Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 10:40   #1

Where to store car

My wife and I will be driving to Charleston SC in late September to meet a friend of ours at a local marina to help her sail her boat to Florida. We don't yet know which marina we will meet at. The question is where to store our car safely for about three weeks until we return to drive back home. It would be most convenient if we could safely leave our car at the marina until we return. But, I'm not sure if marinas will allow this, or if it's even safe to do this. I'm not familiar with the area. I'm sure it makes a difference the type of marina/community. If it's a gated community it might be safer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Another option may be to store the car at an airport parking garage then take Uber or a cab to the marina.
Any all suggestions are appreciated.
PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:12   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Where to store car

The marina would be the first place to ask. It would be much better if it was the marina the boat has been docked/stored at for a while. If you have insurance, I wouldn't worry too much about the car.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:15   #3

Airport garages are pretty expensive comparatively aren't they? Maybe not if they have long term areas.
I wonder if you are better off taking a bus up or something as you have to come back again to retrieve your car if you drive up...
Rent a car one way? It seems the rental cars I've had in FL are the cheapest anywhere!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:51   #4

Unless that marina agrees (or is paid) to watch over your car, I'd put it in a vehicle storage yard/unit for that amount of time. Google "monthly vehicle storage" or "RV storage". You should be able to rent an indoor or outdoor storage spot that's inside a security fence.

Heck, there might even be someone on this forum that's local and that could give you a spot in their driveway for a few weeks.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 13:43   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ask the marina. always ask marina. they have policies for guests, which you are.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 14:14   #6

Boat: Nauticat 33

If you have any say in the choice of marina, I'd push for Charleston Harbor Marina. It's at Patriot's Point (attached to The Hilton) in Mount Pleasant and is a very safe area. They have a huge gravel parking lot and there will be more than enough space for your car. They also have security at the marina. Also, it's the closest to the jetties, so super easy access to the sea.

City Marina and the others downtown have very little parking available and are going to charge you by the day. St John's Yacht Harbor is a great marina, but the bridge to get into the main parking area is still out, so you'd have to park in the far lot. No security out there. Also, just anecdotally, I had a bicycle stolen there. Bohickitt is nice, but is quite a haul from Charleston if you're looking actually spend some time in the city.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
My wife and I will be driving to Charleston SC in late September to meet a friend of ours at a local marina to help her sail her boat to Florida. We don't yet know which marina we will meet at. The question is where to store our car safely for about three weeks until we return to drive back home. It would be most convenient if we could safely leave our car at the marina until we return. But, I'm not sure if marinas will allow this, or if it's even safe to do this. I'm not familiar with the area. I'm sure it makes a difference the type of marina/community. If it's a gated community it might be safer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Another option may be to store the car at an airport parking garage then take Uber or a cab to the marina.
Any all suggestions are appreciated.
Remember the old joke about the woman who occasionally would bring her Bently to the garage for a problem. The shop would always say it would take a week or so to look at it and every time when she got back they would say no problems found, charge her the minimum service charge and off she would go. After about 4 of these, the service manager asked her why she kept bringing it in and she said, Where else in New York can I park my car for two weeks for that amount?

It is a valid thought...
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:17   #8

How about the local yacht club? You could also do long term parking at the local airport if its a fancy car. If its a cheap junker, try a municipal parking lot with monthly rates. Or just rent a wreck from Enterprise, drive down there, drop the rental off(assuming one way rental) and then repeat in reverse when you come back, or just fly direct to you home after the boat delivery.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:44   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think that leaving the car at the marina would be best, but until I know which city and which marina we will meet at I can't make any firm arrangements.
PatSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:24   #10

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

the last shopping basket jalopy storage was easy / handed the rego plates in and was paid $10 by the car crusher / it stored real easy as a cube / possibly in japan or india by now
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 14:41   #11

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Why not just rent a car to get to the boat? Several agency's will pick the car up at the marina. I do it all the time when doing deliveries.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 16:39   #12

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

Hell,
We leave our car in the last marina we were in.
Have left it there for a year and more sometimes. Just went into the office and gave them a set of keys and said" were going sailing, if you need to move it, go ahead" Never had a problem other than copious bird poop. One place actually ran it occasionaly for us. No issue.
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 17:09   #13

Boat: wanting a cat

Absolute no brainer, rent a car ONE WAY drop off, I just did this with Hertz, unlimited mileage and it was $112.00 dollars. Drop off car, uber to the boat!

just sayin' why over think it...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote