Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2020, 11:03   #61

Re: Why can't I use film for heat and uv control?

Arrange a cover for them for when you aren't using the boat.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 11:08   #62

Boat: CAL 2-27

Why is tempered safety glass not used on boats? Seems like it would solve a lot of problems. I mean most openings are not that big to be unsafe are they?
Ric Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 12:05   #63

Boat: Tartan 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post

Perhaps common marine sealers are not ideal for this application. Just a thought.
Dow Corning DC795 is the best sealant for window bedding.
Kintala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 15:19   #64

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
we use uv film on the inside of numerous windows and hatches - and it's super effective.

however i don't think the stuff we use would last on the outside. weather etc would get it off fairly quickly

of course there might be other (more expensive) stuff designed for the outside

incidentally, as a cheaper alternative to the sunbrella hatch covers, in our sleeping cabins we use silver duct tape. reflective so keeps the heat out, and darkens the room nicely.

to further darken the cabin during summer, we're trialing some nicely patterned contact (the stuff used to line shelves or cover books) on the inside of the hatch. so far works / lasts well...

cheers,
Hi, so your hatches are acrylic? and they don't craze? how many years craze free?
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 16:51   #65

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
The tropical sun is degrading my plexi cabin windows and hatches. Will an exerior application of solar/uv control film stop this or at least retard it to some degree?
use tempered glass. 9 mm, any tint you want, even curved , will not break, and cheaper then plastic. just research for it. mine have been on my boat for 20 years.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 18:35   #66

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4evr View Post
Hi, so your hatches are acrylic? and they don't craze? how many years craze free?
sorry : i don't know what the hatches are made of...whatever mr lewmar uses. they were already badly crazed (too many years in tropical sun) so the duct tape we put on can't make things any worse

with the deck hatches in the bedrooms we are trying to block out the sunlight as completely as possible. i've thought about painting them but the tape is easier.

the roof hatches in the saloon (also lewmar, also badly crazed) have UF film on the inside and it's very effective to keep heat out & still allow light in but won't do anything to protect the hatch material (whatever it is). as said, it's already badly crazed so cannot get any worse. ther film does mean the crazing can't be seen tho !

all our very extensive side windows are glass and this has the UV film on the inside as well

if using duct tape on the outside of a new hatch, i suspect that it would give complete protection to whatever the hatch material is. you are basically applying a sacrificial surface...

cheers,
Old 13-11-2020, 23:10   #67

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

Are there any of you with a successful experience of replacing the two VERY long single windows of the Maxi yachts ? See photos.
They are screwed on, and sealed with butyl band. This is the design by the maker. But always leaking...

I have a large roof over my patio made of 1x1 meter tempered 12mm glasses on a steel frame, the glasses mounted with just Dow silicone.
Works perfect.

I'm considering to make a change from the single smokey color PC plate to 4 small 8mm tempered glass windows, bonded by Dow silicone. No screws.
By doing so, I can even put 3M film on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starboard side Maxi 87.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	226934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view Maxi 87.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	226935  

carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 08:59   #68

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Plastic glazing

Where to get it is another question.
Now we are talking... A ceramic coated sun blocking film. Where to get it at smaller dimensions?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 09:18   #69

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Now we are talking... A ceramic coated sun blocking film. Where to get it at smaller dimensions?
Might try this. I can give you my offcuts if I do.

My window are 48” x 48”
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 12:26   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Might try this. I can give you my offcuts if I do.

My window are 48” x 48”
Hey thanks chotu. But there is still the concern about adhesive outgassing impact on plastic surfaces.
Old 14-11-2020, 12:43   #71

Quote:
Hey thanks chotu. But there is still the concern about adhesive outgassing impact on plastic surfaces.
This is what I was talking about Waaaaaay back in the beginning of the thread. Old technology. Remember I said that?

These new films are the new technology I have been talking about all along that supposedly has solved dealing with the plastic glazing choices like polycarbonate or acrylic off gassing in heat and thermal expansion.

THIS is the current state of affairs. Not what people posted in the beginning of the thread.
Old 14-11-2020, 15:25   #72

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
This is what I was talking about Waaaaaay back in the beginning of the thread. Old technology. Remember I said that?

These new films are the new technology I have been talking about all along that supposedly has solved dealing with the plastic glazing choices like polycarbonate or acrylic off gassing in heat and thermal expansion.

THIS is the current state of affairs. Not what people posted in the beginning of the thread.
Any links to online suppliers / brands?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 15:30   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Any links to online suppliers / brands?
I was looking at this one.

https://opaluxwindowfilms.com/window...-polycarbonate
Old 15-11-2020, 10:41   #74

Quote:

Yes, thanks for jogging my memory. Now that my original question is answered, has anyone applied a metalized solar control film to the outside of their Windows and where can I buy what you applied?
Old 17-11-2020, 10:17   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
priming is a joke, its just a way to sell more product. the sanding (moderately rough grit #220) gives it a tough mechanical bond. you should try one window, you might be pleasantly surprised. if you do, sand as much surface area on the ploycarb as you can get away with. ive taken small windows off that have been sanded and they take the surface gel coat off before releasing from the plexi. laser etching is the ultimate way to go but not practical at a dock.
Quote:
Looks intriguing but difficult to buy. How about this https://www.windowtint.com/products/...w-tinting-film