Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2019, 13:34   #46

Re: Why do you cruise?

There is nothing like a long ocean passage (my longest was 30 days) to focus the mind in the here and now, to a sort of zen like meditative state to isolate one from all shore side concerns.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 14:16   #47

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post
There is nothing like a long ocean passage (my longest was 30 days) to focus the mind in the here and now, to a sort of zen like meditative state to isolate one from all shore side concerns.
Nice just don't read Outerbridge Reach by Robert Stone which was a novel about Donald Crowhurst
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 14:24   #48

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainStone View Post
...trying to figure out my life.
You may have hit on one of the best reasons, right there.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 16:08   #49

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well if you sail to an island and anchor, there will be beach/sand and water.

Also you don't really need a very large boat to sail to an island or the islands 25' - 27' should do it

After you've been at anchor for a while with not a lot to do, you notice your solar output is off by .2 volts so you begin to think this over then before you know it you have a major problem on your hands that must be fixed at all costs! So you start working on it.

Then you might notice a bit of corrosion on a thru-hull, section of rigging, or on your anchor chain so you start pm'ing all that stuff

And it goes from there

At the end of the day since you have spent a lot of time in the sun fixing/pm'ing all this stuff, you feel great from the sun high you got and think I love cruising!

Then you meet a neighboring boat and find out he has many of the same "problems" that you do! So you start discussing all those "problems"

Then you might decide to sail someplace else and see what's happening there

When it rains, is cold, or the anchorage turns rough, that's a different story
Me too!
Except for cold days we just cuddle up....
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 17:16   #50

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

I lived on land . I mowed grass ,raked leaves,cleaned house ,repair things that broke remodeled parts of the house. Then had a car to work on maintain fix . I still have to maintain things boat,engine,dingy and outboard. We still cook ,desalinate our own water . Make my electricity. We watch a movie now and the. We travel at 5 to 6 mph look at the land scape. We might see a cove and go drop an anchor. Life is an adventure.we are living our dream for us
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 17:23   #51

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

if you need to ask, its not for you.

Quote:
Every thread on this board discusses either the endless maintenance, ubiquitous hardships, inevitable tradeoffs, unavoidable sacrifices, high costs, injuries or sometimes deaths associated with cruising.

Despite all that, you are out there doing it anyway.

Why? What is worth all that? What is a lubber like me missing?

If I buy a bigger boat and cruise to an island anchorage, will I also not want to come back?

What's out there?
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 18:16   #52

Quote:
Why? What is worth all that? What is a lubber like me missing? If I buy a bigger boat and cruise to an island anchorage, will I also not want to come back? What's out there?
I motored, Commander on a rescue vessel for 31 years, 716 rescues on many parts of North America and the Caribean, and sailed and fished and I Captained a tug boat pushing barges and now I am upgrading my ticket to be a Captain on a cruise line... you do not have to be crazy to be on the water... just find good friends that are and they will train you to love to be freeee!!!! and interesting to others and interested in others or not!! At 68, I have a dream job, Captain for a cruise line and paid to talk and enjoy people or I can choose to stay in the wheel house.... I hope I can do this for another 25 years....
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 20:35   #53
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Howard View Post

More so solo. The past and future become a bit irrelevant, just do what needs done there and then. Which might be watching dolphins phosphorescent trails at 3am
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 20:39   #54

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Why do i cruise?
Dirt people bad.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 21:28   #55

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Every thread on this board discusses either the endless maintenance, ubiquitous hardships, inevitable tradeoffs, unavoidable sacrifices, high costs, injuries or sometimes deaths associated with cruising.

If I buy a bigger boat and cruise to an island anchorage, will I also not want to come back?

What's out there?
If you have to ask- you will not understand...
Old 26-10-2019, 21:50   #56

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Well I for one certainly aren't just out there to idle about, drink rum and have fun; it's actually a never ending and thankless job of work, which I'm magnanimously undertaking without pay and indeed even at my own expense, is a selfless effort to support the international marine and tourist industries.
I don't want to have to do it, but somebody must.
Old 27-10-2019, 00:16   #57

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
If you have to ask- you will not understand...
Ya know, this is likely the crux of the matter. Such questions, ones without real answers, define the one who questions as unlikely to comprehend our attempts to inform him simply because if he had the basis for comprehension, the question would never have been asked.

Maybe.

Jim
Old 27-10-2019, 00:32   #58

Quote:

What's out there?
A better question: Why do you want to sit in a cubicle for the rest of your life punching keys on a cupter and going to the next staff meeting?

I can do that from the boat in shorts and a tshirt while watching dolphins play around the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 04:07   #59

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A better question: Why do you want to sit in a cubicle for the rest of your life punching keys on a cupter and going to the next staff meeting?

I can do that from the boat in shorts and a tshirt while watching dolphins play around the boat.
Why not both? At least until you get old and decrepit then you can slow down a bit

I saw dolphins yesterday while out sailing. There were three of them that I saw then they went directly under the boat. I was moving about 6 knots and they must have cleared the bottom of the keel by a foot.

Their systems must have been recently calibrated it appeared!
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 04:28   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Why not both? At least until you get old and decrepit then you can slow down a bit

I saw dolphins yesterday while out sailing. There were three of them that I saw then they went directly under the boat. I was moving about 6 knots and they must have cleared the bottom of the keel by a foot.

Their systems must have been recently calibrated it appeared!
Because if I'm sitting in a cubicle "FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE"...you can't do both.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, grass