwight
1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 17:12   #14

Boat: Ericson 38

Thirty years ago after sailing down the Pacific side in my Coronado 25 and after five months of cruising had a friend haul me out at LA Bay. There was plenty of water for my 4 foot draft and the ramp was sufficient. I don't know about the safety of leaving your rig ashore today but I imagine that the facilities have improved over the years. It was not as far as driving over to the mainland Mexico side like Puerto Penasco or San Carlos.
kenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 12:59   #15

So many great replies. Thanks guys.

BTW I emailed Vagabundos. They are in Rio Vista, Ca. Not far from me really. Cool web site and they have all the stuff on vehicle, boat, trailer, and entry docs required for Mexican travel. I await contact. I am not too anxious due to the holidays.

A lot of good information.

Is there advantages/disadvantages to travelling highway 5 out of Mexicali versus highway 1 out Tijuana? I don't know the topography well. But it appears that when you want to go east you have to climb the Sierra Madre. I was just wondering if it wouldn't be smarter to just start out on the east side of the Sierra and avoid all of that climbing and descent work on the truck. But I also don't know road conditions and that is always something to think about.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, sea of cortez, trailer