Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2021, 12:41   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Why don't boat brokers respond to emails?

everybody is a tire kicker until they find something they want to buy.
Old 21-05-2021, 13:00   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I must have hit a nerve with tire kicker. Yep, I guess a good salesman can turn a tire kicker into a sale providing they have the resources. I'd guess the % of time spent isn't worth it. It was just a suggestion as how to get or not get a response.
I'm no fan of brokers or salesmen but time is money. They are like other people folks out to make a living.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:05   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Well, I was actively looking at boats and only 1 of the salesmen would actually get back to me timely and remember follow ups. Unfortunately, I didn’t like his boat brand much and went with one that had decent follow up. Now, after giving them my deposit, I need 4 emails before getting one response and similar on the phone experience. Quite annoying with a boat over $200k with options and trying to get more dealer added things during delivery (the reasons for my emails). Seems like you need to be spending $400-500k to get decent service with dealers these days.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:46   #19

Boat: Lagoon TPI

Boats are synonymous with "Dreamers" ! Recently sold my cat, privately. The boat was advertised on the internet. 5500 views in 3 weeks. 20 responses. Some obviously a waist of time ! "I want to show my wife" etc. 4 of the first 5 to view made offers. 2 Acceptable. Sold ! 2 of the responses were brokers.
Like previous posters said respond with direct questions ie do you have more pics of engine room NOT more pics please ?
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:47   #20

My experience is exactly the same - i have 200K pounds sterling to spend but no broker is interested in the work of getting a sale. It’s too easy for them. Covid has changed the market and now suddenly there are not enough boats to meet demand. (Yeah, crazy right?!) Brokers, almost but not all, are worse than real estate sellers. Dishonest, crooked, corrupt, is an understatement.
AMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:55   #21

My experience is exactly the same - i have 200K pounds sterling to spend but no broker is interested in the work of getting a sale. It’s too easy for them. Covid has changed the market and now suddenly there are not enough boats to meet demand. (Yeah, crazy right?!) Brokers, almost but not all, are worse than real estate sellers. Dishonest, crooked, corrupt, is an understatement.
AMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 14:00   #22

Just to lighten up the conversation...

We were chatting with a major east coast boat dealer we know. My lovely partner asked him what people in the boat business call the "non-serious" customer... the kind of guy a car salesman would call a "tire-kicker." He looked at us in thought... but his son butted in with an answer right away:

"Gopher whistles."

Say what????

"They look though the boat, wide-eyed, and ask, 'What's she go'fer?'"

"As equipped, $765,000"

and walks away....

Now you know...
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 15:25   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

This is not new at all. Brokers aren't interested in selling low dollar boats. Like a realtor would rather sell on Worth Ave. than in section 8 neighborhoods. Of course low dollar is relative. When I looked for my first bigger boat many years ago I had a wad of cash. I came to realize that if I walked into a Ferrari dealership with that much cash they'd roll out the red carpet, Champagne, and the salesmen would cut each others throat to get a walk in like that. In the yachting world, that amount of cash would rarely raise an eyebrow.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat broker, broker, email