Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 18:32   #1

Where to start in Michigan

Hello, we are a family with three small kids. While we are working to save $$ to allow us buying a cat to hopefully quit jobs and go sailing (and while our kids are growing up a bit before we do that - so in about 5-7 years), we need to learn more about sailing and test what it is like before we execute on our "quit-job" plans.

We have zero experience sailing, but we are not new to adventure at all, and we are very eager to learn.

We live in Michigan (Lansing area so about 1.5-2.0 hr drive to any of the lakes on the east or west sides of the state). A few questions that I hope folks here can help are as follows:

1) Are there any sailing co-ops or clubs we can join to start learning to sail?

2) Is there a place where we can go and look at cats (and hopefully in the future, test sail them)? In the future, we will likely be looking to buy something in the 40-50 feet range and probably from one of the big three cat manufacturers.

Any other thoughts or ideas that will help us take the best path forward will be appreciated.

Thanks
vasiliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 18:53   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Where to start in Michigan

My first thought about where to start in Michigan is "springtime". Humor aside...

I am not familiar with Michigan but will give you a couple thoughts. First, regardless of what your aspirations are there are two things that are well known to get you up the sailing learning curve fast. (1) Sail small boats and (2) Race. Someone else will have to chime in on what racing opportunities there may be in your area but learning to sail a small boat is most easily accomplished by buying one and then going out and sailing it. Even if your aspiration is to cruise on a catamaran it does not need to be a cat. In fact a small monohull, like a Sunfish, Laser, Snipe, etc. will teach you more of what you need to know at this stage than a Hobie.

Start watching Craigslist for the cities within a reasonable drive from you and look for a cheap starter boat (or two) with a trailer. Trust me - you do not need something nice to learn on. As long as the boat is complete it does not matter if it is dull and faded and has old sails. A cheap boat with a trailer generally provides a lot more opportunity for actual sailing than trying to get on other people's boats as crew.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Depending on where in Michigan you live there are a number of clubs you can join. Chicago has at least one time share you can join.
I know of only one place you can rent a catamaran, and that is at the Great Lakes Sailing Co, in Traverse City, which also has a school, where you can get certified, which classes can and usually do take 4 days, where you can rent the rest of the week at a nice discount. https://www.greatlakessailingco.com/charters/

To be able to see a lot of catamarans, the Miami boat show, is the place to go, when it is happening, due to covid closures.
Old 08-09-2020, 18:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
Depending on where in Michigan you live there are a number of clubs you can join. Chicago has at least one time share you can join.
I know of only one place you can rent a catamaran, and that is at the Great Lakes Sailing Co, in Traverse City, which also has a school, where you can get certified, which classes can and usually do take 4 days, where you can rent the rest of the week at a nice discount. https://www.greatlakessailingco.com/charters/

To be able to see a lot of catamarans, the Miami boat show, is the place to go, when it is happening, due to covid closures.

Thanks, this is helpful. As I mentioned, we are in the Lansing area so this is a several hours drive. We are likely closer to Detroit.

We may need to try a cat for sailing, but so far we just wanted to get to a marina and look at them at least. Maybe get on board one or two just to get the feeling.

It is a good to know about the sailing school at Traverse City. What classes would one take to be ready for taking a cat out without an instructor? Should my spouse and I take classes or one of us is enough?

dougweibel, we may not have room to store a boat by our house so if we get a boat, even a small one, we will likely need to have a storage location for it. Any suggestions? We are open to options, but want to be efficient in terms of time (and money) we spend.
vasiliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:14   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasiliy View Post
dougweibel, we may not have room to store a boat by our house so if we get a boat, even a small one, we will likely need to have a storage location for it. Any suggestions? We are open to options, but want to be efficient in terms of time (and money) we spend.
Sorry, I am not from Michigan so have no suggestion. You might look around for a sailing club with land storage options. I've got one near my house where you can either rent rack space for a Laser/Sunfish sized boat or a parking space for a boat on a trailer.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:39   #6

Hi Vasily,
Check out North Star Sail Club in Harrison Township on Lake St. Clair. They offer adult sailing lessons, junior sailing and lots of activities. They have docks and winter storage. Two of our members live in Okemos which is near Lansing.
Almost all members sail monohulls, but we do have members currently on their Leopard cat in New Zealand. Let me know if you want more info.
Mike
t380029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 20:22   #7

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

It looks like there might be a couple clubs in/around Lansing according to Google.
For me, boat-able water is only a couple miles, bigger water about an hour, and the local clubs in three directions just over an hour drive each. If you like the people and place you will be sailing with and at, you will not mind the drive so much.
Old 08-09-2020, 20:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I think you're starting at the wrong end of the spectrum.
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 08-09-2020, 20:53   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Not a lot of cats on the Great Lakes. They are too much beam for most of the old infrastructure. As noted by others, you won’t learn much on the beach cats that you can transfer to a cruising cat. Small cats are crazy light in comparison and so handling is very different. Check out marinas and clubs for crew positions. This is a great place to learn. Get a used monohull on a trailer and have a bit of fun learning.

When the C19 crazy is over you cab rent a charter in the Canadian North Channel. There are a few cats there I believe. Just google sailing charters North Channel.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 23:14   #10

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasiliy View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. As I mentioned, we are in the Lansing area so this is a several hours drive. We are likely closer to Detroit.
I second the Great Lakes Sailing Co suggestion. They are high class and worth the trip (I visited them from the K-zoo area). You can take ASA classes there and charter a sailboat, including a Gemini catamaran, with a captain for personalized instructions (you should).
Other than that, there is a boat show in Chicago in January, which will probably get cancelled this time around, and multiple brokers everywhere, including Detroit area, that you should start getting connected with. They may be more instrumental in suggesting the next steps for you. There is a nice yacht club on Grosse Ile, but I don’t know what they offer, only been there once at a Detroit boat show a few years ago.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:42   #11

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
My first thought about where to start in Michigan is "springtime". Humor aside...

I am not familiar with Michigan but will give you a couple thoughts. First, regardless of what your aspirations are there are two things that are well known to get you up the sailing learning curve fast. (1) Sail small boats and (2) Race. Someone else will have to chime in on what racing opportunities there may be in your area but learning to sail a small boat is most easily accomplished by buying one and then going out and sailing it. Even if your aspiration is to cruise on a catamaran it does not need to be a cat. In fact a small monohull, like a Sunfish, Laser, Snipe, etc. will teach you more of what you need to know at this stage than a Hobie.

Start watching Craigslist for the cities within a reasonable drive from you and look for a cheap starter boat (or two) with a trailer. Trust me - you do not need something nice to learn on. As long as the boat is complete it does not matter if it is dull and faded and has old sails. A cheap boat with a trailer generally provides a lot more opportunity for actual sailing than trying to get on other people's boats as crew.
Investing in the cheapest crappiest (I mean, to a point) sunfish is definitely the best way to learn. You'll how the sail loads with the different forces; you will learn to reduce stresses on your larger boat by struggling in 10 ft. boat. I learned on a windsurfer. I was in a situation where I had an engine failure and had to beat upwind into Ludington municipal marina at 2 am in 30 kts under a reefed mainsail, and knew exactly how to keep the boat moving because of my time windsurfing. All bragging aside (I just did what I had to), just sharing how it really helped me to know how the sail was actually propelling the boat forward. I think that's the key, scuff up a crappy sunfish before you buy your bigger boat.
Also GOOD FOR YOU!! Were all pulling for ya!

Dan
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:28   #12

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

It is a good to know about the sailing school at Traverse City. What classes would one take to be ready for taking a cat out without an instructor? Should my spouse and I take classes or one of us is enough?

To rent bareboat in the Caribbean you will most likely need ASA 104 and 114. Other classes most likely also need ASA 101/103/104. I cannot say specifically, as I do not charter cats, but research into it would be prudent on your part.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:48   #13

there are definitely some yacht clubs that do sailing for starters or sailing schools you can put your kids in for a few months.. i would say start with a smaller boat for the beginning
AlexandraCirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:03   #14

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch

There is an amazing program for kids and young adults in Traverse City also (I say also because SV Siren mentioned the sailing school in Traverse City). I bike past boardman lake and every time I see kids righting their own boats (supervised by an instructor in a motor boat) or executing a smooth gybe. A couple friends of mine went through the program and I'd say they definitely learned a lot about sailing.

As for the class, if it gives one of you confidence I'd say go for it, but I'd also recommend just jumping into some sailing. I would happily donate a day or two and teach yall what I know. I do not have a Cat but I do own a Magellan 36 ketch and an Alberg 30. It's not all about making money, maybe others on here (with a Cat boat?) would take you for a sail?
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:33   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielPerry View Post
There is an amazing program for kids and young adults in Traverse City also (I say also because SV Siren mentioned the sailing school in Traverse City). I bike past boardman lake and every time I see kids righting their own boats (supervised by an instructor in a motor boat) or executing a smooth gybe. A couple friends of mine went through the program and I'd say they definitely learned a lot about sailing.

As for the class, if it gives one of you confidence I'd say go for it, but I'd also recommend just jumping into some sailing. I would happily donate a day or two and teach yall what I know. I do not have a Cat but I do own a Magellan 36 ketch and an Alberg 30. It's not all about making money, maybe others on here (with a Cat boat?) would take you for a sail?
If you care to drive to Grand Rapids there is the GRYC on Reeds Lake. Great summer programs and class racing Melgus MC and others. Sign up as crew.

My cat. Not much in common with a cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C2A6D05-A0E4-4E28-9E5F-45BC7EA92FFF.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	223071   Click image for larger version

Name:	0CFACF44-6A21-44B0-BCC7-936A52EECACE.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	223072  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote