Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 04:50   #16

Re: Whitsundays Itinerary

I used to run a fleet of bareboats out of Happy Bay, many years ago, & cruised the area for some years in my own yacht.

Just a few of the more unusual.
The black lip oysters in the south eastern part of Double Bay are huge.

The beach on the Western side of Henning island is a nice seldom used anchorage, & is a good spot for a private barbeque. If the goats are still there the island is good for a bit of a ramble, as they have kept the scrub thinner than other islands.

The best coral in the Whitsundays unless you can get right out to Net, Knuckle & Kennedy reefs, is in a small bay on the south-western corner of Haselwood Island, in behind little Nicolson Island. It is only a dive anchorage, but close to Whitehaven beach for an overnight stop.

If it's too windy for even a dive anchorage, the reef to the south of Haselwood is accessible from the anchorage toward the northern tip, with a low narrow strip to cross to the south of the island. Only accessible at low tide, & the walk across the coral flat is about 600 metres, but is interesting in itself. Be careful of the tide, it comes in quickly, & it's a long swim if you left it too late.

If you like exploring by dingy there is a deep water creek in muddy bay on the mainland, opposite Happy bay. We used to hide all our boats in there in cyclones, but needed a fair bit of tide to cross the muddy flat, which dries. The boats were always safe in there, but the crews suffered from sand flies when the wind dropped.

Have fun, I wish I could still do it myself.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 14:44   #17

When planning movements in the Whitsunday passage it's always a good idea to consider the tides.

They flood south, and can get up around a couple of knots. A flooding tide against a 20+ knot S or SE wind can result in steep short waves. Not dangerous, but can be uncomfortable.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:49   #18
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
When planning movements in the Whitsunday passage it's always a good idea to consider the tides.

They flood south, and can get up around a couple of knots. A flooding tide against a 20+ knot S or SE wind can result in steep short waves. Not dangerous, but can be uncomfortable.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind - gotta keep the family happy Especially as this is a pre-requisite trip before we buy our own cat and move onboard
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote