Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 11:35   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Which is best boat for ocean passages?

My feeling is that most folks will avoid disparaging certain boats/designs (i.e. which boats to avoid) but will give informed opinions on their favorites and why. My guess would be that most folks will point you in the direction of the Moody and Tayana first. An owner of a certain model you have mentioned is not so likely to chime in and say "don't get one of mine!" Better to go back to the title of your thread IMO.
Although, on second thought, delivery skippers probably have plenty to say about models to avoid!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 11:39   #32

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

The short answer is to leave the Hunter and the Beneteau in the marina.

The long answer is: which of the other three is best outfitted and equipped for a long passage and extended time living aboard.

The Tayana is a proven passage maker and would be great for a couple. I also wouldn't hesitate to go with the Moody, which has a layout that would comfortably accommodate a larger crew.

I don't have experience with an unstayed rig on a long passage so I defer on the question of the Freedom although Gary Mull has a good reputation and they have always intrigued me.

I will be interested to see the final polling. Happy cruising.

Doug
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:06   #33

Boat: Colegate 26

I'd be most comfortable in the Moody or Tayana. But it's more about the equipment you bring with you.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:45   #34

As to boat type, well we have a Moody and love it but I’m bias so I don’t want to discourage any of your choices. I will say this, most any boat will cross an ocean, hell they get across on row boats but some boats might be better choices depending on how long your going to be out or how many oceans your going to cross. You should also give consideration to the layout and storage as your going to be at anchor 80% of the time. Not all layouts work best for everyone. I personally am not a fan of galleys that are open across from the sette, l like something that sorta locks you in on boisterous passages. Good sea bunks are another thing I like, good hand holds thru out. Good tankage for water and fuel and proper dry storage for everything from sails to shopping carts, little ones of course. I’m also not a fan of deeply swept spreaders as crossing oceans your main will not be able to be let out all the way. I like real good engine access especially as I get older. At anchor I like a real nice double bunk that we can walk around if need be. My wife has had it with VBerths. I like a good sized nav station, it’s our home office, many new charter type boats no longer bother with a proper nav station. I like good side decks for safe for and aft traffic in rough seas. A boat that is designed to properly fit a dodger and Bimini. A good shower on-board and good access for your dingy. My wife likes a dry cockpit and shade from the sun. Good storage for long passages. Proper sized area to take house batteries, many wekender boats really don’t have room for a decent battery bank. And finally and very important I want a boat that can sail, everyone spends time and money on storm sails etc and most of the time they are never used, you do need to be able to deal with rough weather but odds are that much of your sailing will be in light winds and many of the cruising boats people choose are terrible in light winds��
Basically motor boats with sails so be sure to buy something that will sail in winds below 15 knots. Cheers, R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 13:16   #35

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Thanks for the data.
The Freedom is a 45CC. Your info is for a 42CC.
Do you have the data for the 45?

Thanks
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 14:01   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

June is not the best time to head south as it's the beginning of the hurricane season. We did it but you have to be aware of defensive measures to stay out of their path.

Just delivered my new to me 28' boat fron SF to SoCal after three weeks of prep work for a boat that was mostly ready to go. Didn't have the time to actually sail the boat and find all it's idiosyncracies which caused major problems on the first day of the sail south. That was just for a four day coastal sail. Tackling the long voyage to the Marquesas without at least a few days at sea wouldn't be smart. I suppose if you got lucky, bought a boat tomorrow, did a hardcore equipping, provisioning, and a two or three day out and in at sea you might have some idea of whether you're ready to tackle a long voyage.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 14:17   #37

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

The Tayana is a BOB Perry design So is west sail , Valiant . Perry has a web site and you can call him he will answer questions. ! Best of luck
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 14:27   #38
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
The Tayana is a BOB Perry design So is west sail , Valiant . Perry has a web site and you can call him he will answer questions. ! Best of luck
The Tayana (Vancouver) 42 is a Robert Harris (1922-1914) design, not Bob Perry. However, Bob Perry did design the Tayana 37.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:01   #39
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiCountryDon View Post
Thanks for the data.
The Freedom is a 45CC. Your info is for a 42CC.
Do you have the data for the 45?

Thanks
The following is for the Freedom 45.
SA/DISP 14.49
DISP/LWL 250
COMFORT 29.6
CAPSIZE RISK 1.90
VHULL 7.87

Many sailboat ratios are available at saildata.com. NOTE: SA/DISP requires the 100% forward sail area but many manufacturers inflate this measurement with originally provided oversize sails, i.e.115% genoa, in their sales brochures total sail area numbers. You can compute this yourself if you get the I,J,P,E measurements...I did that here.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:07   #40

The fellow who recommended the Cheoy Lee made a good choice. Any of the Robert Perry designed boats are very good for ocean cruising. I sailed from NY to Australia, mostly solo on a 37 footer designed by Robert Perry. Tayana, Nan-Tai, Cheoy Lee are all very well suited for rough ocean sailing.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:31   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I can see a good story coming up. Please keep us posted ( If you have time )
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 16:23   #42

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Wait a minute? You don't have the boat yet, but plan to leave in June? While all the boats listed can make great cruising boats, if you close on a boat in the next week or so you will have about a month to prepare. Not possible. Also, June is too late to leave unless you are planning a fly by of the South Pacific.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 17:16   #43

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I'm surprised that a couple of guys with as much experience as the OP indicates do not already have strong opinions on the boats listed. Most sailors are pretty dogmatic about cruising boats. Having a group of open minded individuals sure will help keep this plan moving forward.

Matt
Old 17-04-2019, 17:17   #44

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

In late May I bought Unicorn a 41ft ketch built for Bruce King and designed by him. Left Ventura 8 weeks later after putting on self steering, new sails, extra rigging, liferaft, medical kit, GPS, satellite radio and a few tools etc plus food and a hand pump water maker. I also took 6 buckets to bail out the cockpit as it was rather large, the reason for 6 was in case they got thrown over the side in a panic, don't ask how I know !!! Trip to Australia was 64 days.
Because I was 69 at the time I felt the need to leave in a hurry as my life was running out fast !! I gather that you are in the same situation. Old people have to move fast, this is something that younger people cannot understand.
My advise is to buy a boat that is the equipped best and has been out there recently. Just take enough tools and spares etc to fix if things go wrong..... which they will. Good luck.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 17:50   #45

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I knew it would only take a few answers before someone started bagging hunters. Have you ever owned a hunter my boat sailed from Canada to Australia mate no worries .
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, passage