Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2006, 18:01   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
irwinsailor if you have not done so before check out:

http://www.setsail.com

This is a couple that cruise, not day sail, on 85+ ft boats. Although I am sure they could handle a 27ft boat I doubt they would be interested or think it was safer or more comfortable than their current boat.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 07:00   #47

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Agree.... but

[QUOTE]irwinsailor once whispered in the wind:
Quote:
markpj23 once whispered in the wind:

Any choice we make in life is a matrix of the compromises and trade-offs that make sense to us. Can't really say that one person's choices are better or worse than others.... since they are right for them.

: cheers:
Quote:
[/QUOTE

Well said. I could not agree more. [/B]
A agree with this also. However, I wonder how many 'entry level' Sailors are able to appreciate the decision? I don't want to sound patronizing, as I am certainly not the expert on all matters. The thread started with the question 'Why do occasional Sailors buy large?' I very nearly bought more boat then I needed, and doubt I would have sailed nearly as much. I see lots of larger boats sitting at the docks unused, and wonder if others have not made an error in 'buying large'.

I am not biased against large boats, I enjoy meeting ALL Sailors (and even some power boaters) when I am out and about. I appreciate the different styles others develop, and reserve my right to change my opinions as I move forward.

Just wonder about all those boats sitting... wonder if those folks would be more inclined to sail if they had smaller boats......

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 07:32   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I think one thing that would allow people to use their boats more would be if they did not need to work so much to pay for them. When we were at the marina we used our boat during the week and would somtimes stay home on the weekends because it was so busy and noisy on the water. Those that would come on the weekend to use their boats no doubt thought that our boat never left the slip. Our boat was out many days per week. I am lucky that I don't have a job anylonger and can go out anytime I want. I'm going down to the boat in a few minutes as a matter of fact!
Old 18-01-2006, 11:24   #49

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hmmmmmmm

Iteresting thread eh?
I'd certainly agree people buy the biggest boat they feel they can comfortably hande and afford - but wonder why all the posters so far seem to be of the male sex?
Would be good to get the views of both lady sailors and ladies who sail so congrats to the administration for setting up the female side to the site.
Cheers
JOHN
swagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 12:20   #50

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
I like to know that one of us can manage the boat alone if need be. I confess that I find this a bit more daunting when docking this boat with its longish bowsprit.
Practice and more practice for me, when conditions are good, and both of us are available. Not time to learn when things are going wrong.
My husband had grown up sailing, I started sailing 5 1/2 years ago. It has been a steep learning curve, but I would not give it up.
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 12:21   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You don't beleive me when I said that my Wife bought our boat?
Old 18-01-2006, 12:27   #52

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
I certainly believe you, since our larger boat, was my idea. It was also my idea to move aboard full time.
Cheers
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006, 12:33   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Wife is packing stuff everyday. I told her to stop because it would be nice to keep our stuff until we move aboard. She wants out of here so bad that I think she will leave me if we don't move to the boat by spring.
Old 18-01-2006, 20:18   #54

Hi,
My husband and I have had quite a few boats (People refer to him as Scott's yatchs !) Petrel, our 34 foot ketch is my all time favorite boat on the ocean, she was very sea kindly and dry! Also very easy even in bad weather and my first boat. We now live on a 40 foot ketch and she is great to live on and we will probably cruse on her but she can be a lot of boat for us to handle. I understand that with all of the systems that can be installed people can single hand 100+ boats. In our experience systems break!! I would not want to try any bigger boat with a major failing. We lost our packing gland once and I bailed in BIG seas for hours with a 5 gallon bucket after all 3 bilge pumps quit!! I wish that the first time buyers could be told that they can always buy bigger later and give a smaller boat first. I think that a lot less boats would be left at dock if people could have more fun and less stress.
Nice to talk to you all.
Susan
Old 18-01-2006, 21:17   #55

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Big boat zero skills

Not mentioned yet is the fact that many folks who purchase larger boats, that do not get used much, had about zero sailing skills when they purchased the boat. And they will never get all the skills if that is all they use the boat for, and all they ever sail. One of the joys of having money.
With motorcycles we used to say you can go from zero to dead much quicker with this new faster model.
But why should we gripe ? Worrying about what other people do or think is not my strong point.
I know who my fellow cruisers are, and who my fellow racers are.
The sailing fleet in our club actively encourages both, and we provide junior and adult sailing lessons.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 14:24   #56

Boat: S2 11.0C 36' Puka Wai
Quote:
sundari once whispered in the wind:
Hi,
she is great to live on and we will probably cruse on her but she can be a lot of boat for us to handle. Susan
Is [/B]cruse[/B] a misspelling of cruise.. or curse?
Old 19-01-2006, 17:04   #57

I'd recommend any newbie, to get a small sailboat like a Catalina 30. Or similar?

Easier to handle. And not being a overburden to the newbie. Til he/she gets used to the familar equipment and handling.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 18:44   #58
Kai Nui

Thermal, Sundari says to tell you "both"
Kevin, not to make you an example, but this might be your only chance to be a "good example"
Living proof that this forum has changed the way new cruisers look at cruising and make choices about it. In your first posts I seem to remember you were thinking in the 50 or 60 foot range. You have learned well grasshopper
Now all we need to do is get some of these new boat buyers to check out the forum before they comit to a life of servitude for a giant boat that they will never sail I think it should be added to the brochures!
Old 19-01-2006, 20:10   #59

Thanks Kai. You're a good sensai!!

I only learned from the best!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 20:17   #60
Kai Nui