Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 17:01   #46

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Why do they sell Towing Coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Just think about it, if $200 can get you $2,000 of service, how can they stay in business?
Well because they collect $4,000 in payments and 1 of 20 ever need the help from them.
So chances are very good you won't need any help. Scoobert, however, I recommend maximum full coverage.

I would suggest instead, you spend the funds on more equipment to make you self-reliant, like maybe a big ass winch that can pull your boat out of a grounding,
or an inflatable salvage bag. Or a freezer to give cold beer or ice cream to your neighbors to help you.
You are obviously not in the insurance business.....guys with big brains and big spreadsheets know how to do it and have people stay in business....captains don't usually make much money for the hours the dedicate. Owners work their butts off for the most part and make money commensurate with any small business risks and effort.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 17:07   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
How does that Sea tow international policy work?

I would imagine most emergencies overseas would be considered salvage by Sea tow and not covered. IE aground on a reef in the Tuamotos, etc. Can't imagine sea tow would do much for you there.
Not really...call 1-800 4 Sea Tow and ask...they will be glad to answer.

The previous owner of my boat had to have it towed back from the Bahamas by BoatUS.... the BoatUS charge was covered...but the Bahamas according to him charge the towing companies for coming over and towing...I think his 'Bahamian" fees were over a $1000. Not sure if you added the towing company fees if the $5000 Sea Tow or $3000 BoatUS would cover the several hundred mile tow either...but $5000 would go a long way considering it only cost $170 for the year. If you were just coming back from Bimini it may be fully covered except the "Bahamian" fee...as we often to 60 mile up here in NJ back from the canyons for sportfish who break down out there.

No everything always fall into salvage....some companies I'm sure are shady...just like in any type of business...but the vast majority are fine and willing t work with you and explain in great detail any questions you have.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:09   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I didn't tip the tow boat operator who towed me a couple miles up the potomac river...should I have?
I think a tip for an event like this is totally by your pleasure and without expectation! 'absolutely no pressure to tip!
Old 23-09-2013, 17:10   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

towing is sold because, simply, there is a market for it.
impatience with grounding,
ohdontwannasail so when motor breaks down from air in line or dirt in fuel, call a tow. easy peasy.
forgot to bring enough fuel--easy --call a tow boat. no problem donot have to ever again be responsible for your own actions.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 17:15   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
towing is sold because, simply, there is a market for it.
impatience with grounding,
ohdontwannasail so when motor breaks down from air in line or dirt in fuel, call a tow. easy peasy.
forgot to bring enough fuel--easy --call a tow boat. no problem donot have to ever again be responsible for your own actions.
While I agree with a lot of people not being self sufficient...some places like where I am you can't sail through the bridges so you have to get towed back to your home dock or go elsewhere...so the $170 or so most people feel is well spent rather than the aggravation of anchoring on a lee shore so they can fix their problem (if fixable) or sail many miles away from their home base to be fixed.

Also grounding can lead to loss of a boat...if you are partially hung on a sandbank with deep water next to it...you can roll to the point where when the tide comes in...the boat can fill with water before floating free. Even kedging and mast tricks can't always fix it either.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:49   #51

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Was relation to post #32.

I wasn't looking to be contrary, but it would seem like them looking to kick you a few bucks you paid to a fisherman is a far cry from what I would call "international" towing.

I'll have to check out the Sea tow website.
Re my post #32: We'd blown a head gasket. No way for me to fix that while "out there" and hove to. We sailed to quite near the harbour entrance before making contact. Harbour Captain came out with his friend in the friends 20-something foot power boat. Kind of a runabout with inboard motor, not a fisherman's Panga.

They charged USD 250. But hey! The Harbour Captain gave us two, free, cold bottles of Dos Equis cerveza while we did paperwork ashore. Seemed like a fair deal to us!

My wife is German, I'm from the USA, our boat is registered in Austria, and we were towed in Mexico... Isn't that international?
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 13:42   #52
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
My very first hour on my boat (or any boat for that matter) I motored down the okeechobee waterway and decided to practice anchoring. I didn't know about floating dinghy painters, so fouled my prop when backing down. Water was black as coal, alligators on shore. I'm from Wash DC where we have snakes and barracudas (lawyers and politicians) but no alligators and I was not going in that water to be eaten alive. Called Boat US and was told that the nearest franchise was in ft Myers and it would be a couple of thousand dollars to get a tow boat to me and extra if I wanted someone to unfoul the prop.
It took me two days of diving in 30 second bursts once every couple of hours to cut the line off off the prop. People tell me I was silly for being afraid, but dang...what if things hadn't gone so well!? Anyway, I sooo wished for a tow boat that day.

its a fear of what you cannot see.
i fouled my prop in new york harbor. i didnt even want to stick my hand in. it was dark outside, and all i could think was, there has got to be sharks here.
here it is after i got it out.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 14:00   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Sea tow seems to offer only "nationwide" coverage. Not sure why they covered a tow in ?Mexico. Never heard of that before and maybe something they offered for a short time.

This is really not "insurance" anyway, but some type of service plan.
Old 24-09-2013, 14:20   #54

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Sea tow seems to offer only "nationwide" coverage. Not sure why they covered a tow in ?Mexico. Never heard of that before and maybe something they offered for a short time.

This is really not "insurance" anyway, but some type of service plan.
Sea Tow will cover a tow from Bahamas, Mexico or Canada according to their "universal towing coverage" which will cover up to $5k of the tow cost.

At least that is what the Membership agreement says for a Gold member.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 14:22   #55

seatoad doesnt work here--pangas is us does tho---and ye call him by yelling ... 500 pesos gets ye out of trouble and man is fisherman happy,especially in septi-hambre, when no tourists are here and food is short

i think seatoad means close to usa mexico....
Old 24-09-2013, 14:35   #56

Boat: Leopard 40
Yeah I think they are saying we will "reimburse you up to $5k" if you have to be towed from Mexico anywhere south of Ensenada. That is how I am reading it but I'm no good with legalease.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 14:38   #57

2 different parts..if a boat is available...the boat comes and tows...if not up to $5000 tow insurance covers you...same company for the same fee.
Old 24-09-2013, 14:44   #58

wonder how they would deal with pangeros.....as there are no towboats here. only fishermen in pangas and panga tour boats and taxis
Old 24-09-2013, 14:56   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
wonder how they would deal with pangeros.....as there are no towboats here. only fishermen in pangas and panga tour boats and taxis
if approved up front...and you get a receipt...you'll probably get a check.

can't say for sure but a call doesn't hurt...1-800-4 SeaTow or check the BoatUS website