Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 11:27   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Who has taken the ASA 101/103/104 exams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdog View Post
I’ve taken the ASA 101 but I’m pretty rusty at the moment. Would jumping into 103+104 be a good idea or would a refresher of 101 + sailing skills be required first ?

If you feel rusty do a 1/2 day charter to knock off the cob webs.

Orrr just review the book stuff as it is fairly straight forward, just review the questions at the end of each section. If you do that you will be ahead of many returning students.

IMHO you are spending some darn good money for 103/104. Investing in a 1/2 or full day captained charter before the class with the understanding it is a refresher will boost your confidence. The 1/2 day could be a little 30 footer, the physics is all the same. You then walk into the class without feeling “out of shape”.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 19:52   #32

Boat: Catalina
Re: Who has taken the ASA 101/103/104 exams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There is a lot of ovelap in the 101/103 curriculum (needs to be restructured a bit IMHO).

With some text book review on your own and maybe a little on the water review with instructor during class you will likely do fine.

For text book review I suggest using the ASA 101 standard as a review guideline, you can find it in your log book or the ASA web site.
Thanks. I still have the book and material so reading up on it would be no problems.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 19:59   #33

Boat: Catalina
Re: Who has taken the ASA 101/103/104 exams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
When we do our seven and ten day live aboard Cruise and Learn courses, we cover ASA 101, 103 & 104. The curriculum is combined in a way that even if you already have your ASA 101, it becomes a review of the material - not a separate course. I think that this way it works well combining a class with students who might come in with different levels of sailing experience.

Definitely check with your school of choice, but I think this is a fairly common way to do it. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions I can help you with (Chris@LTDsailing.com).
Thankyou Chris. This has really put my mind at rest on how to achieve my sailing dream. After reading the bio’s of you and your fellow instructors I can see that you have been through this too !!

I didn’t realise that there were courses like this available and now I know!!!. I’ll definitely take your advice into account.

What I like the idea of is approaching this from a newbie perspective. It would set me straight on any bad habits or things I’ve forgotten and also reinforce what I might have correctly remembered. I really like the idea of immersion courses as that keeps things fresh for me and as I am eventually planning to buy and move on to my own boat it will set me up correctly. The other thought is that the course material may may be more “current” than when I did mine 15 years ago !!

I believe an investment in knowledge like this is money well spent so do-overs of stuff I know is no biggie. And I know the ASA and RYA have excellent curricula.

Oh yeah and this would also be an incredibly well deserved vacation too !!!! :-D
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa