Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 23:27   #16

Re: Which Drone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Industrial robots ok just another tool- however those stupid house floor sweepers and those things you ask questions of are putrid
Hey Leo, my apologies mate. I was just taking the piss.
It's just that you literally mentioned crackpots and drones going together, and THEN you mentioned your hatred of drones because to the military uses them to kill people. (!)
I didn't realize your comedy was unintentional, as the irony looked clever-silly to me. Nevermind if you don't see it.
You and I should just talk cruising.
Peace.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 23:39   #17

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner

FWIW, I have a mavic pro and consider it the most incredible piece of technology I have ever set hands upon. It is extremely easy to fly from land or from the boat even underway. It has a lot of clever features intended to prevent collisions with objects and if you take the trouble to understand their purpose and disable the ones that would prevent landing on a moving boat, you should have no issues.

Only thing to be aware of, is that due to the ultra compact nature of the mavic pro, it does not have landing struts like the phantom range... therefore hand catching on landing it can be a tad more challenging. Personally, I am quite able to manoeuvre it through the rigging and land it on the deck whilst underway in calm conditions.
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 23:49   #18
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Thanks Everyone for the useful info
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 00:24   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

According to this comoarison

http://www.droneriot.com/best-drones-for-sailing/

The Mavic pro seems to be superior to the splash except for waterproofing.

But just how sensitive would it be in rain?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:58   #20

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

I use my Phantom 3 professional quite regularly off my sailboat. Easy to hand launch and easy to hand catch
Old 06-12-2017, 10:38   #21

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I had a RC powerboat and could never quite get the knack of going port and starboard when it was facing toward me. I'm convinced if I tried the same thing in three dimensions I'd send it on a graceless swan dive into the water the first time it lifted off the deck.

I'm guessing there are options to automate some of the finer techniques of flying, and concentrate on the "big picture" of where I want it to go. Anyone care to elaborate?

Finally, it seems that a "go home" option which came back to where I am NOW, rather than where it launched from, would be a huge benefit. Anybody heard of this?

I promise I won't buzz anyone at anchor if I get one. They can certainly be off-putting if you're not expecting one. But the stills and videos they're capable of capturing are just amazing.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:26   #22

Boat: Sabre 34

I have watched several videos from this guy, he uses a Phantom 3 Pro, I must say I am impressed by his boating and videography skills.

Btw, I got a great deal on Go Pro 5 and Karma drone which I plan on using on the sailboat next summer; I will have several months to get used to it on land. I would love to own a Phantom some day but it's too big to carry and my primary purpose of getting a drone is to take it along while hiking. If someone uses a Karma drone I will appreciate tips/warnings.

I have heard (never first hand) people shooting down drones, how common is that? I sail in Long Island Sound and will try to keep the drone as far away from the shore as possible - do I run the risk of having it shot down by some trigger happy nutjob? Should I not bother to use the drone while sailing (I am gonna use it very infrequently if any)?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I had a RC powerboat and could never quite get the knack of going port and starboard when it was facing toward me.
One useful trick when you are starting out: When the craft is coming toward you, turn your back to it and and look at it over your shoulder. The controls ill feel more natural that way.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28   #24

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

I simply yaw my drone a 180゚ so the front is facing away from me and then it's simply a matter of backing it in as the movement is not reverse what you would think
Old 06-12-2017, 12:32   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
It's just that you literally mentioned crackpots and drones going together, and THEN you mentioned your hatred of drones because to the military uses them to kill people. (!)
I didn't realize your comedy was unintentional, as the irony looked clever-silly to me. Nevermind if you don't see it.
Peace.
Lotsa crackpots in the military and in politics plus many of those attracted to drones have a peeping Tom mentallity
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:35   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Lotsa crackpots in the military and in politics plus many of those attracted to drones have a peeping Tom mentallity
Change 'many' to MOST
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by moored View Post
I have watched several videos from this guy, he uses a Phantom 3 Pro, I must say I am impressed by his boating and videography skills.

Btw, I got a great deal on Go Pro 5 and Karma drone which I plan on using on the sailboat next summer; I will have several months to get used to it on land. I would love to own a Phantom some day but it's too big to carry and my primary purpose of getting a drone is to take it along while hiking. If someone uses a Karma drone I will appreciate tips/warnings.

I have heard (never first hand) people shooting down drones, how common is that? I sail in Long Island Sound and will try to keep the drone as far away from the shore as possible - do I run the risk of having it shot down by some trigger happy nutjob? Should I not bother to use the drone while sailing (I am gonna use it very infrequently if any)?
Long Island Sound? wont last long--there are even floating shooting clubs there on fast powerboats who love taking them out!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:42   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Peace.
?? 'Taking the piss' just what everybody wants to know. Hope you feel better now.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:45   #29

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Long Island Sound? wont last long--there are even floating shooting clubs there on fast powerboats who love taking them out!
Lol, good to know.
"floating shooting clubs.."
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:48   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
FWIW, I have a mavic pro and consider it the most incredible piece of technology I have ever set hands upon. It is extremely easy to fly from land or from the boat even underway. It has a lot of clever features intended to prevent collisions with objects and if you take the trouble to understand their purpose and disable the ones that would prevent landing on a moving boat, you should have no issues.

Only thing to be aware of, is that due to the ultra compact nature of the mavic pro, it does not have landing struts like the phantom range... therefore hand catching on landing it can be a tad more challenging. Personally, I am quite able to manoeuvre it through the rigging and land it on the deck whilst underway in calm conditions.

Right on. I have both the phantom 3 and mavic pro. You can order extension legs for the mavic but I found them too weak to provide a good grip. While the Phantom 3 is easier to catch I hand takeoff and land on the boat all the time. Have any of the Spash owners had trouble rescuing the Spash in the ocean?
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote