Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2022, 15:23   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Which drone from boat?

I have a business idea that would, in part, involve filming customers using a drone. Launched and retrieved from a small boat.

I have seen it done by the YouTubers.

My question. What type of drone would work? Are there ones that can “find” there way back to a moving landing pad on a boat? Are some more water/resistant (proof)?

Any advice welcome.

Thank you….
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 20:10   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Which drone from boat?

There is at least one drone that is waterproof in the event you crash in the water. The Splash Drone.

The vast majority of drones, if they hit the water, are done for. DJI is perhaps the most popular drone manufacturer, with many drone models. Generally, the more expensive drones can handle higher wind, have longer flight time, and better cameras.

If you have never flown a drone before, I suggest one in a moderate price range, $500-$1000 or so, and figure it disposable and that you will crash and lose it while learning to fly from a boat.

No, drones will not automatically return to and land on a moving boat. And it is very difficult to pull off a landing on a moving boat. I've done it a few times, but often it is more of a controlled (or not so controlled) crash.
Old 19-12-2022, 09:31   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

As Warren suggests, drones that are programmed to "return to base" when batteries run low don't realize that their "base" on board a boat that they took off from has moved. They return to where the boat was when they were launched. Good luck re-positioning the boat under it before the drone lands.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 09:36   #4

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Many DJI drones can use "return to controller" if you use the non DJI app called Litchi.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ere.visionplus

Great to get the drone close to you. Landing needs to be always done manually via the remote.
Old 19-12-2022, 09:47   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

Honestly most of this is on the operator more than the drone. You want something with good range though. I had an old Phantom 3 on my boat when I was cruising the Caribbean. Flew it many times, off the boat and dinghy, under sail and on anchor, and only had a scare once when it went out of range and didn't have a return to base feature configured.

The nice thing about the Phantom 3 is that it had big landing legs so I could just pluck it out of the sky. I would obviously buy something more modern now, but just keep in mind that some of the features that are attractive to most drone users, aren't necessarily best for launch and recovery on a boat.

example launching: https://youtu.be/OFzQBZ-8ag8?t=105
plucking out of sky: https://youtu.be/OFzQBZ-8ag8?t=287
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 12:48   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Another important thing is to watch out for the wind and your drones power to fly against it.

If you launch start the flight towards the wind to see if she can easily cope.
Nothing as bad as flying away from the boat and realizing the drone cannot come back because the wind is to strong. Your (sail) boat will have close to zero chance to get back to her fast enough.

There are currently two waterproof drones afaik.

The Swellpro drones and the Gannett drones.
Old 19-12-2022, 14:04   #7

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Thanks to those who responded so far….

I saw awhile ago some guy who attached carbon fiber “floats” to a drone so any accidental water landing did not result in damage. Never followed up but that seemed like a good idea??? Maybe that is a better idea than a “waterproof” drone, which according to the reviews I have read aren’t really all that waterproof….

As for landing….my plan involves landing it on top of a hard top structure that has nets on all four sides….kind of “crash” it into nets….I am leery of trying to catch something with spinning rotors.
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 17:12   #8

Boat: Boatless but working on it

They are easy enough to catch when hovering directly in front of you. You need to be quick and then turn the (DJI) upside down to turn it off. Best done with not too much wind and a return to controller(home) option.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 19:25   #9

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor

I already sank two drones, one cheap and one not so. One on return, one on takeoff (DJI Mini 2). With takeoff, I forgot to account for current - there was no wind - which moved the boat just enough after the drone took off that it hit part of the rigging. For return, I now have a big fish net to scoop the drone (another Mavic) as I pass it by. I usually sail alone so use autopilot to control the boat, hands to move control the drone and net to catch it. Takes a while to untangle the blades from the net but so far worked fine.
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat