Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 21:33   #1

Which Sailing Club to Join in the San Francisco Area ?

I'm new to sailing took ASA's Basic Keel Boat class @ Tradewinds in Richmond, but also checked out OCSC in Berkeley and not all that familiar with the others in the area. Really looking to meet other fun multi sport people to sail & hang out with.
Any suggestions on which club to join?
Maryamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 00:49   #2

Boat: 1983 Pearson 303
Re: Which Sailing Club to Join in the San Francisco Area ?

Were you on the Oakland meetup sail this evening?
groggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 09:54   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pick up a copy of Latitude38, Maryamee, and you'll be able to learn just about everything you need to know regarding what's available in the Bay Area for sailors of all skill levels and interests. You can also access it online.

TaoJones
Old 18-08-2011, 10:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryamee View Post
I'm new to sailing took ASA's Basic Keel Boat class @ Tradewinds in Richmond, but also checked out OCSC in Berkeley and not all that familiar with the others in the area. Really looking to meet other fun multi sport people to sail & hang out with.
Any suggestions on which club to join?
There are so many ways to get experience. After BKB I bought myself a daysailer / large dinghy and learnt on that for a couple of years, also doing BCC.

Many promote the "crewing on other peoples boat" approach.

Sailing schools are great too, I joined one after BCC and took advantage of cheap chartering for a year or two. Great way to get some experience as a skipper.

I'm a fan of Spinnaker in Redwood City. I'm sure OCSC and Tradewinds are fine too. There's a not-for-profit one in Berkeley.

For you, isn't convenience for Sacramento an issue? Doesn't that make Richmond the best option at least as far as travelling time goes?

Finally, what about this outfit, IN Sacramento. A friend of mine is a member. They do some fun small boat sailing in Lake Washington and the Delta.

LWSC
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 10:33   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Encinal on the Estuary in Alameda has a good sailing program and very active summer sail training for the kids. I'm not a member but have a friend who is and hung out there a bit when I had my boat in Alameda.

Other than that, check out the clubs for how active their members are in sailing. Some clubs are more power boat oriented, others sail and many in between. Some are just social clubs and barely know what a boat is.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 10:43   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

another option: Learn to Sail San Francisco Bay with Club Nautique Sailing School and Powerboating School | Sailing Club - Non Members Welcome

We took our boat up to Petaluma a few weeks ago, and there were at least a dozen club nautique boats up there for one of their events.

seemed like nice folk.
Old 18-08-2011, 13:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
another option: Learn to Sail San Francisco Bay with Club Nautique Sailing School and Powerboating School | Sailing Club - Non Members Welcome

We took our boat up to Petaluma a few weeks ago, and there were at least a dozen club nautique boats up there for one of their events.

seemed like nice folk.
Ooh thank you! That helps give me an idea where to start.
Old 18-08-2011, 13:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
Encinal on the Estuary in Alameda has a good sailing program and very active summer sail training for the kids. I'm not a member but have a friend who is and hung out there a bit when I had my boat in Alameda.

Other than that, check out the clubs for how active their members are in sailing. Some clubs are more power boat oriented, others sail and many in between. Some are just social clubs and barely know what a boat is.
Thank you, I heard about the place in Alameda & that the estuary is beautiful!
Old 18-08-2011, 13:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF

There are so many ways to get experience. After BKB I bought myself a daysailer / large dinghy and learnt on that for a couple of years, also doing BCC.

Many promote the "crewing on other peoples boat" approach.

Sailing schools are great too, I joined one after BCC and took advantage of cheap chartering for a year or two. Great way to get some experience as a skipper.

I'm a fan of Spinnaker in Redwood City. I'm sure OCSC and Tradewinds are fine too. There's a not-for-profit one in Berkeley.

For you, isn't convenience for Sacramento an issue? Doesn't that make Richmond the best option at least as far as travelling time goes?

Finally, what about this outfit, IN Sacramento. A friend of mine is a member. They do some fun small boat sailing in Lake Washington and the Delta.

LWSC
Awesome! Great info!
Lots to look into.
Distance is no big deal for me as I have a company car & gas card. I also have to travel a lot for my other hobbies so I tend to look @ distance & quality combined.
Having said that Redwood City is a bit far, hoping to settle on somewhere in East Bay
Old 18-08-2011, 13:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones
Pick up a copy of Latitude38, Maryamee, and you'll be able to learn just about everything you need to know regarding what's available in the Bay Area for sailors of all skill levels and interests. You can also access it online.

TaoJones
Thanks Tao, that's great advice. Good to know it's online too
Old 18-08-2011, 13:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by groggy
Were you on the Oakland meetup sail this evening?
No, & that's the problem... I didnt even know about it.
Can't make weekdays anyway, but weekends I'm good.

Tags
sailing, san francisco